Outerwear - Europe in November

Roz

Waterproof spray for everything works on most fabrics whatever anyone says gortex does need reproofing my walking boots are still going strong after many years, do buy a good waterproof jacket its money well spent mine is a Berghause its brilliant the water just beads off. Mind you I have friends who wear shorts whatever the weather saying it's easier to dry skin, not my thoughts but just don't wear jeans cotton dries quicker and doesn't chaif. CA

If you waterproof goretex shoes, they won't be goretex any more [i.e. they will lose the breathability that you pay the high goretex price for]

Waterproof spray for everything works on most fabrics whatever anyone says gortex does need reproofing my walking boots are still going strong after many years, do buy a good waterproof jacket its money well spent mine is a Berghause its brilliant the water just beads off. Mind you I have friends who wear shorts whatever the weather saying it's easier to dry skin, not my thoughts but just don't wear jeans cotton dries quicker and doesn't chaif. CA

Aren't jeans cotton?

Aren't jeans cotton?

Pretty much....:D

In my younger life, I worked for my brother in law selling outdoorsy stuff for surviving the weather. Used to camp the two days in the winter when the snow dropped 10 inches. Technical clothing fit for Mt Everest is really good in European cities in rain...

Just saying.:D Goretex... thermoball jackets... etc. good. wet feet and body... bad:eek:

jc

Speaking as a (retired) backpacker, when doing a river crossing, you remove you boots, Gortex or otherwise. Immersing them is not a good idea. While touring Europe, I have frequently found my feet immersed in water, Gortex or waterproof spray doesn't help much under those conditions. Just sayin'.

My boots are so old they need waterproof spray maybe I should get a new pair. Yes jeans are cotton but they do have quite thick seams so if you don't want sore legs if they get soaking wet wear water shedding fabric or thin cotton it's one of the first things I was told when I did my walking training to take youngsters up hill and down dale.

CA

Speaking as a (retired) backpacker, when doing a river crossing, you remove you boots, Gortex or otherwise. Immersing them is not a good idea. While touring Europe, I have frequently found my feet immersed in water, Gortex or waterproof spray doesn't help much under those conditions. Just sayin'.

True, just like golf shoes, the pros take them off when they venture into the water to try to hit the ball delicately perched inches from the watery grave.

Nothing helps when they go underwater, and the water goes thru over the top. Game over.

That said, Goretex beats the heck out of regular shoes in 2 inches of water.

jc

Been to Europe many times in November. Luckily never had much rain, including many days in London!

As for coats, the most useful item I have for travel is a black microfiber anorak with zip-out liner and detachable hood. With proper layering (long sleeve tee or turtleneck, button shirt, sweater, anorak with liner in, scarf, hat, gloves) I can go through winter with this, or remove liner to make it suitable for warmer days.

Nordstrom currently has Anorak with Detachable Hood on sale. Easy to find by searching (not sure posting links allowed).

I have also found an ultralight down vest to be a good new addition to my wardrobe. Ultralight down jacket could serve the purpose of a liner if you can't find a coat with zip-out lining.

Hope this info may be useful.

Sorry for double post - computer acting slower than me today.

Been to Europe many times in November. Luckily never had much rain, including many days in London!

As for coats, the most useful item I have for travel is a black microfiber anorak with zip-out liner and detachable hood. With proper layering (long sleeve tee or turtleneck, button shirt, sweater, anorak with liner in, scarf, hat, gloves) I can go through winter with this, or remove liner to make it suitable for warmer days.

Nordstrom currently has Anorak with Detachable Hood on sale. Easy to find by searching (not sure posting links allowed).

I have also found an ultralight down vest to be a good new addition to my wardrobe. Ultralight down jacket could serve the purpose of a liner if you can't find a coat with zip-out lining.

Hope this info may be useful.

Edited by the mice
Sorry for double post

We are going on the GCT Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, starting in Basel on November 4th and doing the post-extension in Belgium - coming home on Thanksgiving Day. We went looking for some outerwear last weekend and I found a thermoball (lightweight down alternative since I am allergic to down) jacket that I like. But am still trying to figure out what jacket to wear over it.... The advice here is to make sure that I have a good waterproof and windproof jacket when traveling this time of year, right?

A key factor for me is to not feel so bundled that it is hard to take photos. I already have a microfiber jacket that would allow plenty of freedom of movement but it sounds like I will really want a windproof, waterproof (rather than water resistant) shell if traveling that time of year, right? I will take an umbrella that I can use if it is pouring rain....

My husband is all set as he found a waterproof jacket at Eddie Bauer with a down jacket that can be zipped into it or worn separately. And it has a life time warranty which is great!

Any other last minute tips for traveling along the Rhine and Mosel that time of year?

Many thanks!

That is a great trip Sapphire73, we did it in reverse in March '14. You might want to check out sporting goods stores for a lightweight water/wind proof jacket. Try it on over your "down" jacket and just reconcile yourself to it being baggy if no liner.

