Country Club Casual dress

Gator83

Hmmm, just got back from cruise on Riviera this past Sunday - awesome ship - however, for whatever reason the majority of people on our itinerary (Sacred Sanctuaries) were really not dressed too well at all. Not sure the reason why - frankly - they looked like they had used stuff from walmart - i was quite shocked. I brought quite a few nice clothes for evening that were dressy casual - i found i did not pack enough items for during the day and for the tours - most people just had on like old jeans or khakis and shabby looking t shirts with a few exceptions.

Sorry some people are being kind of mean!

Your sister can't wear jeans to dinner, other than to the Terrace, where I have seen lots of jeans, tshirts and shorts at dinner (not that I would ever do that myself). She can however wear jeans during the day all the time if she wants. I just don't understand the allure of jeans. To me, they are not very comfortable. I much prefer dresses.

In the evening, I usually wear a dress--sundress or cocktail dress depending on where we are and the weather. Sometimes I wear slacks and a top. My husband does not take a suit or tie, but if we are somewhere that is cooler, he will take a sports coat. Mostly in the evening, he wears slacks and long sleeve dress shirt.[/quot

Thank you. I am sure my SIL will find/buy something to wear. I don't think she really wears dresses. I myself have worn jeans on cruises when it has been appropriate. I am never cold on a cruisevso I don't even need a sweater or anything. She can eat at the buffet if she wants....lol.:D

Hmmm, just got back from cruise on Riviera this past Sunday - awesome ship - however, for whatever reason the majority of people kisson our itinerary (Sacred Sanctuaries) were really not dressed too well at all. Not sure the reason why - frankly - they looked like they had used stuff from walmart - i was quite shocked. I brought quite a few nice clothes for evening that were dressy casual - i found i did not pack enough items for during the day and for the tours - most people just had on like old jeans or khakis and shabby looking t shirts with a few exceptions.

Ugh.....hope it is not a trend.

Sorry some people are being kind of mean!

Your sister can't wear jeans to dinner, other than to the Terrace, where I have seen lots of jeans, tshirts and shorts at dinner (not that I would ever do that myself). She can however wear jeans during the day all the time if she wants. I just don't understand the allure of jeans. To me, they are not very comfortable. I much prefer dresses.

In the evening, I usually wear a dress--sundress or cocktail dress depending on where we are and the weather. Sometimes I wear slacks and a top. My husband does not take a suit or tie, but if we are somewhere that is cooler, he will take a sports coat. Mostly in the evening, he wears slacks and long sleeve dress shirt.

Actually it's Casual Jeans that are not allowed in the evening. I guess whatever non casual jeans are is open to interpretation. Refer to the posted dress code on the Oceania website.

For what it's worth I don't wear jeans to dinner, but there is absolutely nothing wrong or prohibited for ladies(or I guess men) to wear nice Chicos style colored jeans or maybe even blue ones. Happens all the time.

Hmmm, just got back from cruise on Riviera this past Sunday - awesome ship - however, for whatever reason the majority of people on our itinerary (Sacred Sanctuaries) were really not dressed too well at all. Not sure the reason why - frankly - they looked like they had used stuff from walmart - i was quite shocked. I brought quite a few nice clothes for evening that were dressy casual - i found i did not pack enough items for during the day and for the tours - most people just had on like old jeans or khakis and shabby looking t shirts with a few exceptions.

Yes, I refer to this as K-Mart Casual.

If I remember correctly, this cruise segment, like the one before it, had a large contingent of college alumni who purchased the cruise to do the itinerary and be with their buds. Some of them fit the more typical Oceania "repeat passenger" vibe. But a lot of them had never been on Oceania before.

On the previous segment, there was one fellow in an alumni group who wore a baseball cap and casual shorts to dinner at the Terrace one night. Either some matr'd must have said something (or his spouse looked around) and every night thereafter, everything from his clothes to his grooming was a step or two up.

IMO, if you want more of the typical O vibe, it's probably better to avoid cruises of two weeks or less, particularly if all they're going to do is the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like they were booked on Carnival and went to the wrong ship. Glad it does not happen very often.

