Wifi calling app?

rkkunk

On my iPhone, it I simply put it on airplane mode with wifi on and wifi calling enabled, will I be able to make and take calls??? What about Facebook Messenger calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Adding my question to yours. And in airplane mode but wifi enabled, we're certain we won't accrue roaming fees or data charges or anything like that out of the country? I presume, yes, airplane mode means that NO Verizon connection whatsoever, but I don't want to make a costly mistake. I'll be traveling the Mediterranean (from the U.S.), so I think they have a different cell service anyway that wouldn't work unless I add international calling.

Adding my question to yours. And in airplane mode but wifi enabled, we're certain we won't accrue roaming fees or data charges or anything like that out of the country? I presume, yes, airplane mode means that NO Verizon connection whatsoever, but I don't want to make a costly mistake. I'll be traveling the Mediterranean (from the U.S.), so I think they have a different cell service anyway that wouldn't work unless I add international calling.

I used VZW Wi-Fi Calling in Cozumel last week and encountered no fees whatsoever. Even if you were using Wi-Fi calling in your home, it doesn't use your minutes in anyway and simply works off the Wi-Fi, so honestly I don't think it matters where the router is as long as it can connect to the service.

I just played around with it some more and got it figured out. Looked at the Terms and Conditions from Verizon and it says "Any wifi call made to a US number will be treated as a domestic call, no matter where the call originates, and will not count against your calling plan..."

I just tried it on my home router and my phone says "to allow wifi calling on this account, contact Verizon"

You may have to contact Verizon to have your account enabled for WiFi calling.

I got it to work, Bob, on my 6s but it is not an option on my wife's 5s.

Makes sense. I'm only familiar with AT&T's WiFi option, but it requires a 6s and some minimum level of IOS in order to be an option.

If you have an iPhone 5C or later with iOS 9 or later, you already have WiFi calling (if your carrier allows it). AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint have all enabled WiFi calling.

Basic information is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Turn off cellular, turn on WiFi, and enable WiFi calling. The phone will behave just as though it's on a cellular network at home.

Android may have something similar, but this was a pretty big change for iPhone.

I believe if you turn of your cellular will not be able to send and receive texts.

I believe if you turn of your cellular will not be able to send and receive texts.

If the phone and carrier have implemented WiFi calling, then it can handle texts over WiFi too, without any other apps.

Android may have something similar, but this was a pretty big change for iPhone.

Android had this long before iPhone. It was great for when I worked in Canada before TMobile included Canada in their normal plan pricing with no additional charges. I had wifi calling on my Galaxy S2.

To answer someone elses questions, as long as you have a decent wifi connection it should work. The weaker the signal though, the quality of the call will go down.

If the phone and carrier have implemented WiFi calling, then it can handle texts over WiFi too, without any other apps.

Great! I have an Iphone 6 with IOS 9.3 on AT&T. This means I won't need to get a package from them in case I need to make a call.

I will just need an internet package.

Does the devices stay online or does RC know you off when your not using WIFI?

Great! I have an Iphone 6 with IOS 9.3 on AT&T. This means I won't need to get a package from them in case I need to make a call.

I will just need an internet package.

Does the devices stay online or does RC know you off when your not using WIFI?

On Vision, there was a 2-hour timeout.

I have also seen the two hour timeout.

I just bought VOOM at the 30% off deal for two devices and I'm now comfortable with the whole wifi calling thing so I'm all set to go. It seems like a great thing to be able to call home if I need or want to at no charge. Seems almost too good to be true. Thank you to everyone who helped with the wifi calling.

I have also seen the two hour timeout.

I just bought VOOM at the 30% off deal for two devices and I'm now comfortable with the whole wifi calling thing so I'm all set to go. It seems like a great thing to be able to call home if I need or want to at no charge. Seems almost too good to be true. Thank you to everyone who helped with the wifi calling.

Yeah, it's got me considering a new iPhone.:(

If you have an iPhone 5C or later with iOS 9 or later, you already have WiFi calling (if your carrier allows it). AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint have all enabled WiFi calling.

Basic information is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Turn off cellular, turn on WiFi, and enable WiFi calling. The phone will behave just as though it's on a cellular network at home.

Samsung Galaxy s6 and s7 also have wifi calling capabilities without 3rd party apps

I used VZW Wi-Fi Calling in Cozumel last week and encountered no fees whatsoever. Even if you were using Wi-Fi calling in your home, it doesn't use your minutes in anyway and simply works off the Wi-Fi, so honestly I don't think it matters where the router is as long as it can connect to the service.

I'm so glad I read this post and I have to give you a big THANK YOU! I googled VZW wifi and I found the page on Verizon's site. I not only will use it on the ship, but more importantly, I can use it at my cabin in PA, which has a weak cell signal, Again THANKS!:)

I'm so technologically illiterate that it's scary.

Whether one uses Viber or Verizon wifi, one still has to buy the ship's Internet package? Do they only sell it by the day now? I used to be able to buy it for X number of minutes.I'm not even sure Grandeur will have Voom by June 4th

If I can figure out this Verizon wifi feature, does that mean I can phone home from the middle of the Atlantic on the ship without ANY charges??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for putting up with this challenged old brain. :o :rolleyes:

I'm so technologically illiterate that it's scary.

Whether one uses Viber or Verizon wifi, one still has to buy the ship's Internet package? Do they only sell it by the day now? I used to be able to buy it for X number of minutes.I'm not even sure Grandeur will have Voom by June 4th

If I can figure out this Verizon wifi feature, does that mean I can phone home from the middle of the Atlantic on the ship without ANY charges??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for putting up with this challenged old brain. :o :rolleyes:

Yes, you would have to purchase the ship's internet package, which is sold by the 24-hour period. Buying numbers of minutes is gone. With WiFi calling, you should be able to make calls anywhere, with no additional charges from your cell company.

I'm not even sure Grandeur will have Voom by June 4th

According to the RCI CEO every ship will have Voom tomorrow:rolleyes: - what that means in terms of speed has yet to be determined. It's very likely on the Grandeur it will be th same slow Internet currently on the ship - that may or may not be fast enough to support a usable WiFi call.

Edited by Biker19

I am a little slow with all this tech talk. I have a Verizon Turbo Maxx. I see how to activate the wifi calling,but do all the phone numbers (cellular and land line) have to be wifi calling enabled? I know land lines are different,but me home number us on a Verizon network. Thanks

I am a little slow with all this tech talk. I have a Verizon Turbo Maxx. I see how to activate the wifi calling,but do all the phone numbers (cellular and land line) have to be wifi calling enabled? I know land lines are different,but me home number us on a Verizon network. Thanks

if your phone is wifi enabled you can make and receive calls from any number on any network

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's the beauty of WiFI calling, it's all transparent. You use the same phone book as cellular calling.

Thanks to all of you.

We just spent 2 weeks on the Adventure using Verizon Travel Pass, simply what a pain in the ###.

Now I have to convince my DW to upgrade her analog flip phone :D. I will steer her towards the new IPhone, since all her computers are Apple.

She has never liked the smart phones:confused: