Iceland Tour Companies

We will be arriving in Reykjavik on 24 June on board Azura for a two night stay and looking to book the Golden Circle Tour. Would also like to book Jewels of the North in Akureyri on 27 June.

However whilst searching for tour companies I came across one called ShorexIceland Tours. They cater for Cruiseships and guarantee to get back to the ship before departure. Not a problem in Reykjavik.

Prices are similar to other companies and tours are in a minibus and they also offer a 7% discount if booking in two different ports.

My question - has anyone used this company before or heard of it.

Many thanks

I've been to Iceland 3 times so far (4th trip coming up!) and I hang on the TripAdvisor Iceland board and I've never heard of them. There are dozens of highly recommended companies in Reykjavik, and many more in Akureyri. Check out the Things To Do menu option on the Iceland board over there for lots of advice.

I've been there twice-last time for over a month. We used Sterna for two tours and enjoyed both very much. I'm not sure about cruise pick-up, but they did hotel pick-up, so maybe. Don't recall the one you mention.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to use their online email service but as yet have received no reply which doesn't bode well. They also have a facebook page and the only comment I could find (Sept 2015) was from a previous customer who had been on the Golden Circle tour and was enquiring about a receipt from the tour they had been on. The tour was excellent value but no reply was forthcoming, so I guess their customer service isn't what you would expect.

Where may I find the Iceland board on CC.

Holland America's Voyage of the Vikings is going to Iceland. There is mention of Tours on that board. Other cruise lines stop there also, so look on those boards.

We are using igtours in R and taxino17 in A. Can't spell those names!!!

We are using Grayline tours for our three day stopover in Iceland. We are doing their Glacier Lagoon all day tour and also their Blue Lagoon and airport transfer. They have been prompt in getting back to us with answers and reviews are good also. Find them at Grayline Iceland and choose all tours to see what is available. Have a great time, we are looking forward to our adventure in Iceland.

I always recommend minibus tours over maxibus tours. You're waiting for fewer people at each stop to get back from the bathroom/giftshop/one last picture issues, and you get more one on one time with the guide for questions. You're also much more nimble and able to get to places in between crowds, with a good tour company. With a big bus, you're always in a crowd. Your own.

And of the tours I've priced in Iceland, minibus type tours rarely cost more than 10-20% more than big bus tours.

While we had spent a week in Iceland in 2014 we were also just on a series of cruises which included an Iceland/Ireland itinerary. Following the B2B2B cruises we flew back to Iceland. Such a fascinating country.

The recommendation to check prior Cruise Critic roll calls is excellent. We were on the Celebrity Eclipse May 10, 2016, and the roll call for that cruise includes quite a bit of discussion regarding tour companies.

We have rented cars in Iceland and have found it to be an easy place to navigate. The May 10th cruise included an overnight call in Reykjavik where we rented a car from Eurocar. They have a location at the cruise terminal, and overnight parking was also available at the terminal.

We will be arriving in Reykjavik on 24 June on board Azura for a two night stay and looking to book the Golden Circle Tour. Would also like to book Jewels of the North in Akureyri on 27 June.

However whilst searching for tour companies I came across one called ShorexIceland Tours. They cater for Cruiseships and guarantee to get back to the ship before departure. Not a problem in Reykjavik.

Prices are similar to other companies and tours are in a minibus and they also offer a 7% discount if booking in two different ports.

My question - has anyone used this company before or heard of it.

Many thanks

We are leaving shortly for Iceland, so I have had contact with quite a few companies. Everyone has gotten back to me very quickly (<24 hrs, but usually <6 hrs), so that is not a good sign. I can't speak for port tours, but i have used Guide to Iceland. They have a great website, easy booking, no cancellation fees, and post really good articles about Iceland in general. So far my experience with them has been excellent. I have peppered them with questions and they have answered everything, and suggested tours that I would have not found without their guidance.

Wishing you well, and a great trip!

X

• 1 month later...
We're using GeoIceland Day Tours in August. Communication with them thus far has been good. No advance payment, no cancellation fee. Looking forward to our first Golden Circle tour.

We toured with GeoIceland Day Tours a couple of years ago and it was a fantastic tour. Our guide (and driver) was a geologist originally from Spain. He spoke English, Spanish and Icelandic, as well as being able to explain Iceland's unique and fascinating geology.

Our cruise next August for 2017, a lady on our Roll Call set up our South Shore tour with Islandic Tour Company and I have since assumed the reins since the other couple switched cruises. I have been in communication with them and they have responded quickly to all my emails. they use a Mini Van maximum capacity of #16.

We just returned from Iceland and did a private 4x4 tour with Discover Iceland to the South Coast. Best decision we made on our trip, truly outstanding!

Some photos764f522e017d6d29ecb633e8a95c11a1.jpg

Seljalandsfoss Waterfall

b6166b1a5c20bf1b5c6cb38f7d7ea334.jpg

Skogafoss Waterfall

03003145c6051a110b372c384220beb2.jpg

Reynisdranger Rock Pillars

bbef094bbc0a2a162b8d906fc9a1cb5c.jpg

Black Beach

2d699dce9320a84b50c3d3f6ada8df6a.jpg

Gljúfrabúi Waterfall

We had a phenomenal private guide named Gummi, just wonderful. One of our best days ever.

On our second day we took a Grayline bus to the Blue Lagoon. Very well and easy and then explored Reyjkavik on our own

• 3 months later...

Was your Blue Lagoon entrance ticket reserved in advance or were you able to buy it same day? We are thinking of going to Blue Lagoon onthe way from the airport but our arrival time could vary and I don't know how long immigration and customs will take and the drive fron the airport. It seems difficult to specify a bery precise time when purchasing a ticket in advance.

If you are going in summer, I would recommend you get your BL tickets ahead of time. The entrance time is actually for an hour window. It will take about 60-90 minutes to get from your gate to the BL. It's a short drive and the airport is pretty streamlined.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Iceland portion of my cruise review detailing our Golden Circle Tour

THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

With Iceland Horizon

A tour of around 8 hours.

During the day we visit three main sights. The spectacular Gullfoss Waterfall on the mighty glacial river Hvita, The boiling springs and blowing water spouts of Strokkur and Geysir and Thingvellir National Park, where we see the divide between the Eurasian and American continental plates and also home to the ancient Viking parliaments. Each of these stops is around 1 hour in duration.

We also make other short stops; Faxafos waterfall and possible other short photo stops, depending on weather and conditions. The actual driving distance of the day is around 270 kilometers and total driving time is around 3 hours 30 minutes, but this is divided into shorter journeys between the stops.

Lunch is not included but you will be able to buy something to eat at the cafe/restaurant at Gullfoss.

The total tour cost 140,000 Icelandic krona. The price was about $85 per person.

The Golden Circle tour is very popular for visitors to Iceland. NCL had many tour buses filled for excursions along the same route as ours. We were able to depart before the buses and largely avoid the crowded venues along the tour route.

We visited a crater that charged three dollars to see. Some declined, but I made a short stop to take photos. We visited two waterfalls and had lunch near the large majestic Gullfoss Waterfall. We went to the boiling springs and saw geysers. All through the drive, we were entranced by the majestic scenery of the island. The last stop, the Thingvellir National Park was the best. This is where the continental plates meet between North America and Europe. The rock formations and natural foliage were awesome. The park has preserved the original natural foliage of the island.

If you visit Iceland, don’t miss The Golden Circle.