If I remember correctly, this cruise segment, like the one before it, had a large contingent of college alumni who purchased the cruise to do the itinerary and be with their buds. Some of them fit the more typical Oceania "repeat passenger" vibe. But a lot of them had never been on Oceania before.

On the previous segment, there was one fellow in an alumni group who wore a baseball cap and casual shorts to dinner at the Terrace one night. Either some matr'd must have said something (or his spouse looked around) and every night thereafter, everything from his clothes to his grooming was a step or two up.

IMO, if you want more of the typical O vibe, it's probably better to avoid cruises of two weeks or less, particularly if all they're going to do is the Caribbean.

Oh Joy!! Our upcoming Mediterranean cruise has at least 3 Alumni groups, maybe if they are going that far all we have to worry about is being trounced at Trivia!

Oh Joy!! Our upcoming Mediterranean cruise has at least 3 Alumni groups, maybe if they are going that far all we have to worry about is being trounced at Trivia!

The cruise I mentioned earlier was a Med cruise. It's the duration more than the location though I am convinced that the shorter Miami to Miami ones that only go to the Walmart parking lot (i.e., Caribbean) attract a different demographic.

I find it sad when these conversations go from "what is the normal attire in the Specialties and GDR" to "what is the lowest level of dress one can wear and get past the Maitre De!"

It really isn't the same conversation. Some prefer the former discussion, to many prefer the latter!

• 2 weeks later...

"Nice shoes, closed toe".

Surely this does not mean the ladies. My most formal dress has beautiful floral high heeled sandals. I'm going to be cheesed if I'm required to cover my tootsies in closed toe heels! :confused:

dockers and a golf shirt....maybe a long sleeve dress shirt and a blazer.... nice shoes closed toe , dress in a manner you would feel comfortable in at a nice local restaurant . No tux, tails or 3 piece suit.....I mean you can but not many will...

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to be on the Riviera in December (fingers crossed plans don't change) for my birthday. Was wondering what to wear, until I realized there are no formal nights. So a nice dress, but nothing sparkling?

The last time we went on a cruise with formal nights, we packed so many clothes between my mom and me, I think the baggage handlers at the airport put a curse on us to not set foot on another ship for the rest of our lives. Thus the crossed fingers.

You can wear sparkly if you wish! But the emphasis is on casual ... I've seen sparkly tops for example! It's not something to obsess about ... The porters shouldn't be complaining about all your evening gowns since you won't be needing them ... This emphasis on casual does make packing a lot easier! You don't need as many shoes, either ...

Good luck.

Mura

I plan to be on the Riviera in December (fingers crossed plans don't change) for my birthday. Was wondering what to wear, until I realized there are no formal nights. So a nice dress, but nothing sparkling?

The last time we went on a cruise with formal nights, we packed so many clothes between my mom and me, I think the baggage handlers at the airport put a curse on us to not set foot on another ship for the rest of our lives. Thus the crossed fingers.

I saw wear what you like, if you want to bring a special dress for your birthday Do it!! I'm celebrating my birthday on Riviera in a couple weeks. I have a special dress to wear for dinner that night. I'm traveling in the summer so be have packed a few summer sun dresses with a light sweater if it's chilly at night. I'm planning with in the dress code but also bringing what I want to wear. So, at times I maybe more dressed up than others but that what I want so I'm not worried. I have a pair of sparkly flats for evening when my feet a tired and I don't want to wear my heals or wedges. Enjoy!!

As I understand it, Country Club Casual is very much an American dress code, and I don't really understand quite what it means.

We are used to a formal cruising experience and while I don't mind less formality - just for a change - most of my cruising wardrobe consists of long gowns or cocktail dresses.

Obviously I'll leave the gowns at home, but am I right in that I'm going to stand out in my cocktail dresses?

No! You will not stand out in cocktail dresses. You'll find 25-30% will be similarly dressed. A reasonable percentage of the ladies do get dressed up for cocktails, and Happy Hour, in Horizons before dinner, and then on to dinner. Perhaps in the Terrace you might stand out, but definitely not in the GDR or Specialties.

