Table Mates: The Good, The Bad and the Meh..

BeckinTx

Just be careful if someone has a problem with bloody rare meat: DW is a vegetarian (I am not. We have worked out a working relationship with food and cooking.) She doesn't proselytize, she feels everyone can make up their own mind. She is also a medical professional, and had long service as a big-city paramedic. She worked in mortuary sciences during college. She also served several tours with a medical relief agency in combat zones. If someone makes a point of showing off just how rare their meat is, or complains that it isn't bloody enough, or starts to preach and lecture on the meat bandwagon, DW might be inspired to relate to them some of the reasons from her experiences that she is averse to seeing things like that on a dinnerplate. Usually, she has respect for the feelings of the normal, non-offensive, non-vegetarian parties at the table, but, if pressed beyond her limit (two polite warnings), she can relate some of her "war stories" that can make one lose one's lunch, dinner, and last Tuesday's breakfast.:eek:

Just shows you where your dinner conversation might lead....

I worked with someone whose daughter was a mortician in Kingman Arizona where it gets quite hot in the summer. A lot of people live in mobile homes, can not afford to pay for AC, are older, and occasionally die and are not discovered for a significant period of time.

It would be a hoot to be with your wife and her to be at the same table when they are sharing war stories. My coworker told us some stories without going into details that were quite gross.

DON

Just be careful if someone has a problem with bloody rare meat: DW is a vegetarian (I am not. We have worked out a working relationship with food and cooking.) She doesn't proselytize, she feels everyone can make up their own mind. She is also a medical professional, and had long service as a big-city paramedic. She worked in mortuary sciences during college. She also served several tours with a medical relief agency in combat zones. If someone makes a point of showing off just how rare their meat is, or complains that it isn't bloody enough, or starts to preach and lecture on the meat bandwagon, DW might be inspired to relate to them some of the reasons from her experiences that she is averse to seeing things like that on a dinnerplate. Usually, she has respect for the feelings of the normal, non-offensive, non-vegetarian parties at the table, but, if pressed beyond her limit (two polite warnings), she can relate some of her "war stories" that can make one lose one's lunch, dinner, and last Tuesday's breakfast.:eek:

Just shows you where your dinner conversation might lead....

Wow!! She must be a barrel of laughs!!

Wow!! She must be a barrel of laughs!!

Actually, she is! She's well-traveled, well-read, speaks several languages, can converse knowledgeably about medicine, history (from Ancient Egypt to Current Events), military history (she knows what a "lanista" is and on one occasion had a nuts-and-bolts discussion with several WW2 tech-geeks of the advantages of the Soviet T=34 tank from WW2), several non-western cultures, non-western cooking, fabrics and fashion throughout history, jewelry and gemstones, classical art history, architecture (Victorian era is her favorite), maneuvering through the American medical insurance maze, comparative religions, equestrian sport and horse maintenance--and can do so with style, aplomb, and grace. She just has the ammunition to blow people out of the water when necessary--also with style, aplomb, and grace.;)

_I_ am the rude, offensive, often-manner-free lout she chose to share her life with.:confused: Oh, well, love is blind, deaf, dumb, and lacking a bit of sense of touch.

I worked with someone whose daughter was a mortician in Kingman Arizona where it gets quite hot in the summer. A lot of people live in mobile homes, can not afford to pay for AC, are older, and occasionally die and are not discovered for a significant period of time.

It would be a hoot to be with your wife and her to be at the same table when they are sharing war stories. My coworker told us some stories without going into details that were quite gross.

DON

It's dangerous to hang out with Emergency Medical folks; when they start to tell their warstories, people will either get grossed out and run, or they hang around and hear just how outrageous human beings can be. I hung out with DW when some of her EMS buddies from Nyack EMS were trading stories. I was inspired to become an EMT. EMTs and Paramedics never retire: we just go to a state of "Recovering".

