First cruise

Missymssy

I'm cruising for first time (Miami-Miami) in May. I have heard that RSS is a bit less casual after 6 in all public areas, not just dining rooms. Are Capri pants acceptable? I am traveling with my 19 year old neice, who doesn't care to get dressed up much.

Lol. I don't want her limited to the cabin all cruise!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Capris are not mentioned in the "Elegant Casual" dress code that Regent has but we do see them occasionally. Dressy capris with a nice blouse are probably fine - especially on a younger person. The big "no-no's" after 6:00 p.m. are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, caps and flip-flops. Also, the dress code is in effect throughout the ship - not only in restaurants.

Hope that you and your niece enjoy your first Regent cruise.:D

I almost hesitate to suggest this because it'll probably tell you not only what you want to know, but maybe much more than you want to know. But: There are some former threads on just the question you ask-- lots of feedback, all sorts of in-put. If you feel like doing it, just put the word "capris" in the search box, and you'll see a plethora of answers.

Would you say that the dress code on Regent (especially the Explorer) is similar to Crystal? We have only sailed Crystal and on evenings after 6.00 we often see people in what I would call "dress jeans" - well pressed, dark and no tears etc with a collared shirt and sports jacket and it looks very smart and in my opinion smarter than dockers or chinos. This is how my husband also likes to dress for dinner on occasion and wondering if that would be suitable on Regent as it is on Crystal.

Lots and lots of postings about dress jeans as well. The "search" function is often very useful-- gives you the whole range of answers. People will no doubt respond here too, but if you want to see the gamut of ideas, that's a simple way to find them. (I guess the "bottom line" answer is that no jeans at all are permitted after 6:00 on Regent, though occasionally that rule is flouted.)

We've loved Regent and hope you will too.

I want to second poss' post. We know that Crystal allows "dress jeans" but Regent does not. Some passengers try to get away with black jeans and it could work. On the other hand, it could be embarrassing to be asked to go back to your suite and change. There is a reminder in Passages (Regent's daily newspaper) that stresses the fact that jeans are not appropriate after 6:00 p.m. (note: and this means in all public areas as well as dining venues). On the other hand, slacks and a collared shirt is fine for men.

It should also be noted that, while not required, passengers tend to dress up a bit more when dining in a specialty restaurant and on the nights of the Captain's Reception and Captain's Farewell.

I was typing up a reply earlier but realized it sounded somewhat snarky so I deleted it. You're right that people try to dance around the 'no jeans' policy, and I don't understand that. Can 'dress jeans' look nice? Absolutely. But how do you draw the line? Cost? Thread count? Sharpness of the crease? There's no real way to determine which jeans pass and which don't, so it's just easier to say 'no jeans'.

I often wear slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt. I've read posts where people stated that although that particular combination met the letter of the law, it looked sloppy. Guilty. But - it met the letter of the law, and damn, I was comfortable! :cool: And if Regent ever changed their policy to say 'No Tommy Bahama shirts', well, I wouldn't wear Tommy Bahama shirts. Pretty simple concept.

I guess the bottom line is that although the dress code is widely publicized and pretty simple to follow, there are always those who want to push the boundaries. I, for one, would welcome a bit of push from Regent in enforcing the code. But that's just me, I guess.

I was typing up a reply earlier but realized it sounded somewhat snarky so I deleted it. You're right that people try to dance around the 'no jeans' policy, and I don't understand that. Can 'dress jeans' look nice? Absolutely. But how do you draw the line? Cost? Thread count? Sharpness of the crease? There's no real way to determine which jeans pass and which don't, so it's just easier to say 'no jeans'.

I often wear slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt. I've read posts where people stated that although that particular combination met the letter of the law, it looked sloppy. Guilty. But - it met the letter of the law, and damn, I was comfortable! :cool: And if Regent ever changed their policy to say 'No Tommy Bahama shirts', well, I wouldn't wear Tommy Bahama shirts. Pretty simple concept.

I guess the bottom line is that although the dress code is widely publicized and pretty simple to follow, there are always those who want to push the boundaries. I, for one, would welcome a bit of push from Regent in enforcing the code. But that's just me, I guess.

I'm not one of the fashion police, but on our cruise Feb 4th

Every night one passenger wore "jeans". Yes they were not blue jeans but, white, orange:eek:,black, and yellow. Not one word was mentioned. Oh well.

I have an adopted daughter in college as well as a daughter in law in her 20s. Both love to dress very stylishly, and neither owns a pair of capris as far as I know. They do have lots of cute short dresses which would be perfectly appropriate for evenings on regent.

I think capris are mostly worn by older women, myself included, but I would never wear them to dinner on the ship.

The dress code on many luxury ships for after 6.00pm don't mention "no jeans". They mention collared shirts for men and no shorts. In my opinion it should be absolutely permissible to wear jeans in the evening unless they are of the ripped variety. Does any seriously think that jeans (with no rips) and a collared shirt can look any worse than a pair of chinos and. a collared shirt? This is 2017 not 1917 and this is from someone by the way who dresses up more than most people on board Crystal. My husband on Crystal Casual nights (i.e every night other than Black Tie Optional) always work dark jeans, collared shirt and sports jacket and was just about the best dressed person in the room. If Regent find that unacceptable then I'm afraid that Regent might not be for us.

