Taking alcohol on the Epic

McGirls

Hi,

We will be travelling on the epic in September following the end of a four week holiday in Europe. I am planning on buying some champagne as gifts while we are in Paris. I don't drink alcohol so there is no risk of me consuming them on the ship. Is there a way to take alcohol that you don't intend to drink on board without having to pay any surcharge? I am hoping you may be able to check it in at the commencement of the cruise, and collect it as you leave the ship. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Kerrie

Policy says each adult can bring 1 bottle of wine onboard, they'll charge you corkage fee if you take it into mdr

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is NCL's policy:

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

Also, there is no limit as to the number of bottles you can bring on and you pay the corkage fee no matter where you drink it.

OP, not sure if you can check it, but I'm sure others will chime in on that.

Policy says each adult can bring 1 bottle of wine onboard, they'll charge you corkage fee if you take it into mdr

Totally incorrect.

Any number of bottles of wine brought onboard and all will be charged a corkage fee regardless of where it is consumed. Other alcohol can be checked with the desk at security and it will be returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

We have had spirits "stored" for us provided they are unopened bottles so I see no reason why they would not do it for you and your champagne.

Two things to check; the quantity you can import to the USA/Australia duty free and the standard of the champagne; you may have to drink a few to find one you love!!

Thanks so much. Regrettably I won't be tempted to drink it as unfortunately I'm allergic to alcohol (well the preservative in it). Glad to know I can store 2 bottles during the cruise. It will just be a matter of getting them home after that without breaking them.

Thanks so much. Regrettably I won't be tempted to drink it as unfortunately I'm allergic to alcohol (well the preservative in it). Glad to know I can store 2 bottles during the cruise. It will just be a matter of getting them home after that without breaking them.

Any special reason why you want to buy them on your trip? Do you expect a better price or a brand you can't find in Australia or is it just a fun thing to be able to give away Champagne you have bought in France?

just a thought here and I hate to throw a damper into your plans, but even though you are going to let the ship hold it for you, the question, as you said, is getting it home safely. We were going to bring Champagne home on our last cruise. Our daughter reminded us, the luggage storage compartment on airplanes is very warm. There is a good chance the bottles will get hot and champagne can explode. Think of the God awful mess you would have. It might be better to bring quality wine home and forget the bubbly. Just a thought.

Why would the luggage compartment be very warm? It's actually very cold (compared to the passenger cabin, but not compared to the air outside, which is way below freezing).

People fly with champagne/sparkling wine in their luggage all the time. There is always a risk of breakage during baggage handling on the ground, but I wouldn't worry about the bottles exploding during the flight.