A year or two later, after I'd had some practical street experience, DW and I were at a friend's house for lunch; our friend had an acquaintence there too, who was trying to gross us out with unpleasant-sounding stories as we enjoyed our delicious subs from a famous local shop (which we had been eager to try for a long time). DW and I exchanged glances, then started "remembering" some of the less-than-pleasant patient experiences we'd had. We never missed a bite, except to relate the stories. The acquaintance started turning green, so we offered him some of our subs--mine with lovely cappicola and salami and olive oil and onions... He got greener still. Poor boy. He quickly found a new, less-nauseating topic to discuss. :p

I dont get all the vegan hating, theres a complete difference between vegans and people who need to lecture others (whatever they eat).

2 of my friends are vegans and one is very quiet and just likes to listen and the other turns up with delicious vegan cakes (no idea how they are made) and loves to talk about all things (esp her crafts and art). The second friend once went to a wedding where one of guests at her table lectured her about her lack of protein/bizarre diet and was generally rude.

Dont group everyone the same because of their dietary choices.

I would be happy to be seated with vegans, any day over extreme over-eaters. I am not a vegan but I don't eat red meat or pork. I am small in size and a lighter healthier, eater though (and I say healthi-er bc on vacation I splurge some compared to how I eat at home). Extreme over-eating disgusts me, so being seated with people who order everything on the menu and stuff it in, "just because they can" would make me not want to eat at all. Don't get me wrong, I am not rude and would never be rude to someone seated at my table, nor would I lecture anyone about my healthy eating choices, but I probably would ask for re-assignment bc extreme overeating (not just normal vacation over-eating) truly disgusts me.

On my last Carnival cruise I was with a group of girlfriends there were 4 of us, we got seated with another group of 3 girlfriends only slightly older than us, and one single guy traveler. Odd! But they were all awesome, and the single guy upon being seated said he wondered what he did to be so lucky to be seated at a table with all beautiful young ladies. They were all great and we all hung out several times on the cruise and kept in touch!

Going on another cruise this Thursday, with my gf, excited to hopefully make friends again.

We prefer 2 tops. However once were assigned to a 4 top. We were already seated when the other couple arrived. The husband tried to be pleasant at least he greeted us, however the wife was awful. She kept the menu the entire meal in front of her, whispering to her husband from behind it. Never looked at us or spoke to us.

The only words audible from her, from behind her menu screen, were when they discussed ordering wine, she was vocal about not sharing with us.

We ate as fast as possible and stopped at the maitre d for an immediate reassignment. I pity her family.

A few years ago my wife and I were assigned to a table for six. When we approached one of the men muttered something about they thought they would be alone as a group and should they move. We sat down but didn't say anything. Turns out the two women were sisters and one was terminally ill. She wasn't expected to live more than a few months. This cruise was to be her last hurrah. We ended up having a great time. Instead of a morose time they ended up laughing a lot. We went to shows together, drinks before dinner etc. We got a card from the husband six weeks later that his wife had passed away. We like to think we played a small role in making her last few weeks a pleasant one.

We have always had tablemates and there is only once that we had a tablemate that we did not care for. Her husband was great but because she was a big shot at some bank she felt everyone else was below her status and she was rude to us at the table and especially the wait staff.

We also had some tablemates on a Panama Canal cruise that we have become great friends with and have visited them many times. Unfortunately one of them passed away a couple years ago but we stay in contact with the rest of them.

Overall having tablemates has been a very positive experience and we have made some nice friends. Some we stay in contact with some we do not stay in touch with but we had a good time meeting them.

Our next cruise is in January. After many years of late dining we wanted to try early but was full. We had to take anytime dining which required a prepayment of gratuities which was not a problem. After meeting so many wonderful people over the years, particularly on the 12 and 14 night cruises we are concerned that my wife and I would end up eating alone. After 45 years of marriage we don't need to be alone at dinner; we much more enjoy the company of a group. What has been your experience in this regard with select dining?

