1st Time Cruiser: Need Info on European cruises

GaryKirby

I'd like your recommendation/s:

My wife and I will be taking our 22-year old son and 19-year old daughter on a cruise to Europe next May/June 2016.

- We'd like to be on a cruise ship for 7-10 days.

- We prefer NOT to be on a gigantic cruise ship. Looking for more of a boutique cruise liner or large sailing ship

- We prefer NOT to be on a cruise ship packed with senior citizens.

- would like to make on-shore excursions most days

- interested in Barcelona, French Riviera, Cinque Terra, potentially Greece, other European cities

- favor a high-end cruise liner as opposed to a low-budget cruise

Best recommendations? Email me at knautah@aol.com

Thanks.

Are you going for the cruising experience, or the ports? You need to choose the places you most want to visit, and find a cruise that goes there. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and plug in the ports you want to see from the second list. It will tell you who is calling there and their itineraries. Then look up the demographic of the cruise lines. You don't say where you are from, Europe cruises are very port intensive. Not many sea days to use the ship amenities and try to avoid those seniors. Those of us from the US trend older because the cost of airfare makes a trip to Europe for a cruise (or any other vacation) much more expensive than for those already living on that side of the pond and not needing expensive air. We trend older because older folk have more time off and money to spend on vacations. EM

I'd like your recommendation/s:

- We'd like to be on a cruise ship for 7-10 days.

- We prefer NOT to be on a gigantic cruise ship. Looking for more of a boutique cruise liner or large sailing ship

- We prefer NOT to be on a cruise ship packed with senior citizens.

-

Thanks.

Any of the luxury lines: Seaborn, Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Europa2, also look at Windstar, Oceania, Azamara and Ponant. All these lines are expensive and won't have a lot of young passengers in May when schools and universities are in session. I have cruised on Oceania (favorite), Azamara and Ponant and booked the Europa2. I have also looked at small sail ships along the Turkish cost and small ships on the Croatian coast.

Edited by Floridiana

I too would look at Crystal (Ocean Ships and new Yacht), Suborn, Silversea, Regent and SeaDream.
Do they have to pay you to sail with them? Or would the answer be perjury??

:D:D:D

Seriously, I have to mostly concur with Keith. I think that Crystal and Regent may be bigger than you want and an older demographic, but you need to look closer. For sure they are not "mega" size and you won't feel crowded in any way on either. Seabourn, Silversea and SeaDream have a smaller feel (though Seabourn is over 600 guests nowdays). Shorex's recommendation on Windstar may or may not fit, depending on how much luxury you want - definitely a notch down from Keith's list but still above the upper mass market lines.

Just my two kopeks.

Seabourn, Silversea and SeaDream have a smaller feel (though Seabourn is over 600 guests nowdays).

Which Seabourn ship is over 600 guests "nowadays" ?

Seabourn currently has 3 ships, 450 guest capacity on each.

Fair enough, at the end of 2016 there will be one additional ship with over 600 guests, with another same size ship to follow. I don't think for one minute that SB will be selling the current 450 guest ships for at least a few years, or do you know something I don't?

MEA CULPA and thank you.

Got my numbers confused. Yes....Seabourn is a 450 capacity line right now.

I think that somehow I was once thinking of the combined total on the triplets and that got confused with the total for one new ship. And I just replaced 450 with 600.

Again, thanks. Always appreciate being corrected so I don't make the same mistake twice! (lots of new ones out there waiting)

Some of the larger ships have a 'ship within a ship' concept. Celebrity has something called 'Suite Life'. Club lounge, suite dining room, premium drinks and other perks for suite guests.

The reason I suggest is we often travel with our adult son and he has enjoyed the variety and flexibility of the large ships whilst we all have enjoyed the pampering of the suite life programme. Just a thought, may not suit you but your family may like to browse the facilities of the Reflection or Silhouette.