Is vermouth considered wine ?

jayscore

I have to ask.:rolleyes:

Is vermouth allowed to be carried on the ship? :evilsmile:

(After all, it IS a wine, eh?)

I think I know the answer, but, I had to ask!

Edited by jayscore
punctuation

take a wikipedia description, BTW, why would you want to bring on Vermouth?

Hi

A sweet Vermouth is nice drink on ice, maybe with a twist of lemon. It can also be mixed with other drinks. It is a wine of course, but it is also fortified so you might have an argument bringing it on board.

I have brought a bottle of dry white vermouth on board a Carnival cruise, but it did look like a bottle of wine, unlike a bottle of Martini and Rossi, for example. Don't forget it needs to be 750 ml.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

It is most definitely wine. You will have no trouble bringing it on. Don't listen to the naysayers on this site. Enjoy your cruise:)

If you are in Texas, vermouth is a liquor by definition, not a wine. Vermouth is fortified with wine spirits, making it a "liquor" for legal purposes. So, while they may let you by, don't be surprised if they don't.

If you are in Texas, vermouth is a liquor by definition, not a wine. Vermouth is fortified with wine spirits, making it a "liquor" for legal purposes. So, while they may let you by, don't be surprised if they don't.

Texas liquor laws are....not great...so I wouldn't be surprised if this is true but vermouth is still sold in grocery stores here while liquor is not allowed.

Either way, vermouth is a wine and should be allowed.

Texas liquor laws are....not great...so I wouldn't be surprised if this is true but vermouth is still sold in grocery stores here while liquor is not allowed.

Either way, vermouth is a wine and should be allowed.

I wondered about that, as I had thought I remembered seeing it in grocery stores. But, since I don't buy it very often, I couldn't recall. Perhaps there are "non-fortified" varieties? Or maybe the level of fortification is important? This certainly won't be the first (or last) time I was wrong.

But, yeah, Texas liquor laws are pretty odd. Until about 5 years ago, if your beer had more than 5% ABV, it could not be labeled as "beer". Malted beverages labeled as "beer" everywhere else in the country magically transformed into "Ale" or "Malt Liquor." One brand, Brooklyn, I believe, labeled itself "In Texas, Malt Liquor". That law was overturned in a lawsuit recently. A lawsuit. On whether we can call beer, "beer."

Bingo!:D

Let us know if you get it on the ship. While technically a fortified wine, it's actually wine with added alcohol giving it a higher alcohol content.

The vermouth we use doesn't say wine anywhere on the bottle (except for the ingredients).

Some reason they should be able to bring champagne cognac :rolleyes: on the ship as well.