Outerwear - Europe in November

Roz

It's true - you really don't have to buy a ton of new stuff - use what you have. What about friends or family loaning you a couple of things as needed? (making this suggestion realizing that's not going to work for everybody, but it's worked for specific things in my friends/family circle - I even sent ski clothing to a friend who lives in Dallas - she doesn't ski, needed the warm clothes, and I have plenty as I used to live in Utah....:p)

I am going to France in mid-October. My first cruise is Paris to Normandy and the second goes through Burgundy and Provence. I am taking a packable down jacket, hat and gloves for the Normandy portion. For the second portion I have a Lands End fleece jacket. I can layer under both jackets as needed. I keep my umbrella handy.

I'd love to take waterproof 'booties'. My issue is extremely narrow feet. Every pair I try on falls off my foot. Any idea where I can get 'duck' shoes narrow enough for my feet? Thanks in advance!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have a look at Munro and Aquatalia. Both brands highly regarded (and not cheap - but you can often find discounted online if interested). Much too narrow for my foot, sadly:( I also find Cole Haan and Clarks to be too narrow for me (not sure what their waterproof options are this year).

I am going to France in mid-October. My first cruise is Paris to Normandy and the second goes through Burgundy and Provence. I am taking a packable down jacket, hat and gloves for the Normandy portion. For the second portion I have a Lands End fleece jacket. I can layer under both jackets as needed. I keep my umbrella handy.

I'd love to take waterproof 'booties'. My issue is extremely narrow feet. Every pair I try on falls off my foot. Any idea where I can get 'duck' shoes narrow enough for my feet? Thanks in advance!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check QVC for Rykas and see if they still have the waterproof shooties. For mid Oct you won't need boots. Another suggestion is Uggs, they make a waterproof loafer ( or did, last year) that are great for walking as well.

Thanks. My super narrow foot loves Easy Spirit, New Balance, Clarks and Propet ....

I find this ironic, as my almost-wide feet like Propet & New Balance too:p I even have a pair of Easy Spirit (slip ons I keep in my office to use when I want to take a walk at lunch) Guess it just goes to show that you have to try every shoe on, no matter how much you might like "the brand" - they're not all the same!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Have a look at Munro and Aquatalia. Both brands highly regarded (and not cheap - but you can often find discounted online if interested). Much too narrow for my foot, sadly:( I also find Cole Haan and Clarks to be too narrow for me (not sure what their waterproof options are this year).

I love Aquatalia! Great quality, great style and yes, perfect for my narrow feet.

Cole Haan often works for me as well, at least most styles. La Canadienne is another favorite.

A couple of previous posters mentioned long underwear; I highly recommend silk. I am a former recreational cross country skiier and found it was the best. I still have my collection and only occasionally need to wear it, but am sure glad when I do. We did a 3 week road trip starting mid November from Paris through Germany, Austria, Italy and back to Paris a few years ago. We had quite a bit of rain, cold in the north, but warmer on the Mediterranean. Lightweight layers is the way to go and the new down packable jackets and vests are fabulous.

Taking my first river this coming November - Budapest to Passau on Uniworld. Roz

Thank you for starting this thread. We are going on our first river cruise this November (Basel, Switzerland to Brussels, Belgium) and this is very helpful information. I have an allergy to down but will look at the other suggestions.

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to respond!

Winter Silks has silk long underwear (tops and bottoms) in 3 different weights: light, medium, and heavy. I have both long-sleeve tops and bottoms in Heavy:

http://wintersilks.blair.com/catalog/search.jsp?count=99&i=1&intl=n&is=Y&keyword=women+long+johns&q=women+long+johns&q1=Heavy&rank=rank18&store=3&x1=warmth_factor

I also love Hot Chillys Womens Pepperskins Bottom at Sports Chalet:

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/hot+chillys+womens+pepperskins+bottom+-+black.do?green=9b1e5f800-cfe7-b3753-fe9c-c14f0ad91ca2

The best place to shop for clothes appropriate for European weather is....in Europe. It's fun, too. :)

Quite true, but unfortunately most of us don't have the time, either pre cruise or during the voyage, to shop for a travel wardrobe. Sometimes it's even hard to just pick up something important that you forgot. I prefer to go over prepared and then shop for a few luxuries to take home with me! I agree with you though, I love shopping in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that the layers under your coat will never be seen in your pictures. I always take my least favorite clothes and donate them at my last stop to those in need. That way I have more room to pack all my wonderful souvenirs that I have bought. :)

Don't forget that the layers under your coat will never be seen in your pictures. I always take my least favorite clothes and donate them at my last stop to those in need. That way I have more room to pack all my wonderful souvenirs that I have bought. :)

That's a great idea. We've done that on a few cruises and it makes packing to go home that much easier and you have extra space for purchases made on the cruise too!

IMO, sneakers or other non waterproof shoes are not a wise choice. We made the mistake of bringing non waterproof boots on our first November river cruise and ended up having to use the blow dryer to get them dry enough to wear again. That was the last time, as our feet were cold and miserable.

(I also use a waterproof silicone spray on my favorite-for-travel non-goretex leather boots)

We have used the waterproof spray on our sneakers and suede walking shoes. It has always worked for us plus it doesn't cost much and we don't need to buy new shoes or sneakers and break them in before the trip.

I have a wardrobe that supports the fact I've lived in various wet and/or cold places and I love to hike, and we love to travel to northerly cities in the fall & winter. I can much more easily outfit myself for a cold & wet trip than a trip to the beach in the summer (as I rarely want to go to the beach). So goretex is one of my favorite words - but I agree, I'm not buying an expensive pair of shoes or a coat for a single trip - I buy them because I know I'll use them repeatedly over the years. That's why - for people who might be doing a cold/wet trip only once ever - there are affordable options for outfitting oneself. Like waterproof spray for shoes or layering clothing instead of buying a heavy exterior coat that might not be used again, shopping at thrift stores or borrowing things from friends & family etc.

We have used the waterproof spray on our sneakers and suede walking shoes. It has always worked for us plus it doesn't cost much and we don't need to buy new shoes or sneakers and break them in before the trip.

Good idea. I'm going to spray my nubucks before I go to Paris next month!

Like waterproof spray for shoes or layering clothing instead of buying a heavy exterior coat that might not be used again, shopping at thrift stores or borrowing things from friends & family etc.

ebay is a fabulous resource for buying at great prices. I set a search for what I am specifically looking for and then get notification via email when an item meeting my specifications becomes available.

Waterproof spray for everything works on most fabrics whatever anyone says gortex does need reproofing my walking boots are still going strong after many years, do buy a good waterproof jacket its money well spent mine is a Berghause its brilliant the water just beads off. Mind you I have friends who wear shorts whatever the weather saying it's easier to dry skin, not my thoughts but just don't wear jeans cotton dries quicker and doesn't chaif. CA