Farewell Dawn Princess

A beautiful ship. I hope it stays that way.

I hope she does too. Ye olde Regal Princess was turned into Pacific Dawn back in 2007, not a great job there.:eek:

I wonder how many extra beds they will cram into the Pacific Explorer?

I hope she does too. Ye olde Regal Princess was turned into Pacific Dawn back in 2007, not a great job there.:eek:

I wonder how many extra beds they will cram into the Pacific Explorer?

The Dawn Princess already has quite a lot of four-berth cabins. The Regal Princess did also before she went over to P&O as Pacific Dawn.

It was a nice ship to sail on for some short voyages. I suspect the Sun Princess and the Sea Princess will not long follow it out of service with Princess. The only good thing about it going is that it means more opportunity for other newer and more modern ships to fill the gap that it will leave. Princess have always delivered a consistent product so they will have no problems finding ships to send here to take its place.

The Dawn Princess already has quite a lot of four-berth cabins. The Regal Princess did also before she went over to P&O as Pacific Dawn.

I was on last cruise of old Regal Princess in Sept 2007, before changeover to Pacific Dawn. Route was LA to Sydney. There were 50 carpenters put on at NZ working on the ship converting cabins to 'friendly fours.' The capacity of ship was increased by a couple of hundred at least.:evilsmile:

I am not sure having more people on the ship will do it any favours unless they increase the staffing as well.

Indeed Mic....Increased pax also means impact on public areas, i.e. buffet, lounges, theatre etc. If a ship was designed to carry 1700 why put 2000 on it? Answer: Revenue.:evilsmile:

Don't know where this rumour of the ship holding more passengers originated. If you read the blurb available about the Pacific Explorer she still carries the same passengers as the Dawn princess.

The only time the figure varies is that Princess cruises only ever quote the number of berths at deck level, whereas some other lines quote the maximum including the fold down ceiling berths.

I think it stems from the last acquisition and adding extra cabins.

I think you are referring to Regal Princess which became Pacific Dawn. No more extra cabins were added , but they converted many of the twin cabins into quads by adding extra drop down beds in the ceiling.

They did this , as stated, without adding any extra amenities, eg extra dining and lounge seating . I doubt they could add any extra capacity to Dawn Princess as she is already crowded in some areas , eg the Princess Theatre that can only hold 550.

I think you are referring to Regal Princess which became Pacific Dawn. No more extra cabins were added , but they converted many of the twin cabins into quads by adding extra drop down beds in the ceiling.

They did this , as stated, without adding any extra amenities, eg extra dining and lounge seating . I doubt they could add any extra capacity to Dawn Princess as she is already crowded in some areas , eg the Princess Theatre that can only hold 550.

Thanks David, Yes, sorry it was the increased passenger capacity rather than extra cabins. Either way if the weather is bad it is much more noticeable when everyone is inside rather than having a spread across all areas of the ship.

Correct David and Mic, I was referring to my experiences on ye olde Regal Princess they made quite a few quad cabins from doubles/twins enroute LA to Sydney/Singapore for refit, thus increasing pax capacity at full complement, as we were aboard. Dawn Princess already carries 2000 approx.

Regal Princess was a 70,000 tonner - Crown Class, Dawn Princess is a 77,000 Tonner - Sun Class.

Regal was like a construction site in the last couple of weeks from the trip from LA to Sydney, carpenters hammering away, pool removed, refit going on, without asking, we got a swag of OBC and 20% discount on our next Princess cruise. Princess really stuffed up.

Edited by NSWP

We were on the Inaugural World Cruise of Dawn Princess, Sydney/Sydney July 2009 [Auckland/Southampton] it was an awesome Cruise. Unfortunately I think from what friends have said, on each subsequent World Cruise, the standards have slipped and Costcutting has become the norm. We had terrific Food and Shows! Have a soft spot for these ships even though they are looking a little worse for wear. Farewell Dawn.:loudcry: Won't be going on you as the Explorer. Anjo.

• 3 weeks later...