As I understand it, Country Club Casual is very much an American dress code, and I don't really understand quite what it means.

We are used to a formal cruising experience and while I don't mind less formality - just for a change - most of my cruising wardrobe consists of long gowns or cocktail dresses.

Obviously I'll leave the gowns at home, but am I right in that I'm going to stand out in my cocktail dresses?

I'm a guy and yet even I know that the basic "little black dress" works for women in most uncertain dressy situations.

Me neither.

I asked some time ago on a food forum I use, as it crops up as dress code for some American restaurants. The American contributors did their best to explain (and explain what a country club was). It seemed to vary greatly depending on the actual country club - varying from suit and tie to chinos & polo shirt. I came away little the wiser so I going to rely on "smart casual" - a definition which I understand (basically what I'd wear to any "nice" neighbourhood place anywhere in Europe).

Me neither.

I asked some time ago on a food forum I use, as it crops up as dress code for some American restaurants. The American contributors did their best to explain (and explain what a country club was). It seemed to vary greatly depending on the actual country club - varying from suit and tie to chinos & polo shirt. I came away little the wiser so I going to rely on "smart casual" - a definition which I understand (basically what I'd wear to any "nice" neighbourhood place anywhere in Europe).

Yes you've got it absolutely right - "smart casual" to we Brits is perfect.

I think sometimes the use of "country club casual" is taken literally as people define only by their own country club dress code if they belong to one - hence your experience of so many definitions.

Not sure about the U.K., but for we North Americans once you're signed up for an Oceania cruise you are forever in receipt of brochures from O. Those brochures contain pictures of guest cruisers properly/adequately attire. So , at the least, if one came packed and prepared, on their first cruise, to resemble those models, all would be fine. Then, after gaining first hand knowledge, while on the ship, minor tweaks can be made as appropriate. I'm guessing the British get the same onslaught of brochures. With that in mind, I cannot grasp why this discussion is so difficult and hard to figure out! Are some to dense, or are they just wanting to know " what is the minimum level of dress I can wear, and get past the Maitre de?". If first timers dress like the models for dinner they'll have no problems. A total No Brainer!

Pinotlover - ha ha yes we are in receipt of copious amounts of Oceania brochures in the UK too! And yes the "models" give one a good idea of dress code but I've yet to see any replica or anything close of said "models" on board! Most guests would have to go via Harley Street first!;p Myself included! :D

As far as I know we just don't have country clubs as in the definition of USA country clubs here in the UK so the term can be a mystery. I know if I asked some of my (UK) friends they would have no idea but would know instantly what was required with "smart casual"! In my own experience I never asked the question before our first cruise (Silversea) but I did read the guidelines and then wore what I thought was appropriate and packed what I thought was appropriate for the DH! However, in saying all this, everywhere is so much more casual than it was say even 10 years ago. We were quite surprised on a Seabourn cruise on just how casual the formal night dress code was to some (and yes I know it's formal optional).

Pinotlover - ha ha yes we are in receipt of copious amounts of Oceania brochures in the UK too! And yes the "models" give one a good idea of dress code but I've yet to see any replica or anything close of said "models" on board! Most guests would have to go via Harley Street first!;p Myself included! :D

As far as I know we just don't have country clubs as in the definition of USA country clubs here in the UK so the term can be a mystery. I know if I asked some of my (UK) friends they would have no idea but would know instantly what was required with "smart casual"! In my own experience I never asked the question before our first cruise (Silversea) but I did read the guidelines and then wore what I thought was appropriate and packed what I thought was appropriate for the DH! However, in saying all this, everywhere is so much more casual than it was say even 10 years ago. We were quite surprised on a Seabourn cruise on just how casual the formal night dress code was to some (and yes I know it's formal optional).

You may not have "country clubs" in Europe. But, you do have Yacht Clubs (and, I assume, golf clubs), many with restaurants -some of which have both casual (snack shack) and dressy (sit-down) dining venues. If you're a yachtie, let that YC dining room be your guide for dinner on O.