What the heck is a medallion?

Bently57

It is a coin size object that will act as your sail and sign. It can open your door and be used to charge items. That is what they told us in April. Somehow it will also let Princess your likes and dislikes. I read somewhere that there is a charge for it but not sure on that.

There are multiple threads here about it. Just try a search, or scroll back a few pages. EM

I did that but none of it made any sense. The link to the Princess site explains it slightly better. Apparently it won't be on the Sapphire in 2018, but either way, I am ambivalent.

The Sapphire Princess in June 2018 does not show as a medallion cruise. You should receive a cruise card as in the past. New ship's technology has installed to make the medallion functional.

Thank you.

There's no charge for medallion. /

Correct.

I think my takeaway was that there would be a charge for the fancy schmancy wrist band or other personalizer.

I'm on the inaugural for the Caribbean Princess usage. It seems like the wristband that they show in the photo would make things easier, but we will wait to hear from the pioneers on how it goes.

You will definitely pay a premium price for the medallion equipped cruises when they start. Going to really appeal to the millennials who thrive on tech. Imo not worth the extra $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You will definitely pay a premium price for the medallion equipped cruises when they start. Going to really appeal to the millennials who thrive on tech. Imo not worth the extra $$.

The medallion cruises are actually on a mega-sale right now. We are booked on the Regal in November with two balcony cabins, and with this sale, we were able to upgrade to two mini-suites while saving over $500.

http://www.princess.com/html/global/cruisedeals/red-white-blue-sale/

We are booked for a Medallion cruise in March. There is no premium charge for the cruise. In fact, we booked it under the Sip and Sail so we have free drinks for the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise. There is so much bogus information around...

There is not one "millennial" in the world who would chose a Princess cruise because of a medallion.

There is not one "millennial" in the world who would chose a Princess cruise because of a medallion.

Heh... I definitely won't choose a cruise just because of the Medallion but I am looking forward to trying it out. We are booked for a Medallion cruise next year and at the time of the cruise I will have just turned 65. I'm definitely not a millennial. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Heh... I definitely won't choose a cruise just because of the Medallion but I am looking forward to trying it out. We are booked for a Medallion cruise next year and at the time of the cruise I will have just turned 65. I'm definitely not a millennial. :rolleyes:

I may choose a cruise because it doesn't have this goofy medallion. And I worked in tech for 20 years. Looks like my first cruise with a medallion won't be until 2019...by then Princess might have the kinks worked out.

Interestingly, I have read on another post 2 people say they chose their cruise because it had the new medallion...(I don't really see how it is any different than a sign and sail card, or the capability that could be applied to a sign and sail as well, except it will be hard to carry around if I don't have pockets and don't want to purchase a special carrier.)

Interestingly, I have read on another post 2 people say they chose their cruise because it had the new medallion...(I don't really see how it is any different than a sign and sail card, or the capability that could be applied to a sign and sail as well, except it will be hard to carry around if I don't have pockets and don't want to purchase a special carrier.)

In theory I will be able to check to see that my wife is still at the Knitters and Natters meeting in the Crooner's area, order a Bloody Mary (which all bartenders should know - from my pre-set preferences - that I want extra spicy) and have it waiting for me there when I arrive to meet with my wife. How well this will work in practice is, naturally, still to be determined. The OCEAN setup is supposed to replace the current personalizer and one is "supposed" to be able to set all kinds of preferences. Like the Bloody Mary example above I would also (if possible) list in preferences that any time I order a Gin and Tonic I want it made with Tanqueray Gin rather than some other "well" gin.

There are many possibilities with the new tech but the Princess tech team hasn't wowed me in the past. They have a lot of new (and high paid) folks working on the Medallion tech and are investing about a bazillion dollars in it so I am hoping they can get it right. It debuts in November so by the time we sail in March there is a chance they will have most of the bugs worked out. Of course when we do sail it will be the first Medallion cruise for Caribbean Princess so there may well be tech vs crew issues to be worked out still.

The coolest thing is that we will be cruising. :)

In theory I will be able to check to see that my wife is still at the Knitters and Natters meeting in the Crooner's area, order a Bloody Mary (which all bartenders should know - from my pre-set preferences - that I want extra spicy) and have it waiting for me there when I arrive to meet with my wife. How well this will work in practice is, naturally, still to be determined. The OCEAN setup is supposed to replace the current personalizer and one is "supposed" to be able to set all kinds of preferences. Like the Bloody Mary example above I would also (if possible) list in preferences that any time I order a Gin and Tonic I want it made with Tanqueray Gin rather than some other "well" gin.

There are many possibilities with the new tech but the Princess tech team hasn't wowed me in the past. They have a lot of new (and high paid) folks working on the Medallion tech and are investing about a bazillion dollars in it so I am hoping they can get it right. It debuts in November so by the time we sail in March there is a chance they will have most of the bugs worked out. Of course when we do sail it will be the first Medallion cruise for Caribbean Princess so there may well be tech vs crew issues to be worked out still.

The coolest thing is that we will be cruising. :)

Maybe I missed it but how would it be able to do this? I mean how would you get the info about your wife? It's not a smart phone with a screen, you can't ask it a question like Siri. So how would you get this info while wandering the ship?

Feel free to direct me to a thread if one is out there explaining the tech about this.

Edited by sonomaphil

Maybe I missed it but how would it be able to do this? I mean how would you get the info about your wife? It's not a smart phone with a screen, you can't ask it a question like Siri. So how would you get this info while wandering the ship?

Feel free to direct me to a thread if one is out there explaining the tech about this.

The ship has thousands of sensors that can locate individual medallions within their range.

You can use your own WiFi enabled device (smart phone, tablet or laptop) or use one of the hundreds (yes hundreds) of touch screen monitors all around the ship. Your wife must "opt-in" to you knowing her location, kind of like Find iPhone app.

It's chip like they would put in a puppy to track your every move. They could tell if you're in their shops or in the bathroom, total lack of privacy.

Paranoia strikes deep...

There are always those who fail to follow the rules. In the case of a B2B when everybody must leave the ship before anybody can board there are always those who are "special" and don't follow the rules and it takes the crew an hour or more to track them down. With the Medallion they can corral the jerks quickly so it doesn't inconvenience an entire ship full of passengers. I'm glad they can find people. If you don't want others in your party to be able to locate you then you can opt out - unless you are underage and then you would need parental permission. You can't opt out of the crew being able to track you if needed as it is also a safety issue. Not all crew will be able to track passengers.

Paranoia strikes deep...

. You can't opt out of the crew being able to track you if needed as it is also a safety issue. Not all crew will be able to track passengers.

They'll have to dive to the bottom of the sea to find my medallion which is where it will be. I asked about my upcoming cruise and was told I can get a regular cruise card to open my door so I have no need for a medallion. If it ever becomes mandatory it's a deal breaker for me and I'm off to other cruise lines which I sail anyway but not as often as Princess.

It's chip like they would put in a puppy to track your every move. They could tell if you're in their shops or in the bathroom, total lack of privacy.

No problem.

You're not forced to use one & no one will be able to track you if you drop it off at the PSD after leaving your cabin. I suppose you'll have to take it with you when leaving the ship though.

Every one will be happy.:cool: