Recent AZ reviews - what's going on??

cruzers j&n

Hello! I am considering an upcoming AZ cruise to celebrate our 20th this July, however, the recent reviews have me wondering whether this would be a good decision. I understand that there would be issues coming out of dry dock but the concerns expressed (anything from food quality downgrade to service issues to a clingy shower curtain - yes, a pet peeve of mine too!) seem like matters that should have improved after a dry dock, not worsen! Are these reviews over the top or should we look elsewhere to spend our hard earned money? We have cruised with Celebrity, Oceania and Regent (and happy with each one) so were thinking of trying out AZ. We are fairly independent travelers in our 40's/50's with love of different cultures and good food. We have 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner but love specialty coffees. For this trip, we are looking for something relaxing rather than our usual go-go-go style. Thanks in advance for any insights.

p.s. We sail first for itinerary, then for the ship. The itinerary we are considering covers Venice, Hvar, Split, Dubrovnik, and Tirana. Hvar, Split and Tirana would be new for us so I hope these are worthwhile.

Food was fine on Journey in February. Daily wines were also fine. Journey's drydock issues have been resolved, although we haven't heard whether the self-serve laundry is now working.

Some reacted badly to the initial drydock issues, others took them in stride. When someone is upset over something there can be a tendency to react negatively to everything else. We have over 100 days booked on Azamara over the next 18 months and are looking forward to every one.

I would say you need to be on a smaller ship for both these ports.

We did a land stay in Hvar in 1987 and loved the area.

We flew to Split and were transferred by hydrofoil, so saw very little of Split, so when the opportunity came to cruise there we jumped at it. However, we were on Eclipse which was too large to dock, so we tendered, which was a nightmare, as ships tours were taken ashore first. We waited 3 hrs to be transferred, but benefitted eventually, as we watched a promotional advert being filmed within the old buildings. Apparently, the 'Town' let the ship down by not providing a tender.

As you would be on a smaller ship, 650 passengers as opposed to 3000, this shouldn't pose a problem.

Very little has emerged so far regarding the post dry dock cruise, but I have read that the laundry is up and running on Quest. They obviously learned from the mistakes of the Journey dry dock.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2344954

Edited by upwarduk

Food was fine on Journey in February. Daily wines were also fine. Journey's drydock issues have been resolved, although we haven't heard whether the self-serve laundry is now working.

Some reacted badly to the initial drydock issues, others took them in stride. When someone is upset over something there can be a tendency to react negatively to everything else. We have over 100 days booked on Azamara over the next 18 months and are looking forward to every one.

I was on the JR since drydock. .not one problem the whole cruise.. people just look for them.

I was on the JR since drydock. .not one problem the whole cruise.. people just look for them.

There were problems on the first two cruises after drydock. You came aboard more than a month after drydock, when nearly everything had been addressed (not the laundry, for example).

Some felt these were major issues and reflected that in their reviews. Others shrugged them off as something to be expected after a complete overhaul and had a great time.

There were problems on the first two cruises after drydock. You came aboard more than a month after drydock, when nearly everything had been addressed (not the laundry, for example).

Some felt these were major issues and reflected that in their reviews. Others shrugged them off as something to be expected after a complete overhaul and had a great time.

I came on the 29th of feb -when was drydock finish as i was still traveling down under. i never use the laundry. the one thing i was not thrilled with was the new Patio-fish was boring or overcooked. but nothing i needed to ta;lk about beyond that on CC

I came on the 29th of feb -when was drydock finish as i was still traveling down under. i never use the laundry. the one thing i was not thrilled with was the new Patio-fish was boring or overcooked. but nothing i needed to ta;lk about beyond that on CC

As I wrote above, Journey left drydock near the end of January. You boarded a month after that, when nearly all post-drydock issues had been addressed.

So the laundry is not fixed. We did look in the room and there are 5 stackable washer/dryer units. I did not see how these machines would be connected to water lines, water draines etc. They also need electrical outlets.

They did paint the floor but took out the iron and ironing board.

So-for those who like this service not sure when it will return.

Other than that, we had no issues related to the re-imagination of Journey. It is a beautiful ship and we loved our sailing.

Like Phil and a few others, we are just off the Journey. A letter from management promised that the laundry would be completed by the end of April, but I am a bit skeptical. Other than that, there were no other unresolved dry dock issues around the ship. The Living Room is the area most transformed and it is truly lovely and functions very well as a multi-use room. Otherwise one notices lots of new carpeting and furnishings, but not much else is changed. All the re-wiring did not seem to improve internet speed, sadly. I would not worry about dry dock issues on any future Journey voyages, and hopefully the Quest's experience will be less problematic.

I am just off Journey. I will do a fuller review once I get home but what a (positive) difference from our experience on Quest in December/ January. Great food, lovely new wines, much better (ok not perfect) internet connectivity, two fabulous new venues (Living Room and Patio) and a really positive, engaged crew.

My only criticism- I can't get my jeans on to fly home tonight .....:rolleyes::eek:

We're currently on Quest, and are having a splendid time. Great to hear that many of the lessons learned from the Journey dry-dock and have been taken into account...any snags have been minor. Off for my daily walk before it gets too warm!

Thank you all for your feedback, I've contacted my TA and hopefully soon a booking will be finalized. Looking very forward to trying AZ and meeting all the friendly cruisers onboard.

uktog - I have your same problem! Now I only pack s-t-r-e-c-h pants and sundresses! :)