Just back from my Uniworld river cruise

PNFL

Just got back from my Uniworld river cruise on the River Princess we went on the Delightful Danube and Prague cruise. If anyone has any questions let me know. I did not find to much information on this cruise before I left so if you have questions please let me know. I will let you know that you will love this cruies.

I've only done one river cruise, and it was on Uniworld. I loved it. What were your impressions of the boat, crew, service, food, tours, etc.? Am booked on another with Uniworld for next year.

Roz

I think the ship was one of the oldest ones of their fleet but it was still very nice. The crew and service were outstanding. The food was good just not as good as I was expecting but I really have not complaints about it. The best meal I had was the beef tenderloin and I don't think I had a bad meal. They also had a night of alfresco dining and it was held on the sun deck and only 20 people could attend and it was wonderful. The tours were very good and they had different ones for your active style but even the go active ones where not hard. All in all I thought it was very good and would differently do one again with Uniworld.

Thank you for your thoughts. I cruised in November, so it was too cold/dark for alfresco dining. Sounds wonderful, and maybe it will be a possibility on next year's cruise. I also remember the beef tenderloin being very good at dinner, as was the lamb (and I'm not a big lamb fan).

Roz

I am going on this cruise in two weeks. I am concerned about packing for the weather. I live in Palm Desert where the temperatures have been anywhere from 100 degrees to 113 degrees. I know you you were there in August but did the weather change from Budapest to Prague?

Thank you,

Lila

did the weather change from Budapest to Prague?

Thank you,

Lila

Lila,

The weather changes from day to day. There is no specific difference between the two cities. Be prepared from t-shirt over cardigan to rain jacket. In July, we had warm weather in the Baltic while it was cold and rainy in Central Europe at the exact same time. The weather then warmed up for our visit to Berlin and Prague, but nothing like 100+, more like in the 80s. Then a heavy rain storm and the temperature dropped to the 70s.

While we are back home again, friends in Germany wrote they thought about heating the house, it felt so cold. It has warmed up again in the meantime.

Edited by Floridiana

We were very lucky with the weather. Budapest was warm but the first few days on ship were cool especially sitting out on the sun deck. People were wrapped up in blankets sitting on the sun deck but then the weather changed and it was beautiful. I did not find too much difference between the weather in Budapest and Prague. My only regret was I wish we had spent an extra day in Prague one day was not enough. Enjoy your cruise.

We're doing Uniworld ship Beatrice from Budapest to Passau on 10/9 with 4 days in Prague at end (10/16-20). First cruise and wondering about included excursions vs. optional ones? Would you recommend booking now private (6 people) tours in Prague or should we wait until we get there? Of course, packing for weather is always a concern. Finally, what to wear at dinners on ship? Thanks, NCnovicecruiser.

Hi,

Can you tell me how long the excursions last on average? I don't see the actual time posted on the Uniworld website. When will I find out when the excursions will begin and end? Thanks.

Download the Cruise Companion. Lots of great info there.

and the weather was glorious..at least for the most part. May have cooler mornings but the leaves changing made the Danube just awash with colors!

A great time to travel for us...lest tourists and usually nice weather...have some pics on my website.

Rick

While it is true that the Cruise Companion lists approximate duarions it doesn't give times. However, unless the itinerary specifically mentions an evening in port don't expect it. Certainly where there are lots of locks your appointment for the lock determines the time in port.

We cruised on board River Beatrice this April. Great trip.

I did a review / trip log which has a link to the daily programs. These daily programs will give precise times for all of the tours. Subject to change, of course...and if you're going in the other direction, all bets are off.

This link might work... (can't tell from the app) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7-MF_WeC07jMUdQOVNtMFJJbU0

Edited by jpalbny

We're doing Uniworld ship Beatrice from Budapest to Passau on 10/9 with 4 days in Prague at end (10/16-20). First cruise and wondering about included excursions vs. optional ones? Would you recommend booking now private (6 people) tours in Prague or should we wait until we get there? Of course, packing for weather is always a concern. Finally, what to wear at dinners on ship? Thanks, NCnovicecruiser.

