Completed an Azamara Cruise and have some observations

Antonintassie

Hi All

It has taken a couple of months of reflection to sit down in front of the keyboard and make some observations on our Dec 2016 HK to SNG cruise.

We are not experienced cruises but are regular travellers who enjoy high end travel product ,we had a club world owners suite on the Journey.

The cruise overall was a great experience ,with fantastic ports (Bangkok was perhaps 1/2 a day to long in port and Koh Samui 1/2 day to short.

Our embarkation experience was rather patchy and as a suite passenger I would have to say the Celebrity Eclipse and its suite programme was much better. The food was fantastic and the Captains dinner was an outstanding event and all those involved did a superb job.

If I could make one observation there is an assumption by many of the crew that you are a regular cruiser or repeat customer with Azamara which at times meant information about the product was missing detail.

The entertainment crew did a great job and we enjoyed the entertainment in the small cosy show room.

Will travel with Azamara again ? maybe but we would also look at other cruise and land options

That's an interesting point about crew assuming passengers are frequent Azamara cruisers and familiar with the product. I suppose it's because so many of us are.

Glad you had a good time on your first Azamara cruise. Maybe you will become a repeat passenger too. :)

If I could make one observation there is an assumption by many of the crew that you are a regular cruiser or repeat customer with Azamara which at times meant information about the product was missing detail.

Some specifics would make this generalization helpful.

We will be taking our first Azamara cruise next year on Journey and staying in the owners suite. Like you not real experience cruisers but have traveled a bit utilizing luxury hotels/resorts/river cruises.

If you have the time I would love to here more specifics regarding your suite experiences as it relates to the owners suite. Hopefully I can benefit from your experience as a new cruiser to set proper expectations and to know what I should ask for if they do assume we have sailed before with Azamara.

Thanks for your feedback

Some specifics would make this generalization helpful.

Perhaps my expectations were to high but if I check into a hotel suite on land ( Langham HK was our accommodation prior to the cruise for example) it would be helpful if someone could point me in the direction of my bed :)

The only cruise experience comparison I can draw on is travelling as a suite passenger on the Celebrity Eclipse .In that case our butler found us ,directed us and gave us a quick rundown on dining options ,benefits and features of the suite etc. The dining booking arrangements on Azamara are somewhat challenging for a new person but after some searching the appropriate desk was located.

We had a great holiday and cruise with Azamara and the friendly casual nature of the crew ,ship and fellow passengers .

We will be taking our first Azamara cruise next year on Journey and staying in the owners suite. Like you not real experience cruisers but have traveled a bit utilizing luxury hotels/resorts/river cruises.

If you have the time I would love to here more specifics regarding your suite experiences as it relates to the owners suite. Hopefully I can benefit from your experience as a new cruiser to set proper expectations and to know what I should ask for if they do assume we have sailed before with Azamara.

We had 6091 and it was fantastic ,huge balcony which we used a lot ,the complimentary bar setup is good ,we asked to swap to swap the rum and scotch for gin and our choice of mixers. We had prepared a list of preferred nights and venues for our complimentary specialty dining and once we found the appropriate person we submitted it and got the time we requested ( we are late diners so I am not sure how it would work with earlier slots) .Our butler was helpful and would address any issues quickly and efficiently .The balcony can have some soot on it from time to time so if you use it prior to housekeeping arriving keep a towel handy.

The room service breakfast is good and if you have a nice day the balcony is a great place to watch the world pass by ,overall it was a solid experience and if the right cruise and destination came up we would consider Azamara again .It is however a very competitive market and whilst it was enjoyable we would rule out other travel options .

We were also first time Azamara cruisers in the Owners Suite. Our butler was there shortly after we arrived. He kept us fully informed about everything. Dinners, shore excursions and little extras. We celebrated my husbands birthday and our anniversary and renewed our vows which was great. The best of the best dinner is fabulous. We are so spoiled now and have booked again for New Zealand in February 2018. Alas only in a Club Continent Suite.

Thanks for your feedback

When you get to your suite be sure to ask your butler all the "stupid" questions and also make it clear that you are new to the ship and that all information is apreciated. Two minutes, but well Worth it. :-)

That's an interesting point about crew assuming passengers are frequent Azamara cruisers and familiar with the product. I suppose it's because so many of us are.

Glad you had a good time on your first Azamara cruise. Maybe you will become a repeat passenger too. :)

I heard this from a first time Azamara guest also, on the cruise we just returned from.

I heard this from a first time Azamara guest also, on the cruise we just returned from.

That wasn't our experience, but possibly because I had done so much research on Cruise Critic before the cruise!

I recently was on Regent's Mariner, and saw some of the same assumptions by a small number of the staff. And probably for the same reason: many of the passengers were repeats. I suppose it is inevitable, but a good manager would take steps to avoid this by his/her staff.