Wifi calling app?

rkkunk

Thanks to all of you.

We just spent 2 weeks on the Adventure using Verizon Travel Pass, simply what a pain in the ###.

Now I have to convince my DW to upgrade her analog flip phone :D. I will steer her towards the new IPhone, since all her computers are Apple.

She has never liked the smart phones:confused:

I think the WiFi calling ability makes a new phone a worthwhile investment.

If you are getting the the 6s or 6splus, you should be OK with WiFi calling. However, if you are thinking of getting an older model, I would check with your carrier to ensure you are getting a model they support for WiFi calling.

Edited by clarea

It worked great on our cruise. We were at sea and I was connected to the ships wifi and I was receiving calls. I actually didn't want them but it worked. And I wasn't connected to cellular at sea, my phone was in airplane mode

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It worked great on our cruise. We were at sea and I was connected to the ships wifi and I was receiving calls. I actually didn't want them but it worked. And I wasn't connected to cellular at sea, my phone was in airplane mode

What ship?

Does iPhone 6 do wifi calls if carrier is AT&T? I found something on Apple site that referenced "if carrier supports it" which is a little confusing to me bc figure going thru wifi carrier isn't involved.

Does iPhone 6 do wifi calls if carrier is AT&T? I found something on Apple site that referenced "if carrier supports it" which is a little confusing to me bc figure going thru wifi carrier isn't involved.

Check with AT&T, I forgot if they require the 6s, or if the 6 will work.

If you click on the "on a supported carrier" link, it will show that AT&T does allow it (as do all of the "big 4" US carriers.

The easiest thing to do is check the menu on your phone; if it's there and you can enable it, it works.

Before my Caribbean cruise several weeks ago, I had to call Verizon to have my iPhone 6 Wi-Fi enabled and it worked great. For the past several years, I have used the Vonage app while cruising in Europe and it worked well with a Wi-Fi connection and no charges.

Yes. AT&T does. Enable it on your phone in Settings > Phone> WiFi calling

Edited by Charles4515

Fortuitous that I had already followed this thread. I am wondering if wifi calling will work on both tiers of voom internet? I have no idea how much bandwidth is required for voice over Internet. Would we need voom surf and stream? Or just the surf package?

Fortuitous that I had already followed this thread. I am wondering if wifi calling will work on both tiers of voom internet? I have no idea how much bandwidth is required for voice over Internet. Would we need voom surf and stream? Or just the surf package?

Don't know for sure until we get some feedback, but I would guess that the surf package has enough bandwidth for voice.

Edited by clarea

I still have an iphone 5S and have used both Facetime Video or Audio to make calls home with Vroom while on the Anthem and Quantum...worked like a charm. Can also use Facebook Messenger in either the call or video mode. To add one more app that I've used is Whatsapp...I had a problem with its video but the audio worked like a charm.

Have used Skype on old system just fine.

did a tiny bit of research and it appears 1mbps I'd optimal but functional at 80kbpd. Hence the surf package should do fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This was a great thread! We will have Voom for the first time on our cruise this month and won't have to 'unlock' our phones for international use.

Tried it on my iphone at home at it works great. (Verizon)

Thanks CC!!

MTG

So you don't put your phone on airplane mode just turn off cellular? I have a 6s so I want to figure this out!!

That's what we do, turn on Airplane Mode and then turn back on WiFi.

So you don't put your phone on airplane mode just turn off cellular? I have a 6s so I want to figure this out!!

You can do either. If you turn off cellular roaming and turn on wifi, you'll be fine. Or, you can activate airplane mode then turn on wifi. The primary difference is that in airplane mode, you don't have bluetooth, if you use that.

You can do either. If you turn off cellular roaming and turn on wifi, you'll be fine. Or, you can activate airplane mode then turn on wifi. The primary difference is that in airplane mode, you don't have bluetooth, if you use that.

On an iPhone you can turn Bluetooth back on in airplane mode.

did a tiny bit of research and it appears 1mbps I'd optimal but functional at 80kbpd. Hence the surf package should do fine.

The 80 Kbs might enough for an iffy voice call, but doubt it would work for a usable video connection. Until we get more reporting we don't know the limitations on SURF - it might not be bandwidth but only specific video (and BW) intensive sites/apps.

The new iPhone 5SE should work too. Pretty much the same set up as the 6's.

This probably depends on the carrier. I believe that AT&T requires a 6 for WiFi calling.

Edited by clarea