We use at least one roomy back back for our carry on. Then we take it with us on the daily tours, a good place for outerwear as we unlayer or to carry the waterproof layers and umbrellas "just in case."

Unrelated to outerwear, there is a fair amount of free time for you to explore on your own. We did a number of things on our own and can share some ideas if you are interested. Finally, when in Belguim, never have the same beer twice. There are too many to try to limit yourself; if you are a beer geek, skip anything you have seen in one of your local stores.

Enjoy!

ETA - Do you know who is your Program Director?

Edited by CPT Trips

That is a great trip Sapphire73, we did it in reverse in March '14.

CPT Trips, I will start a new thread about the GCT cruise on the Rhine and Mosel Rivers. Thanks.

You might want to check out sporting goods stores for a lightweight water/wind proof jacket.

Looked in 5 sporting goods stores but only found one option that might work. Will try it with the "down" jacket.

We use at least one roomy back back for our carry on. Then we take it with us on the daily tours, a good place for outerwear as we unlayer or to carry the waterproof layers and umbrellas "just in case."

Great idea to use a backpack for layers, umbrellas, etc.

Thank you for your input!

And that's why I shop online;) Look at Sierra Trading Post for options, and check their facebook page for current coupon offers (I usually keep a cart full, waiting for their 40% coupons to come out:o)

(I'm warm blooded - I do not travel with down unless the temps are going to consistently be below 15 F - I just don't need that degree of warmth - a cashmere sweater and a waterproof jacket & a warm scarf are usually enough for me, and if I need more warmth one night, I prefer to add a baselayer - silk, Uniqlo heattech etc- than to carry a bulky outerlayer that would be too warm for me most days. But everyone needs to know their own internal thermometers and compare that to the expected highs & lows of the destination....)

And that's why I shop online;) Look at Sierra Trading Post for options, and check their facebook page for current coupon offers (I usually keep a cart full, waiting for their 40% coupons to come out:o)

(I'm warm blooded - I do not travel with down unless the temps are going to consistently be below 15 F - I just don't need that degree of warmth - a cashmere sweater and a waterproof jacket & a warm scarf are usually enough for me, and if I need more warmth one night, I prefer to add a baselayer - silk, Uniqlo heattech etc- than to carry a bulky outerlayer that would be too warm for me most days. But everyone needs to know their own internal thermometers and compare that to the expected highs & lows of the destination....)

Thanks for the reminder to look at Sierra Trading Post in the future. I know that I will need warmer layers than DH to be comfortable walking around for long periods in chillier weather. The Thermoball (down alternative) looks like it will pack very nicely and take less room than a polartec fleece, for example. So we'll see. The Philadelphia area is getting a little cooler at night, making it easier to try on these clothes (than humid 80 degree weather!).

I am still planning to get silk baselayer as well.

Thank you for taking time to give further input!

I started bike riding a few weeks ago, because I am bigger and heavier than I want to be. I last rode hard about 7 years ago. My awesome carbon fiber shoes were waiting for me. So, I have been riding most evenings the last few weeks about 7 to 15 miles after work. So, a few nights ago, the tread on my shoes was separating from the sole, so, I super glued them. Then last night when I went to tighten them down with the click click connector, it fell on the floor... so, I tried a couple of times to reengage it with my shoe, no luck. The plastic that held it was falling apart. What did I do.... I got out electrical tape, and wrapped it around after putting the shoe on..... then today.... I went to Sierra trading post and ordered new shoes.... they should be here tomorrow after work.

Love thermoballs, have two pairs of jackets, my wife does too. They are awesome under the goretex rain jacket options. We went thru eastern Europe last fall wearing those. Layers, and layers, goretex topside, thermoballs next technical underwear next.

jc

jc

I started bike riding a few weeks ago, because I am bigger and heavier than I want to be. I last rode hard about 7 years ago. My awesome carbon fiber shoes were waiting for me. So, I have been riding most evenings the last few weeks about 7 to 15 miles after work. So, a few nights ago, the tread on my shoes was separating from the sole, so, I super glued them. Then last night when I went to tighten them down with the click click connector, it fell on the floor... so, I tried a couple of times to reengage it with my shoe, no luck. The plastic that held it was falling apart. What did I do.... I got out electrical tape, and wrapped it around after putting the shoe on....

There's your problem -- you're supposed to use Duct Tape! :D

Read the 1-Star Reviews on Amazon at the above Link. Don't use on white because it will turn it a blotchy yellow!

1) I've never had a problem with it and have been using for 5+years.

2) I don't own anything white I would be spraying with this. But MOST silicone sprays can discolor light fabrics, which is why they ALL come with warnings to test in an inconspicuous spot first.

You don't want to use it? Fine. I was reporting MY personal experience because someone asked what waterproofing sprays people here had used.