How do you pay customs fee?

likestorelax

Usually not worth it...

That said, from the CBP page on Customs:

How to Pay Customs Duty

If you owe Customs duty, you must pay it before the conclusion of your CBP processing. You may pay it in any of the following ways:

• U.S. currency only.
  • Personal check in the exact amount, drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. You must present identification, such as a passport or U.S. driver's license. CBP does not accept checks bearing second-party endorsement.
  • Government check, money order or traveler's check if the amount does not exceed the duty owed by more than $50.

In some locations/POEs, you may pay duty with either MasterCard or VISA credit cards.

It's actually more complicated based on country of purchase etc as to how duty is calculated so check here:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

It is actually a pain in the butt for customs to collect any duty on anything. You have to seriously exceed the allowance before they will go through the hassle.

The two of us have routinely brought back 8-10 750 ml bottles and US customs has never said anything other than to confirm it was for personal consumption vs. resale

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

What is the process for paying customs fees when you exceed the allowed limit. I was considering purchasing alcohol but did not know how complicated it was to pay the customs fee. Does it take a long time? Is it worth the duty free savings?

It would help if we knew what port and country you are speaking about. Is it a U.S. port? Also are you a U.S. resident or resident of another country?

Keep in mind that if you have to fly, you cannot carryon liquor. It must be checked and could make your suitcases too heavy or risk it disappearing if you put it through in the cardboard liquor boxes the stores provide.

If you are driving, that makes a difference.

We are always very honest when doing our US Declaration and often bring back more then our duty-free booze allotment. In every case the CBP Officer has looked at our declaration, sometimes smiles, and just told us to go! The US Duty on booze is actually quite low (no more then 10% and often less) and the CBP folks need to complete paperwork on each bottle. They have discretion to waive/ignore small overages and often do!

Han

If it was me and it was alcohol I would not go through the time to bring back anything over the limit because as has been said it can be very complicated to pay. How you do this does range by port. Some might be done on the ship, others in port and where varies.

Yes, as Hank has said sometimes they just waive you through but it depends who you have that day.

And yes, always be honest about this.

Keith

the question I have is--do you declare it to customs officials while still on board the ship--just prior to debarkation --or do you declare it when you go through customs. I thought you did it while on board and was wondering how that worked--do you wait in a long line--how much is the fee on alcohol. I am bringing it back to the US and we are not flying.

the question I have is--do you declare it to customs officials while still on board the ship--just prior to debarkation --or do you declare it when you go through customs. I thought you did it while on board and was wondering how that worked--do you wait in a long line--how much is the fee on alcohol. I am bringing it back to the US and we are not flying.

When you get off the ship after you have picked up your luggage you go though customs. You will have your filled out customs declaration (they will give you a card for your family the last night of the cruise) and then that is where the officer may ask questions such as where do you live, how long have you been out of the country and do you have anything to declare? If they don't ask you don't have to tell.

I don't know what the duty is for U.S. citizens regarding alcohol. I know entering Canada it is a per oz. tariff and it is not worth it. I imagine every country is different. You should be able to find that information online without too much of a problem.

have a great cruise

Here is my experience:

The duty on alcohol is $2.10 per liter. A customs officer said they can waive

the duty for less than $10.

I brought back 5 liters, two of which were duty free, and the duty on the other 3 would have been about $6, so they waived it.

We purchased some items that put us over the limit, and being honest, we declared the purchases. The wait to pay the duty in Ft Lauderdale was awful----over 45 minutes, and we were the only ones waiting, and 5 Customs officials were just sitting in the room. We were not happy.

Customs officials used to come on board the ship for Customs duty payments, but they stopped doing that a few years ago.

Edited by kitty9