Leap in the dark. Around Australia on Radiance of the Seas

New to this forum and not (yet) very experienced at cruises. I confess l'm terrible at planning ahead so we can never book something a year away as seems to be the best idea with cruises.

OTOH my Canada-based older sister and husband have spent many years cruising all over the world from their summer home in Florida. So when she said they'd booked the above cruise Sydney -Fremantle and perhaps we'd enjoy it too I threw caution to the winds and emailed their favourite agent (in Texas) to join the adventure.

Now I've NO idea if this is considered a great itinerary or I've paid more or less than I should. I've heard cruise lines take a dim view of Australian-based people booking through 'mercun travel agents for Australian trips (and have threatened to stop them boarding) although not sure why. So I guess I'm steeling myself for possibly finding out I've acted in haste and will repent at leisure.

Since the first stop is in Brisbane we might forgo two nights aboard and save airfares to join ship here (no discount on the cruise though). It'll be a very rare chance to spend time with my sister (probably the last chance) and my wife and I both deserve a holiday so here's hoping it works out well. All (polite) comments pro and con welcomed. Felix.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

2017 P&O South Pacific Islands

2018 Royal Carribean Around Australia

The one in February 2018? It's a nice itinerary and, with all the sea days, will give you plenty of time to catch up with your sister. It will be very hot and humid around the Top End though. I don't know what the US prices were like but the prices I can see on an Aussie online site seem fair for that length cruise.

We did Fremantle to Sydney a couple of years ago on Princess and loved it. The itinerary was slightly different - we stopped at Broome, Lombok and Port Douglas, and the cruise was in August so the weather was gorgeous.

I assume you live in Brisbane. You should be able to get a very cheap airfare to Sydney. Personally I'd take two extra days onboard against a small saving on an airfare any day. :D

It sounds a wonderful cruise. I much prefer Radiance to the Voyager class ships that also sail here. Cabins are nice and large and have a full size couch (unlike some other cruise lines). As for booking through the US - RCI is not to my knowledge one of the lines that tries to make us book through the Australian site or using only AU agents. In addition the refused boarding threat is just that IMO, a threat. There have been the occasional reports of this happening but nothing substantiated. I wouldn't worry at all about it - once your booking is confirmed you should be able to log onto RCI and use the # to check everything is in order.

Being able to spend time with your sister outweighs any doubts about the cost etc. Enjoy the time and the cruise.

The one in February 2018? It's a nice itinerary and, with all the sea days, will give you plenty of time to catch up with your sister. It will be very hot and humid around the Top End though. I don't know what the US prices were like but the prices I can see on an Aussie online site seem fair for that length cruise.

We did Fremantle to Sydney a couple of years ago on Princess and loved it. The itinerary was slightly different - we stopped at Broome, Lombok and Port Douglas, and the cruise was in August so the weather was gorgeous.

I assume you live in Brisbane. You should be able to get a very cheap airfare to Sydney. Personally I'd take two extra days onboard against a small saving on an airfare any day. :D

Yes that's the sailing. They said they paid $5,700 (Canadian probably) and we're paying $4,904 US which at today's exchange rate would be $6,549 kangaroos. Both 'Ocean View' cabins. When we first inquired there were three left. By the next morning our time when I called to pay he said there was only ONE left. Although it's possible that booking through a local agent there'd still be some available.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

Another one for loving the Radiance, lovely ship.

We booked through a US TA for a cruise on Radiance two years ago........no troubles boarding the ship in Sydney;)

Have a great cruise!!

Have done this cruise 5x on Radiance, although in October or November.

Loved cruising along the Queensland coast and Cape York.

Each time it was different, different cruisers, different vibe, sometimes SYD - FRE other times other way and once we got off Radiance in Fremantle and embarked a few days later to finish the circumnavigation on Volendam - didn't want to go to NZ again on Radiance.

Just relax and enjoy - especially sunrise in Darwin and the WA sunsets.

Yes that's the sailing. They said they paid $5,700 (Canadian probably) and we're paying $4,904 US which at today's exchange rate would be $6,549 kangaroos. Both 'Ocean View' cabins. When we first inquired there were three left. By the next morning our time when I called to pay he said there was only ONE left. Although it's possible that booking through a local agent there'd still be some available.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

It's interesting but I have found that the US agents have difficulty giving really good prices for cruises in Australia - the savings seem to be for ones in the US/Caribbean or the Mediterranean. Have had quotes in the past and it seems to be that booking local cruises here is actually cheaper in the long run. The only difference is that sometimes US TAs have big OBC offerings which we often miss out on.

I think if you are decided to do this cruise, start looking at the RCI website here and also some of the AU online Was as well (or even a bricks and mortar one if you have one you know) as see what they come up with. You can usually cancel and receive a full refund when using US TAs so you have time to sort it out.