Our next cruise is in January. After many years of late dining we wanted to try early but was full. We had to take anytime dining which required a prepayment of gratuities which was not a problem. After meeting so many wonderful people over the years, particularly on the 12 and 14 night cruises we are concerned that my wife and I would end up eating alone. After 45 years of marriage we don't need to be alone at dinner; we much more enjoy the company of a group. What has been your experience in this regard with select dining?

Ask for a shared table. Rarely have we had 'duds' as most in this situation want to share. We have had to wait a few minutes for our orders to be taken if we're first to the table.

A few years ago my wife and I were assigned to a table for six. When we approached one of the men muttered something about they thought they would be alone as a group and should they move. We sat down but didn't say anything. Turns out the two women were sisters and one was terminally ill. She wasn't expected to live more than a few months. This cruise was to be her last hurrah. We ended up having a great time. Instead of a morose time they ended up laughing a lot. We went to shows together, drinks before dinner etc. We got a card from the husband six weeks later that his wife had passed away. We like to think we played a small role in making her last few weeks a pleasant one.

This made me cry. Thanks for sharing, I'm certain you played a big file in making her final days happy ones.

On our last (and first) cruise, we sat with a terrific couple from Georgia. They were so much fun and funny - dinner was always enjoyable. They have invited everyone whom they have met on cruises to join them in spring 2016.

We are going on a cruise in October and hope we have the same experience - especially as the cruise is 2 weeks long. However, I will ask for a change if we are not a good fit.

You will never know how much you added to her moments of forgetting her situation.....what a gift you contributed to that soul:)

Changing the subject ever so slightly:

On our previous two cruises, we were at a table for eight and we had such a wonderful time meeting new people from all parts of the United States. Each evening, we would meet at Dinner and share stories from our day. We ended up exchanging email addresses for the future!

On our last cruise, we were at a table for six. One of the guests was an experienced cruiser and each evening, after he was seated, proceeded to monopolize the conversation by telling us the perks of being in a suite, and by telling us how many free drinks he had managed to have each day (and how he obtained them). We endured two nights of being polite to him, and trying to accommodate his neediness. The other tablemates tried to have him become part of the group, but it was very difficult. The second night he stopped talking for a second, looked at my husband and asked, " And what was the highlight of your day.....or did you have one?" My husband smiled and said, "I am sorry, I did not hear you." The OP then continued on relating stories of 'free drinks'. Later we asked to be changed to another table. Both my husband and I were coming to the cruise from difficult and demanding jobs and we needed to relax. We decided we were not going to let this OP interfere with our holiday.

This gentleman was a very difficult person to be with as he needed to monopolize the conversation with his daily cruise experiences. I hope he finds some happiness somewhere as it certainly was not at our table!

My best tablemate story goes back a ways.....long before the days of Anytime/MyTime Dining.

This was on Majesty of the Seas in 1992, to be exact. Two of my sisters and I, all single and in our 20's at the time, show up at our table to be seated with three young men, also all single and in their 20's, and all from the same home state as us. We hit it off so well that all six of us basically spent the entire cruise together, shore excursions and all. By the end of the cruise, one of those young men asked me out.

That young man and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this fall. :D

My best tablemate story goes back a ways.....long before the days of Anytime/MyTime Dining.

This was on Majesty of the Seas in 1992, to be exact. Two of my sisters and I, all single and in our 20's at the time, show up at our table to be seated with three young men, also all single and in their 20's, and all from the same home state as us. We hit it off so well that all six of us basically spent the entire cruise together, shore excursions and all. By the end of the cruise, one of those young men asked me out.

That young man and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this fall. :D

Oh I love this story♡

Sweet.

Celebrating with a cruise?

Your story tugs at my heartstrings!

Edited by WiseChoices

I have a story that was more awkward than anything.

