Dress Code

gkgk123ca

They are correct - jackets are not required on non-formal nights now. That said, you will still see plenty of them.

Your cruise planner will indicate the exact number of formal nights but as a comparative reference, we had 2 on the 16 night spring crossing for Quest.

...How many should I expect on the 12 night Dec 7 Lisbon to FLL?

Some time while I was away during the past couples of weeks, I received a preliminary documentation package for that crossing. According to the booklet, there are three "formal optional nights" on the trip.

Thanks Exarkie, I would have guessed two but I will plan on three.

I'll probably be shot down in flames for this, but here goes:-

The current Dress Code states "Men with a collared dress shirt OR sweater; jacket optional" (My Caps)

Currently on Quest R.O.V. (now in a very chilly Nanortalik, Greenland) the majority of men are wearing a jacket in the evenings, but there are still a couple of men who think that a v-necked sweater only (with no shirt) can look smart, especially considering the average age and body shapes onboard.

I'll wait for the flack! 😀

Each to his own is probably the answer to your post.

The sight of a man in a sweater without a shirt should not put you off your enjoyment of the cruise.

I wouldn't go out to dinner dressed like that but the World has changed quit a lot in the last ten years that it's not worth worrying about.

I get more concerned about the wine list than what others are wearing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

Each to his own is probably the answer to your post.

The sight of a man in a sweater without a shirt should not put you off your enjoyment of the cruise.

I wouldn't go out to dinner dressed like that but the World has changed quit a lot in the last ten years that it's not worth worrying about.

I think you have your priorities in order, Mr. L!

Thanks to all for responding. I did call Seabourn and she confirmed three (3) formal nights as this is a crossing. She also mentioned that was for MDR only but no jeans after six anywhere on board. Something for everyone!

Corporate should tell that to some of the crew who bring on family / friends. Last year on a cruise we observed on multiple evenings an officer and his"guest" in the Club well after 6 (by definition it would have to be after 6:30) having drinks and the guest was wearing blue jeans and a tee shirt. To be fair I never saw that individual in the MDR.

each to his own is probably the answer to your post.

I wouldn't go out to dinner dressed like that but the world has changed quit a lot in the last ten years that it's not worth worrying about.

Sent from my ipad using forums

amen!!!!!

I thought the new dress code was formal "optional" and that formal wear was no longer required except in The Restaurant. Can I get a clarification please

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Formal i.e. tuxedos is optional. A suit or suit jacket and pants are fine.

The one difference about the "Formal" (formal optional nights) is that jeans are not permitted in any public space on those evenings after 6PM.

Ok

Bringing tux but if I eat in a venue other than the restaurant I assume no jacket required any night. Just want to understand options

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok

Bringing tux but if I eat in a venue other than the restaurant I assume no jacket required any night. Just want to understand options

No jacket required at the Patio Grill, R2/TK Grille, or the Colonnade on any night.

No jacket required in The Restaurant except on formal night.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a 10 night cruise on the Quest on the St Lawrence in Canada.

The formal night was the 9th evening of a 10 night cruise. (I thought that was a little odd). In the main dining room, I would estimate 25% of men were in tuxedos or formal dinner jackets. Another 50% were in suits and ties. 15% more had sport jackets with tie. So that left about 10% in a sport jacket and open collar shirt, - no tie.

Interestingly, we started the evening with dinner in the Grill and I and my friend were the only men in formal wear and our wives were more formal than most women. But when we went to the dining room for dessert (by the way - a great idea as it turned out!) we saw a much more formal mix.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Quest a few years ago and we LOVED it. This past summer we were on Windstar and we were prepared to not love it as much. But we LOVED it. Two of the best things about it were that they offer a laundry package and there were NO formal nights. We were able to travel for 2 weeks with only a carry on each. I was able to pack several dresses that could go from day to night and my husband khakis and button downs. No jackets, nothing to be dry cleaned. It was very freeing. We are thinking of Seabourn for next September, but the idea of having to think about formal nights is not very appealing. We always looked "business casual" appropriate but jackets, ties, high heels etc. I dont know. As much as we want a slightly bigger ship with a better gym, the formal nights...we will see

Just because many of the 'finest restaurants' do not enforce a no jeans policy, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Yes, I view it as slumming and perhaps thumbing one's nose at others. I admit it may also be an age-related thing, too. I usually question a person's estimation of a 'finest restaurant'. But that's just me.

Although we have been on at least 20+ cruises on other lines, this is our first cruise on Seabourn. If this thread is any indication of what's really important to the people who choose this line, I think it may be our last. Wearing jeans or not wearing them after the bewitching hour is not how people should be judged. We are talking about a pair of pants, not world poverty or being kind to others. I might add that we spend two months every year in the South of France, an area densely populated with Michelin starred restaurants which we frequent. While I personally would not wear jeans to them at dinner, I must say that over the 20 years that we have been doing this, the dress code has been relaxed to the point that a tie and jacket are no longer required at any, including the Louis XV in Monte Carlo. So, like it or not, things ARE changing. Perhaps in the name of change, we too, could turn our focus to things of greater significance than a dinner outfit.

The whole issue with jeans has nothing to do with the approval or disapproval of other passengers. All that matters is Seabourn's very clear dress code which states no jeans in the Restaurant period and no jeans in any public space after 6PM on formal optional nights. There is nothing onerous about this dress code. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Although we have been on at least 20+ cruises on other lines, this is our first cruise on Seabourn. If this thread is any indication of what's really important to the people who choose this line, I think it may be our last. Wearing jeans or not wearing them after the bewitching hour is not how people should be judged. We are talking about a pair of pants, not world poverty or being kind to others. I might add that we spend two months every year in the South of France, an area densely populated with Michelin starred restaurants which we frequent. While I personally would not wear jeans to them at dinner, I must say that over the 20 years that we have been doing this, the dress code has been relaxed to the point that a tie and jacket are no longer required at any, including the Louis XV in Monte Carlo. So, like it or not, things ARE changing. Perhaps in the name of change, we too, could turn our focus to things of greater significance than a dinner outfit.

I'm so over dress code threads, however for some reason my iPad presented this one to me, it must be one I subscribed to in the past. May I just compliment you on the best response to this topic I have ever read. That's all. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by lahore