Predicament

AnnetteSC

We'll be sailing on the Azamara Quest on June 12, 2017. I joined the Roll Call and have been checking it daily (I've also been checking Azamara forum) since we're new to Azamara.

We booked late (5 weeks prior to departure date) but I've been extremely ill for the past 2 weeks, leaving me with only 3 weeks to plan everything!

I have done some research and read reviews for tour companies in Italy and Greece. I have Greece covered but I'm having a hard time with Italy. In fact, my roll call is very, very small (22 ppl I believe) and they are all set already with their tours.

I know CC has rules about keeping requests to join tours to roll call but how can you spread the word when roll call is almost non-existent?

There are only 3 of us in our party and, doing the tours privately would be extremely expensive for us. Our DD15 is really looking forward to seeing the famous sites in Italy but, at this point, I'm unsure we'll be able to do them.

How would you handle this situation if you were me?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

We'll be sailing on the Azamara Quest on June 12, 2017. I joined the Roll Call and have been checking it daily (I've also been checking Azamara forum) since we're new to Azamara.

We booked late (5 weeks prior to departure date) but I've been extremely ill for the past 2 weeks, leaving me with only 3 weeks to plan everything!

I have done some research and read reviews for tour companies in Italy and Greece. I have Greece covered but I'm having a hard time with Italy. In fact, my roll call is very, very small (22 ppl I believe) and they are all set already with their tours.

I know CC has rules about keeping requests to join tours to roll call but how can you spread the word when roll call is almost non-existent?

There are only 3 of us in our party and, doing the tours privately would be extremely expensive for us. Our DD15 is really looking forward to seeing the famous sites in Italy but, at this point, I'm unsure we'll be able to do them.

Bite the bullet and do the ships tours. They r expensive but they should be available. Another option would be to wait and c what is available when u disembark at the dock. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look at the boards for Italy under Ports of Call. Many times you will find some information there. Some tour companies have small tours that aren't horribly expensive for a small group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. You can do most of it on your own. From his website download free audio tours of Florence, Rome, Pompeii...And print out maps to go along. I'm sure Azamara will have a Florence on Your Own transfer, and the city center is very walkable. Take the train to Rome. Take the transfer to Pompeii. You don't have to see/do everything. Just plan on coming back. EM

Look at the boards for Italy under Ports of Call. Many times you will find some information there. Some tour companies have small tours that aren't horribly expensive for a small group.

Our experience is that tour companies charge by the size of the group, where ship tours charge for each individual. In most cases, our group of four was able to do a more comprehensive, customization tour that was cheaper than the total for four individual ship tours. You might find that for three on a private tour you might pay nearly the same as ship tours for three people. A private tour company might charge $100 for one person, $150 for two, and $200 for three. For them, guiding three people is not much more effort than just the one. The ship may charge $75 for each person, no matter how many in your group. The more people in your group, the more cost effective a private tour becomes.

AnnetteSC,

You are blessed to have very DIY-doable ports.

As Essiemom says, you can do a bit of research and see some of the best of the Med on your own.

Some port thoughts....

- Nice - walk around the Old Town and along the boardwalk; take a bus or taxi to Eze; or take the train to Monte Carlo (not my favorite place - too many condos, but many people think it has to be seen)

Livorno - take a train into Florence. As Essiemom recommends, look into the ship's transfer to the train station - taxis at Livorno don't like the trips to the train station because they want trips with larger fares.

Civitavecchia - walk or take a taxi or bus to the train station. There will usually be lots of fellow passengers doing the same thing. Go to San Pietro Station if you want to see St. Peter's Basilica first, go to Termini if you want to see the sites in the historic or ancient areas first.

Sorrento - a great place to explore or you can take a ferry over to Capri for the day.

Amalfi - explore Amalfi then take a ferry or taxi over to Positano.

Siracusa - I've just explored Ortigia, I'm not sure of other diy options.

Chania, just walk off the tender and explore/enjoy the town.

Santorini - take the water taxi over to Oia (try for one of the first available to beat the crowds), take the bus to Fira (included in the cost of the water taxi). Take the tram down the cliff. I've done this and I've walked down.....do not walk down....it's smelly, hot and tiring).

Athens - take a taxi directly to the Acropolis. There are cheaper options such as the bus or the metro but they take time - the later you arrive at the Acropolis,

the more crowded and the longer the line to get tickets.

There are many other great ways to DIY the Med. The above are just things my family and I have enjoyed.

Have an awesome time and be sure to spend the money you would have spent on excursions buying lots of gelato.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't rely on tours just being available when you get off the ship. The Med is not like the Caribbean in this respect. As you have been ill, I think DIY is a good idea. Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive and csn be tiring. If you're doing things on your own, you can just end your sightseeing any time you feel like it and return to the ship.

A miracle just happened!! Another party of two is interested in joining our tours and, even though it's only two more people, the price drop is substantial! I was able to book three tours with Italytoursharing (Joe Banana limo) despite the last minute crunch!!!

I'm SOOOOOOOO happy!!!!! :)

Thanks again for all the great tips!!

Buy Rick Steve's guide book. Get a cab and go see the sites yourself. In most cities, especially in Greece and Italy there is no need for a tour.

There is nothing wrong with ship's tours. Sure, they might be a bit more costly, but they are totally "fool-proof"....all you do is show up when and where they tell you, and they take it from there!

But, if you are ok with doing things on your own, a guidebook is your best resource...