HELP! Cruising planning, FL

ozzienurse

Hello CC,

Me and HH are looking at taking a cruise as a part of a belated honeymoon from Fl in last sep-early Oct 2017. We have both cruised before with mixed response. But HH is keen to try again and I with a bit of planing and hindsight are happy to give it another go. We're looking at week max.

What is the best port to leave from port Carnaval or maimi? Is there a good website to get the best deal? Why is Carnavial cruises soooo much cheaper what's wrong with them?

A bit about us so you can help

Were early 30's me a non drinker and HH is a occasion beer but always great coffee( but at cost on board he would choose coffee)

Both love movies and theatre

I love GOOD music 50-2000 and rock n roll dance badly a little

Both enjoy food

Were not party all night sleep all day type people. but also happy to amuse our selfs a bit

Not big on sea day ( that me, I'm first cruise had WAY to many) but looking forward to ports

We would like a good deal so we can oceanview or maybe splurge and balcony if possible

All HELP very very welcome

Thanks again :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Sounds like you might benefit from the help of a travel agent who is experienced with Caribbean cruising.

If you check on line yourself you need to consider Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) in addition to Miami and Port Canaveral.

Also, if you explain what you liked/disliked on your previous cruise experience perhaps that would explain more.

The type of ship you choose will also make a difference. Personally I think Royal Caribbean, especially their biggest ships like Oasis or Allure, or the Freedom/Voyageur class of ships, have the best entertainment.

Let me see if I can help you. Carnival is usually cheaper, but still a good cruise--especially if you book on one of the newer ships. I've cruised Carnival many times, and enjoyed every cruise. I am not familiar with Port Canaveral, but do know that you have to fly into Orlando, and then it's a 45-60 minute ride to port. Not for me. Personally, I'd choose Miami. I have a cruise this January out of Miami, and plan to stay the night before in South Beach. That's another important point for less stress--if flying in, fly in the day before--never the day of cruise. Too much can go wrong to keep you from meeting your ship in time.

You both might prefer the atmosphere of a Royal Caribbean ship or a Norwegian cruise. Carnival does often have a more party crowd. Both Royal and Norwegian often have Broadway shows and great music, along with comedy shows. If not alcohol drinkers--no problem. You can find specialty coffees on both. Once again, I would advise to look for a newer ship in their lines. Check Cruise Critic reviews on any ship you're interested in. And feel free to ask any other questions here. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want to have a DANCE cruise...look at Carnival Conquest....there is a "theme' cruise with beach music bands...it will be an AWESOME time! Jan 29 from Ft. Laud.....you will need to book thru the "group" travel agency...I can't name it on this site...but if you Google "beach music with the Embers", I bet it will tell you!

Hello CC,

Me and HH are looking at taking a cruise as a part of a belated honeymoon from Fl in last sep-early Oct 2017. We have both cruised before with mixed response. But HH is keen to try again and I with a bit of planing and hindsight are happy to give it another go. We're looking at week max.

What is the best port to leave from port Carnaval or maimi? Is there a good website to get the best deal? Why is Carnavial cruises soooo much cheaper what's wrong with them?

A bit about us so you can help

Were early 30's me a non drinker and HH is a occasion beer but always great coffee( but at cost on board he would choose coffee)

Both love movies and theatre

I love GOOD music 50-2000 and rock n roll dance badly a little

Both enjoy food

Were not party all night sleep all day type people. but also happy to amuse our selfs a bit

Not big on sea day ( that me, I'm first cruise had WAY to many) but looking forward to ports

We would like a good deal so we can oceanview or maybe splurge and balcony if possible

All HELP very very welcome

Thanks again :D

Personally, I'd concentrate on finding the itinerary you want more than which port you depart from. One thing I've noticed is that the cheaper the cruise, the more sea days there are. DW and I aren't big on sea days so we look for itineraries with one or two sea days max, and if it is two ideally they won't be back to back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Are your vacation dates fixed? September and October are prime hurricane months in the Caribbean. It's not as though a hurricane will be guaranteed during your week at sea, but the probability is much higher.

Per above ^^

Cruises are much less expensive in Sept/Oct because it's hurricane/tropical storm time. Some cruise lines don't even do Caribbean cruises in that time frame.

You might want to consider RCCL or a newer ship on Carnival.

Look for a port intensive itinerary.

Edited by OCruisers

Thanks every one who replied so far I try and answer some of the questions,

Yes we know it wet season in FL, it one of the reason we're going as I'm a huge Disney addict and we're going with the parks will be least crowed.

I will add that 3rd stop to my looking list I don't know the port in FL so any help welcome.

We are also having a travel agent look but aware some of the best deal are direct.

We'all be doing the cruise at the end of visiting some loved ones in KY,TN so al long as we can work out a way to get the port were good.

The reason I didn't love cruising so much last time mostly I think was user error on my behalf, it was a VERY long cruise for a 1st cruise 18 nights, there were WAY to many sea days in a row 6-7 i think. The activities onboard went not to my taste ( big older crowd based) and if I try to read by the pool in the shade I kept getting bother by some one trying to sell me a "Lubby Dubby" I know cocktails is how they make there money but I could have told him where to stick his lubby dubby" I was also traveling with a couple of friends and we were all a bit over each other by the end and doing our own thing.

I would love a rock n roll cruise my hubby would not! And as I got WDW this is for him,

Definitely add a Fort Lauderdale to your list of ports; many options and often preferred to Miami.

Disney is busy year round. Hurricanes can occur from June to October. I would not let the weather influence your choice.

As you are visiting friends/family in the US would suggest asking their advice/recommendations too.

Wow - 18 days at sea is some introduction to cruising!! Glad you are willing to try it again. If you are looking for a ship with an exciting, "Vegas" type vibe (with that level of entertainment ) look at NCL Epic - fantastic talent - and the piano bar after midnight gets deliciously raunchy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Wow - 18 days at sea is some introduction to cruising!! Glad you are willing to try it again. If you are looking for a ship with an exciting, "Vegas" type vibe (with that level of entertainment ) look at NCL Epic - fantastic talent - and the piano bar after midnight gets deliciously raunchy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I don't know how I feel about a raunchy piano bar, I'm more of a Disney addict G rated type :) but do they sale from FL

You might enjoy the entertainment on Royal Caribbean, especially the mega ships such as the Oasis or Allure. Along with the usual piano bar type stuff there are also Broadway type musicals, such as Hairspray, Cats, Chicago; aerial shows; ice skating shows; Aqua theater with high diving, water ballet; along with general shows with comedians, illusionists, ventriloquists. Mega ships also have an adult only comedy club.

The mega ships sail from Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral.

What is the best port to leave from port Carnaval or maimi?

Miami has more options but Orlando has more cool stuff to do. You said you like Disney so I'd suggest Orlando and see if you can squeeze in a Disney park before and/or after. It's what I did last year, we did EPCOT after sailing on the Carnival Sunshine. Good times.

Why is Carnavial cruises soooo much cheaper what's wrong with them?

I've always sailed with Carnival and never had a serious issue beyond a luggage delay and some bad service at the spa but that's like 2 issues in 12 sailings. I think they're cheaper because they have like 25 ships unlike Disney for example that only has 4.

I noticed most people recommend the newer ships on carnival which are these

The newest and biggest is the Carnival Vista.

Next down are the Dream Class which include the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Dream.