Caribbean Princess-11/13/16-11/19-16: "Full Moon, Sunsets, Fine Wine and Relaxation!"

JimmyVWine

Wow.. loving this review and thinking it is time for another western Caribbean cruise. I LOVED Belize. Was impressed when a conversation with a local learned they rejected a proposal from Carnival to build a cruise port. They choose to protect their ecological resources. That was years ago just after Mahogany Bay opened.

Jimmy , old chap-permission to come aboard?

I'm happy to see you back on the waves. Last time was the Sapphire to Alaska I think?

You know that the MDR has Riedel glasses. I understand your need for good glasses in your cabin but there's no need to carry them around the ship. You just have to ask. The Princess Bormioli glasses are sad indeed.

Norris

Hi Norris

I am wondering if the MDR on all Princess ships have Riedels? We will be on the Island through the Panama Canal Jan 4th and at the top of my packing list is Riedels.

On my first cruise last December on the Grand I was so happy when Arnie at Vines served me my first glass of wine in a "good" glass! I innocently started walking back to my cabin to enjoy it on the balcony. I got as far as the art gallery when here comes Arnie running up with a "to go" wine glass and politely asking if he might pour my wine into it.

So if I ask my waiter at the MDR I can get a Riedel and take it back to my room?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

I know about the Riedels but they are really Sauvignon Blanc glasses. To small for my rigorous swirling.

Okay now I am getting really happy. Sauvignon Blanc Riddles are exactly what I need. Please let me know....is it all Princess ships? (in particular Island) or just the Caribbean?

Thank you for this post I am really enjoying it. I hope we are on the same cruise at some point. You seem like a fungi (lol).

Hi Norris

I am wondering if the MDR on all Princess ships have Riedels? We will be on the Island through the Panama Canal Jan 4th and at the top of my packing list is Riedels.

On my first cruise last December on the Grand I was so happy when Arnie at Vines served me my first glass of wine in a "good" glass! I innocently started walking back to my cabin to enjoy it on the balcony. I got as far as the art gallery when here comes Arnie running up with a "to go" wine glass and politely asking if he might pour my wine into it.

So if I ask my waiter at the MDR I can get a Riedel and take it back to my room?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Hi, I'm popping in to half-answer this while Jimmy is asleep.

I can't say for sure but don't see a reason why some ships would have Riedels and others not. I only started asking for them three ships ago and they all had them at a waiter station on the floor of the MDR. I imagine they want to keep them there and wouldn't want them taken back to the cabin, as evidenced in the Vines model. You can always do a Jimmy and take your own glasses on board. The Princess regular wine glass offerings are ....crap? Is that a word?

Cheers and bottoms up!

Jimmy carry on with the stellar review!

Norris

Wow.. loving this review and thinking it is time for another western Caribbean cruise. I LOVED Belize. Was impressed when a conversation with a local learned they rejected a proposal from Carnival to build a cruise port. They choose to protect their ecological resources. That was years ago just after Mahogany Bay opened.

Interesting to hear about the refusal to built a cruise port. I assumed that it had to do with the extensive reef system around Belize. Perhaps that is part and parcel of the attempt at "ecological resources" preservation.

Okay now I am getting really happy. Sauvignon Blanc Riddles are exactly what I need. Please let me know....is it all Princess ships? (in particular Island) or just the Caribbean?

Thank you for this post I am really enjoying it. I hope we are on the same cruise at some point. You seem like a fungi (lol).

I have seen the Riedel SB glasses on every ship that I have been on, but "4" may not be a statistically significant sample. For others who are wondering, here is what the glasses look like. The SB glass that Princess uses is on the far left and a Bordeaux glass is next to it for comparison purposes.

01-group-wine-glasses-630.jpg

Perhaps we will cruise together at some point and the fun will mushroom.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Jimmy....really enjoying your review, especially since we are doing this exact itinerary in April on the Crown Princess. More so, I am really curious about all your wines.

I am not overly fond of Pinot Noir's (although I do have a few bottles of Flowers in my cellar), but am interested in all the other boutique wines you brought. Curious as to how you discovered them. Each time I go to Napa, I always try to visit a small producer that someone recommended, but sometimes you just run out of "daylight" out there. Last time we were out there, we thought we would have a short visit to Frank Family and ended up in Dennis' office with a full blown all-afternoon affair, including bubbles!

I subscribe to a few websites and have discovered some gems as well as excess production from big producers, so would love to hear how you make your finds.

Thanks. I will try to address this, but at the end of the journal so as not to take this too far off track until then.

Thank you for a great review! I was on the same cruise as you, and the one after. That rain in Roatan really was something wasn't it.

I would like to give a big shout out to the Cruise Director, Micca, who really went out of his way to provide enjoyable entertainment for everyone.

Beautiful Sunset photos...especially #2, 5, & 6. In post #123

Then I particularly liked #2 & 5 in post #124.

I certainly don't pretend to know a lot about wines but, some friends brought us a bottle from Napa Valley that had a sheriff badge on the bottle. For the first time I understood "full body" and "smooth" in a wine.

We still enjoy the local wines but, I am always comparing them to that California wine.

I am so glad to see you had lobster tails and prawns. This was a concern for me since we will be on this short cruise next week.

Really enjoying your review.

Margie

I would like to give a big shout out to the Cruise Director, Micca, who really went out of his way to provide enjoyable entertainment for everyone.

More on his role as CD in my next post. Hopefully soon.

Beautiful Sunset photos...especially #2, 5, & 6. In post #123

Then I particularly liked #2 & 5 in post #124.

Thanks.

I certainly don't pretend to know a lot about wines but, some friends brought us a bottle from Napa Valley that had a sheriff badge on the bottle. For the first time I understood "full body" and "smooth" in a wine.

We still enjoy the local wines but, I am always comparing them to that California wine.

Maybe this?

Buena_Vista_SheriffofBVMetal-COMP-flat1.png

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the NYE's edition of this cruise on the CB. We'd love to hear your concluding thoughts on the cruise as well as how you discovered the wines.

The review is packed full of great information, lovely photos, and fantastic humor and insight. Yes, we will never look at Princess signage in the same way...

Take care,