We only did one day in Prague and I really wish we had an extra day in Prague. We did two extra days in Budapest and I booked a private tour before we left so I would ask on the boards for recommendations for a tour. I found my person in Rick Steve's book and the tour was great. I would recommend setting up a tour before you go one less thing to worry about.

At dinner you will find that it is very casual just no shorts. On the welcome dinner my husband wore a suit coat and tie and I think on the farewell he would just a suit coat. I would black pants and a nice top and then on the farewell dinner I would a black dress nothing very dressy.

Have a wonderful cruise you are going to love it.

We only did one day in Prague and I really wish we had an extra day in Prague. We did two extra days in Budapest and I booked a private tour before we left so I would ask on the boards for recommendations for a tour. I found my person in Rick Steve's book and the tour was great. I would recommend setting up a tour before you go one less thing to worry about.

At dinner you will find that it is very casual just no shorts. On the welcome dinner my husband wore a suit coat and tie and I think on the farewell he would just a suit coat. I would black pants and a nice top and then on the farewell dinner I would a black dress nothing very dressy.

Have a wonderful cruise you are going to love it.

Forgot to say that we only did one optional excursion that we had to pay extra for and that was in Vienna and we went to an Abbey for a concert it was very nice. Definitely attend the briefing when they talk about the excursions because there are some that they limit the amount of people that can go on the excursion. So some you have to sign up for because they are limited.

Hi,

Can you tell me how long the excursions last on average? I don't see the actual time posted on the Uniworld website. When will I find out when the excursions will begin and end? Thanks.

Most of the excursions were about three hours. I don't think they can post times because the times might change depending on the river levels. I will say that I did feel there was not enough time to explore on your own after the excursion. That is one big difference between ocean and river cruise nothing is posted about the times until you get on the cruise.

Note that PNFL stated that no shorts were allowed on her Uniworld cruise. This is the same as every other Uniworld cruiser has posted except cavairgirl, who claims that not only were shorts worn, but tatty shorts on her cruise! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Glad you had a great time on this cruise. Our next Uniworld Danube cruise will be Budapest to Bucharest, with a pre trip to Prague. Next up though is Uniworld Egypt in February. Can't wait!

Note that PNFL stated that no shorts were allowed on her Uniworld cruise. This is the same as every other Uniworld cruiser has posted except cavairgirl, who claims that not only were shorts worn, but tatty shorts on her cruise! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

That certainly sounds like you are attempting to discredit my posts about my personal experience on Uniworld, since it apparently does not agree with yours and some of the other posters here. It is not a "claim", it is a fact that multiple guests wore shorts (including jean shorts) on the SS Catherine on our cruise.

You can roll your eyes all you want to, as I am reporting the facts as we experienced them. And the outfits I saw had me rolling my eyes and shaking my head as well.:rolleyes:

Edited by caviargal

That certainly sounds like you are attempting to discredit my posts about my personal experience on Uniworld, since it apparently does not agree with yours and some of the other posters here. It is not a "claim", it is a fact that multiple guests wore shorts (including jean shorts) on the SS Catherine on our cruise.

You can roll your eyes all you want to, as I am reporting the facts as we experienced them. And the outfits I saw had me rolling my eyes and shaking my head as well.:rolleyes:

My guess is that the extreme heat that France was enduring on your cruise caused both Uniworld and some of its guest to be a little more lax. From my two Uniworld cruises shorts weren't in the dining room for dinner(especially the Christmas cruise-ha) but I imagine when it's over 100 degrees things are quite different. Thanks Caviargal for all your input

We did not have hot weather on our Uniworld cruises, but saw shorts at breakfast and lunch. In fact, DH often wears them, weather permitting.

I'm sorry, I thought the discussion was about shorts at dinner. Yes shorts were the norm for breakfast and lunch during the summer due to that was the normal dress for excursions.

I'm sorry, I thought the discussion was about shorts at dinner. Yes shorts were the norm for breakfast and lunch during the summer due to that was the normal dress for excursions.

Shorts were the norm in the daytime on most warm weather cruises I have taken.