Men...What do you where to dinner in the MDR?

Jeans and either a polo or a nice button up on casual nights, generally khakis with a dress shirt of some sort on formal night. Sometimes I bring a jacket, sometimes I don't ... don't think I will on this cruise.

Until recently, every night I wore a polo shirt and black slacks.

Now I sometimes will wear nice black shorts and the polo..

For formal night, I used to go with a tux, then a suite, now I just we wear a polo and the black slacks, unless my wife would like to dress up. Its just not worth it to me to bring and waste the time and energy to dress in a tux for dinner in the MDR.. And besides, I dont violate the dress code, I just come in right at the bare minimum.

Yet you return to a Carnival board and post opinions vs facts. If you've moved on from Carnival rent the Disney classic Frozen. Put on your tux and "let it go."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never wore a tux i only posted because i saw the question on timeline, if i realised it was Carnival i wouldn't have bothered.

Never wore a tux i only posted because i saw the question on timeline, if i realised it was Carnival i wouldn't have bothered.

I guess you're too good for Carnival, and just couldn't help yourself posting.

I guess you're too good for Carnival, and just couldn't help yourself posting.

Like i said i saw the question on timeline and thought it was interesting,then i saw it was Carnival when i put my glasses on lol.

Out of respect to other passengers, wear what you would to a fine dining restaurant. No shorts, no denim. Leather shoes, slacks, collared shirt or polo. Oh, and remove your hat at the table like your mother taught you. If you to want to wear casual go the buffet. Same food in a casual atmosphere. Formal nights, tux, suit, or at least jacket & tie...again the buffet is always a casual choice. My last European cruise 98% wore tuxs on Formal nights. On a Caribbean cruise mostly suits and sports jackets...but always a tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depending on where you live, denim is perfectly acceptable in fine dining restaurants. Maybe try not to worry about what other people are wearing so much.

Depending on where you live, denim is perfectly acceptable in fine dining restaurants. Maybe try not to worry about what other people are wearing so much.

OMG!!! That will NEVER happen on Cruise Critic!!!!

regular nights i wear tan dockers and a button down shirt. On cruise elegant nights i wear a tux because i bought it and it's the only time i get any use out of it. I have a black, blue and silver vest and tie so it depends on what dw is wearing as to which ones i use. One for one night, a different set for the second night.

We normally cruise either a seven or eight day cruise. We have one booked for five days and i don't plan on taking it then. I'll just wear dockers and button down collared shirt with a tie.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Shorts with a causal shirt every night other than formal night where I have a button down shirt and pants. Comfort is key
My inclination has been to overdress on casual nights more so than tux it up on formal nights. Even when formal nights were more of a big deal, we aimed more so for practicality over showiness. I'll likely wear the same type of shirts and pants to dinner each night, just throwing on a sport jacket and tie on the formal nights.

However, I agree that comfort is key. I'm not one who finds a tie to be uncomfortable, but I understand that folks are different in that regard. Now, at least, a tie is no longer expected. Back in the day, I remember getting inanely self-serving dirty looks once from people who didn't understand the fashion concept that not every dress shirt takes a tie (this was during a short period back when Nehru dress shirts were stylish) and thought it was their place to be judgmental about it. Hopefully, that sort of thing is on the decline.

The shorts versus pants thing is a bit less clear to me. I've never been comfortable in a dining room in shorts. For starters, I recall it being kept quite cool (perhaps in recognition that men were effectively supposed to be wearing jackets and many women like to wear pretty scarves and shawls). Also, Carnival does specify "dress shorts". I cannot imagine being comfortable in them, solely because they make me feel like I should be walking a golf fairway in Bermuda. But that's just me.

Mine wear polo and either shorts or jeans with slip on boat shoes on non elegant night.On cruise elegant nights he wears dress pants , dress shirt and same boat type shoes. he only takes 2 pair of shoes with him, sandals and slip ons.

My inclination has been to overdress on casual nights more so than tux it up on formal nights. Even when formal nights were more of a big deal, we aimed more so for practicality over showiness. I'll likely wear the same type of shirts and pants to dinner each night, just throwing on a sport jacket and tie on the formal nights.

However, I agree that comfort is key. I'm not one who finds a tie to be uncomfortable, but I understand that folks are different in that regard. Now, at least, a tie is no longer expected. Back in the day, I remember getting inanely self-serving dirty looks once from people who didn't understand the fashion concept that not every dress shirt takes a tie (this was during a short period back when Nehru dress shirts were stylish) and thought it was their place to be judgmental about it. Hopefully, that sort of thing is on the decline.

The shorts versus pants thing is a bit less clear to me. I've never been comfortable in a dining room in shorts. For starters, I recall it being kept quite cool (perhaps in recognition that men were effectively supposed to be wearing jackets and many women like to wear pretty scarves and shawls). Also, Carnival does specify "dress shorts". I cannot imagine being comfortable in them, solely because they make me feel like I should be walking a golf fairway in Bermuda. But that's just me.

Wear what makes you happy, I wear cargo shorts and feel comfortable especially on Carnival, hell I more dressed than some others. I dont look at the dining room as a fancy or upscale experience just as a place to have a casual dinner

If my husband had his way, he'd wear what-the-heck-ever. But out of respect for me, the dress code and the staff, he wears khakis and a polo shirt on regular nights and dress slacks, dress shirt, jacket and tie on elegant nights. And then he high-tails it back to the cabin to change, lol.

DH wears a collared shirt, NO tie every night. I wear resort casual. Not only do I not care what other people think, here's the key: I wouldn't notice if people are looking at us and approving or disapproving because I'm not looking at them! My attention is on my own dinner companions, period...