I was on my first solo cruise on the Allure of the Seas and had requested a large table. I made the mistake of not checking out my table on boarding. I got to dinner the first night and found out they assigned me to a table for 4. Then my tablemates showed up... A group of 3 friends whom were all first-time cruisers and had a moderate language barrier. They mentioned that they were under the impression that it was buffet dining. I explained that there were numerous dining venues including the Windjammer, and they mentioned that they would likely be eating there for the remainder of the cruise. And that's exactly what they did - I never saw them again! So for the remaining nights that I did eat in the MDR (4 total), I ate alone. Including formal night.

While RCI should have planned their table assignments better, I have nobody to blame but myself. Each night I sat there feeling awkward and sorry for myself, hoping that one of the crew members would notice that I was alone and move me. Had I been more proactive in asking to be moved, it would have been a better experience!

Lesson learned - my next solo cruise on the Celebrity Summit, I headed straight to the MDR on boarding, only to find out that I wasn't even assigned a table! The head waiter sat down with me and found me a fabulous table of 10 solo travelers! I was in my mid-20's and despite being the youngest at the table, I had a fantastic time at dinner each night and felt like I was on the cruise with a group of friends!

And now... The more awkward? My parents and I decided to have lunch in the MDR one day on the Explorer and shared a table for a change. We ended up with a man and his adult son. Sounds like a good match right? Wrong! The son ended up following me for the remainder of the cruise (a 10-nighter! [emoji33]). He would mysteriously appear everywhere I was - the pool, the cafe, the shops, etc! It got to the point where I would duck and run in the opposite direction when I saw him. Finally by the pool one day, he came to talk to my mom and I - my mom said something to him about my "boyfriend" having e-mailed us to tell us how bad the weather was at home. The boyfriend was actually non-existent, but it did the trick and I never saw him again!

And now... The more awkward? My parents and I decided to have lunch in the MDR one day on the Explorer and shared a table for a change. We ended up with a man and his adult son. Sounds like a good match right? Wrong! The son ended up following me for the remainder of the cruise (a 10-nighter! [emoji33]). He would mysteriously appear everywhere I was - the pool, the cafe, the shops, etc! It got to the point where I would duck and run in the opposite direction when I saw him. Finally by the pool one day, he came to talk to my mom and I - my mom said something to him about my "boyfriend" having e-mailed us to tell us how bad the weather was at home. The boyfriend was actually non-existent, but it did the trick and I never saw him again!

that's a bit creepy...

Hi,

I would love to hear your stories about different people you have met through your dining assignments, please share, I know there are some great stories out there!

My husband and I cruised around Australia and New Zealand 33 days and we made the best of friends with six couples not so much in the formal dining but the Horizon Dining we use to meet for lunch and dinner each night we still keep in touch on facebook , sadly my husband passed this year but two of the couples visited im in pallative care and one couple came to his funeral I find when you make friends with people on cruises they stay friends for life the last cruise I had was 2012 I hoping maybe in the future I may meet someone who likes this kind of holiday anyway enjoy your cruising experience be friendly and everyone reciprocates good luck

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

[quote name='Newbcruiser1;47014017

And now... The more awkward? My parents and I decided to have lunch in the MDR one day on the Explorer and shared a table for a change. We ended up with a man and his adult son. Sounds like a good match right? Wrong! The son ended up following me for the remainder of the cruise (a 10-nighter! [emoji33]). He would mysteriously appear everywhere I was - the pool' date=' the cafe, the shops, etc! It got to the point where I would duck and run in the opposite direction when I saw him. Finally by the pool one day, he came to talk to my mom and I - my mom said something to him about my "boyfriend" having e-mailed us to tell us how bad the weather was at home. The boyfriend was actually non-existent, but it did the trick and I never saw him again![/quote']

Did you discuss the problem with ship security. I am sure that they know how to deal with stalkers on board the ship and would have had a quiet discussion w the boy and his father.

DON