The dress code on many luxury ships for after 6.00pm don't mention "no jeans". They mention collared shirts for men and no shorts. In my opinion it should be absolutely permissible to wear jeans in the evening unless they are of the ripped variety. Does any seriously think that jeans (with no rips) and a collared shirt can look any worse than a pair of chinos and. a collared shirt? This is 2017 not 1917 and this is from someone by the way who dresses up more than most people on board Crystal. My husband on Crystal Casual nights (i.e every night other than Black Tie Optional) always work dark jeans, collared shirt and sports jacket and was just about the best dressed person in the room. If Regent find that unacceptable then I'm afraid that Regent might not be for us.

This is a major bone of contention on the Regent board. Many pages of arguments have resulted in people's opinion's regarding jeans. Rather than start another "dress code" arguments, let's just say that Regent states (every day) that jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p.m. That should be the end of the discussion.

(Note: not trying to be disrespectful - we all have opinions of the dress code and, in my case, I'm happy that Regent doesn't have Silversea's dress code which is quite formal). I'm sure you're DH will enjoy Regent just as much wearing slacks:)

It's OK if people decide that a particular cruise line isn't for them. As has been said any number of times in the past, it's wonderful that there are choices. Neither dress code or anything else of the sort should be matters of contention. I know that I'm not saying anything that all of us don't know: It's just that I wish there weren't the bitterness/defensivness that sometimes creeps in; the need somehow to prove something. People have different needs, different tastes, different desires. If the shoe fits, slip into it and enjoy.

jwlindakay: Hats (with or without brim) are fine on Regent-- just not at dinner. (Come to think of it, probably not in any dining venue at any time of the day? Except for the pool deck of course.)

Edited by poss

This is a major bone of contention on the Regent board. Many pages of arguments have resulted in people's opinion's regarding jeans. Rather than start another "dress code" arguments, let's just say that Regent states (every day) that jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p.m. That should be the end of the discussion.

I agree. If jeans are important to you in the evening, then don't choose Regent.

I grew up always wearing Levi jeans and still wear Levi's or similar jeans nearly every day. I understand that there are high fashion variations of jeans and all the arguments as to how those are just as fashionable or more so than some kinds of trousers or pants that are acceptable under Regent's dress code.

Regent's policy is certainly open to challenge on the basis of fashion or logic. And it may change at some time. But for the moment it is what it is.

Interesting, I suspect more than a few times people get back to the ship later than 6pm especially if it will be there until later in the evening? Not a big deal - just go to the cabin and change. Bill, I agree - the TB looks decent enough. People need to remember men have a lot less options on clothing - especially if they don't want to broil to death in a warmer climate!

~Jar

Interesting, I suspect more than a few times people get back to the ship later than 6pm especially if it will be there until later in the evening? Not a big deal - just go to the cabin and change. Bill, I agree - the TB looks decent enough. People need to remember men have a lot less options on clothing - especially if they don't want to broil to death in a warmer climate!

~Jar

When excursions return late (after dinner begins), Regent can make exceptions. That being said, the ship typically departs before dinner begins. On nights when they are in port late, many people dine ashore and can wear whatever they want (unless they want to hang out in a lounge or go to the show when they return)..

I don't think that men have less options than women. Slacks (cool cotton ones like Docker's are fine) and a short sleeved shirt or collared polo shirt work well in warm weather. If you think about it, denim is one of the warmest fabrics and is also heavy to pack. Also, the temperature on the ship is quite cool for some people so matter how hot it is outside, the temperature remains the same inside.

This is really an easy dress code to adhere to. Cruise Critic members were amongst the people that were polled before going from their previous dress code (Formal, Informal and Country Club Casual) to "Elegant Casual" Many people (men in particular) still like to wear sports jackets, suits, etc. when dining in specialty restaurants or "special" nights. That is their choice.

The easiest thing is to just leave your jeans at home -- wear shorts and t-shirts during the day and do the slacks thing at night! Women pretty much do the same thing.

I'm booked on QM2 for June and Cunard immediately emailed their dress code. :eek: If you don't have whatever formalwear they dictate, you can barely leave your room. You can go into the buffet and ONE lounge. Otherwise they don't want to see you.

If my husband, an authentic Oklahoma cowboy, can deal with no jeans in the evening, I am pretty sure anyone can.

Very funny, RachelG. My husband went to college in Oklahoma. and met many authentic cowboys. We never travel with jeans because they are just plain inconvenient. I leave my jean jackets at home, too, for the same reason.

Mary

Perhaps the itinerary has something to do with it.

On the Alaska cruises there are plenty of 'dress jeans' !

That is unfortunate as that should not be the case. The dress code exists on all ships in all areas of the world! This is yet another area where enforcement needs to be looked at!

When excursions return late (after dinner begins), Regent can make exceptions.

There is the problem. Have a rule and enforce it or drop it. Maybe it should be that the late returning passengers make an exception to their plans and go quickly change or realize that the way to go is to eat in the cabin....which is actually quite nice. This makes the other people who have bothered to adhere to the guidelines, whether they like them or not, to not feel disrespected. I agree that the Regent expectations are quite clear.