I think if you are decided to do this cruise, start looking at the RCI website here and also some of the AU online Was as well (or even a bricks and mortar one if you have one you know) as see what they come up with. You can usually cancel and receive a full refund when using US TAs so you have time to sort it out.

As the cruise is in 2018, you might be able to cancel the booking with the American TA and book the same cabin through an Australian TA at a cheaper rate. It is worth investigating.:)

The problem I have with US TAs is that any perceived savings are eroded buy the current exchange rate. It was much different when we had parity. On a brighter note, if it still works out cheaper than it is a great deal anyway.

Can't see how to correct an error in my post. Tried sending this to LauraS nut I get "failed to send message"??

Thank you for the message Laura. I've a typo' in my post. FAQ tells me how to correct it IF the moderator permits, but that option doesn't seem to be available. Please let me know.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

Can't see how to correct an error in my post. Tried sending this to LauraS nut I get "failed to send message"??

Thank you for the message Laura. I've a typo' in my post. FAQ tells me how to correct it IF the moderator permits, but that option doesn't seem to be available. Please let me know.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

Don't worry about typos Felix - we all have them from time to time (often actually :)). You only have a narrow window where you can correct/edit your posts. People are usually pretty good at working out what other posters mean and if there is confusion (like a 'not like' when they mean 'do like' , people will ask.)

Don't worry about typos Felix - we all have them from time to time (often actually :)). You only have a narrow window where you can correct/edit your posts. People are usually pretty good at working out what other posters mean and if there is confusion (like a 'not like' when they mean 'do like' , people will ask.)

Yes, I agree, plenty of " spelling police" on the other boards, but none here;)

I think you have about 10 minutes to edit a post......my fingers go faster than my brain these days, sometimes I read back and :eek::rolleyes:......plus lots use smaller devices to post these days, everything is so much quicker and faster!!!

Yes, I agree, plenty of " spelling police" on the other boards, but none here;)

I think you have about 10 minutes to edit a post......my fingers go faster than my brain these days, sometimes I read back and :eek::rolleyes:......plus lots use smaller devices to post these days, everything is so much quicker and faster!!!

Yes ..the edit button is only there for a few minutes. Heres a tip...

if you press the edit button it will only edit the text, once there if you select advanced , you can edit the entire the post , including the heading.

Well I said my sister's SUMMER place is in Florida. Of course Canadians don't go south for the summer; like the birds we go south for the WINTER (when it's summertime for us here in Australia).

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

Well I said my sister's SUMMER place is in Florida. Of course Canadians don't go south for the summer; like the birds we go south for the WINTER (when it's summertime for us here in Australia).

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

No worries, I think most people would allow some leniency over typos, that is at least those of us with fat fingers and a dodgy auto prompt.

Booking through a U.S. TA may not include gratuities in the price. If booked through an AUS site - Grats are included.

The US sites often exclude fees and taxes in their advertised price as well, make sure you account for these when comparing prices.

I'm no practical help at all, but I really want to do that itinerary. I have sailed up the east coast and around to Darwin in October and it was glorious. I would love to do the rest. I would prefer to do it August but if February was my only change and it came along with a chance to see a sibling I'd be all over it, and wouldn't worry too much about the cost if I was running the risk of losing my cabin.

Exactly what I'm worried about. Talked to a local agent today though; they said that our cabin 3xxx is on a very low deck and right up near the bow. Even a neophyte like me knows that's not ideal. My domestic goddess isn't terribly impressed and wants me to cancel this booking (assuming the deposit is refundable) and rebook locally.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

Looking at both the RCI site and another one that shows all available cabins, it looks like there are only 3 ocean view cabins available for this cruise - all on Deck 3 (which is fine as it should be pretty stable - 2 were forward and one aft). If you want to cancel and rebook I would be inclined to do it sooner rather than later. I like using the RCI site as it gives you control over your booking and you can make extra payments before the due date online.

Well my domestic goddess absolutely wouldn't accept a deck three cabin and has insisted on cancelling this reservation. I've been assured by a local travel agent there are cabins on deck seven, not clear to me whether they are Ocean View or balcony cabins but although they more (Australian) dollars it ends up being around the same price after the forex.

She assures us this includes gratuities, taxes and some obc whereas the US reservation may not have. So lesson learned, booking a cruise (in this part of the world anyway) through a US agent is NOT always cheaper than getting it locally contrary to what I've long been told. Forex has a lot to do with it of course.

I was agonising over whether a cancellation would be expensive or difficult but they were very nice about it which was such a relief since I was afraid I'd have to go the 'disputed transaction' route with the credit card people. So another lesson learned. Now provided there's no glitch REbooking this cruise we'll live happily ever after.

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand