Refrigerator for storing insulin

authementfly1

We are sailing on the Triumph next September and my in-laws are joining us for their first cruise. Father in law requires insulin. Are there refrigerators in the interior cabins? If not I'm sure we can keep him supplied with ice but thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Also, have your FIL check with his Pharmacist about his specific insulin. A number of them today can be left out of a refrigerator for a certain number of days. One that I know of is something like 28 days and another one closer to 35 days. Others probably have a shorter number of days. Be sure that he checks on this with a Pharmacist who keeps current on such information. Many diabetics have no idea about this change in the past years. Makes travel much easier if your insulin is one with an expended time allowed our of refrigeration.

A friend who goes on long cruises keeps one of her insulin pens in the cabin and leaves others with the Nurse in the Medical Station. Then when her first one has "expired" she gets the reserve pen form the medical center refrigerator to get her through the rest of her cruise. This made her cruising ever so much easier!

When you get on board go to guest services. They have these small electric medicine coolers you can fit a few vials of insulin in. You have to leave a $75 deposit but as soon as you take it back they credit your S&S card. That is what we did on the Inspiration.

While on the Triumph, there were no fridges or coolers available. I wrapped my insulin in a facecloth, out it in a zip lock bag and placed on top of a filled ice bucket, and put the lid on. The cabin steward refilled the ice every morning and evening, and it worked perfectly.

When you get on board go to guest services. They have these small electric medicine coolers you can fit a few vials of insulin in. You have to leave a $75 deposit but as soon as you take it back they credit your S&S card. That is what we did on the Inspiration.

We had one of these on the Victory recently. They are called "MediCooler". The supply is very limited, so check as soon as you get on board.

I emailed the special needs department just a few weeks ago and while it took almost a week to get a reply, I finally did. Two, in fact.

We are sailing on the Sunshine, so I knew specifically that our cabin does not have a mini-fridge. The first email said they put a request to have a mini-fridge put into our cabin and the second email doesn't mention that. While they both have the same theme, the replies are almost contradictory. I just got a chuckle out of that, imagine Carnival giving conflicting information! :rolleyes:

fridge-M.jpg

fridge%202-M.jpg

I use insulin pens for my diabetes. I just put the pen in a zip lock bag and stored it in the ice bucket for my 7 day cruise. Room steward was very good at refilling the ice bucket each day.

Edited by john91498

I own my own medi fridge it wasn't expensive. But, the fridge in the room has always been cool enough to keep my vials just fine. Even the vials don't have to be COLD just not warm. I have pens now and the one I am injecting out of I keep in my purse or on my desk. No problem. I have taken multiple vials and needles on board without any problems no one has ever questioned me.

While on the Triumph, there were no fridges or coolers available. I wrapped my insulin in a facecloth, out it in a zip lock bag and placed on top of a filled ice bucket, and put the lid on. The cabin steward refilled the ice every morning and evening, and it worked perfectly.

Simplest thing to do:)

The refrigerators do not stay cool enough to keep insulin. Contact the special needs dept. They will take care of it.

Actually many of the modern insulin can remain unrefrigerated for up to 7 days. The person with insulin should check with their pharmacist to find out how long they're insulin will remain good without refrigeration.

Read your instructions for Pens with insulin most can go 30 days so unless you are going for 30 days there is no problem at room temp. Even if you have a extra pen with. Most cruises will be 7 days + travel time so no real problem

I just wanted to point out that putting insulin in ice buckets is not the best idea. I have been on 6 different types of insulin, and have used both pens and vials. Every single type of insulin I have used says to throw out the insulin immediately if it freezes. On the other hand, all of my vials have had shelf life's of at least 30 days upon reaching room temperature. All of my pens have had shelf life's ranging from 14 days to 30 days upon reaching room temperature. Room temperature on most brands of insulin is considered to be in the range of 50 degrees F to 100 degrees F.

Might want to switch to inhaled insulin. Afrezza from the hundreds using it say it mimics the Pancreas. I understand it is a prandial insulin but the reviews are unbelievable. My wife now has zero hypo's. Can sit at dinner when it starts and take a puff. No more needles.

Also, have your FIL check with his Pharmacist about his specific insulin. A number of them today can be left out of a refrigerator for a certain number of days. One that I know of is something like 28 days and another one closer to 35 days. Others probably have a shorter number of days. Be sure that he checks on this with a Pharmacist who keeps current on such information. Many diabetics have no idea about this change in the past years. Makes travel much easier if your insulin is one with an expended time allowed our of refrigeration.

A friend who goes on long cruises keeps one of her insulin pens in the cabin and leaves others with the Nurse in the Medical Station. Then when her first one has "expired" she gets the reserve pen form the medical center refrigerator to get her through the rest of her cruise. This made her cruising ever so much easier!

I wish people stop playing doctor/nurse when the obviously don't have a clue what they are talking about. Yes it can be out for up to 28 days, but that is NOT the reason you keep it in the fridge, you have to keep it at a temperature that is specific to each drug. Aka mine is below 70 degrees(not good left out if the cabin or outside is above that, I always keep a ice gel pack with my insulin tote I bring with me out anywhere that I know is hot) or above 40 degrees. If it deviate in temperature they make the drug useless and could be a life threatening situation. So please STOP playing doctor if you are not one.