Ocean view more expensive then balcony

janecambridge

Forgive me if this sounds stupid,but why is an oceanview cabin more expensive then a balcony on a transatlantic in January?

Is it just because of popularity?

Thanks..

Who has given you the information re pricing , Cunard direct or your Travel/Cruise Agent ?

It doesn't sound correct to me , Balcony Cabins are a higher category than Ocean View. Take another quote and come back to us and let us know, maybe there is something I/we've not been aware of.

:)

I think this anomaly comes down to the fact that ocean view cabins are very rare on some ships so they sell out fast at just above "inside rates". When the supply gets very low on this cabin type a cruise line increases the price by quite a lot. This means if you really want one you can get one at a premium. If you compare the price to a balcony, it looks as though there is an absolute bonanza balcony sales campaign afoot which you cannot miss. So book now!!!

Just a marketing strategy in my opinion. A few year's back I saw a Queen Victoria, January; last sector of a world cruise? (New York to Southampton) with one agent at £500.00 pp for a balcony including flights! Most agents were dearer though.

Regards John

It is direct with Cunard online.

Just checked again and now ocean view and balcony are same price.Both with free flights,although I am thinking maybe price will come down after the offer of free flights ends..

Do you think that is possible?

Forgive me if this sounds stupid,but why is an oceanview cabin more expensive then a balcony on a transatlantic in January?

Is it just because of popularity?

Thanks..

Fares are a minefield. On Cunard website as I see it at the moment for QM2 on 10th Jan to NY, Ocean view and Balcony (Saver Fare) are the same price and I suppose these will be "Guarantees" so you never know where you may end up. For some an Oceanview is preferable to a balcony on a January TA - there are also some good deals with stays in NY from one TA at the moment on the same route and I saw PG at half price some weeks ago.

It confirms that you need to do some searching but you never know when is the best time to actually book.

Of late (the past year) Cunard has gone bonkers with various fare offers. Worse than a discount rug merchant and twice as confusing. Wish we were back in the day of standard fares so one could book when ready to book and know what the fare would be. Now you may not be ready to book until Saturday but the best fare shows up on Friday between 6 and 8 pm. Not what a first class outfit should be doing in my opinion.

Cunard and all Carnival brands use a booking system called POLAR. It's built with algorithms that adjust pricing on booking demand. If a category isn't selling well the price might trend down while one that is popular might go up. Some here have reported pricing changes during the same browsing session. The goal is to maximize revenue on every sailing.

One can see these anomalies because it's impossible to predict which category will be popular on a particular sailing. Last October I followed by sailing to Canada where at one point a Britannia balcony was going for more than a P1 and the lowest inside more than a balcony.

Edited by BlueRiband

These anomalies occasionally occur with other transportation providers. I recently noticed a Holland America Alaska cruise with a Neptune Suite (similar to Queen's Grill but without a restaurant) was selling for less than a basic balcony stateroom. I have also seen an Air Canada Business Class flight cheaper than economy. The same occasionally occurs with VIA Rail Canada.

I wish I could check ours on the Cunard site....but believe it or not, they do not list my sailing. We are doing a 7 day Westbound Transatlantic on May 10th. They only list the 14 day sailing that is Westbound and then immediately Eastbound for that date. :eek:

I wish I could check ours on the Cunard site....but believe it or not, they do not list my sailing. We are doing a 7 day Westbound Transatlantic on May 10th. They only list the 14 day sailing that is Westbound and then immediately Eastbound for that date. :eek:

M604 prices currently showing as below on the UK site.

Inside

From £1,299

Oceanview

From £1,559

Balcony

From £1,539

Club Balcony

From £2,029

Princess Grill

From £3,049

Queens Grill

From £3,799

M604 prices currently showing as below on the UK site.

Inside

From £1,299

Oceanview

From £1,559

Balcony

From £1,539

Club Balcony

From £2,029

Princess Grill

From £3,049

Queens Grill

From £3,799

Thank you for sharing. Is that per person? :eek:

I was finally able to find our sailing by putting in the Voyage number. On the US site the lowest Ocean view is $1199 and Balcony $1299. So Balcony is still higher, but not by much. The cheaper balconies are on deck 8 and obstructed view.

The UK site lists fares which include a one way flight where as the US site lists fares for the voyage only - so it's difficult to calculate the GBP/USD equivalents. The UK also has a three tiered Cunard/Early Saver/Saver fare structure where the later two are considered promotional and have restrictions.

The UK site lists fares which include a one way flight where as the US site lists fares for the voyage only - so it's difficult to calculate the GBP/USD equivalents. The UK also has a three tiered Cunard/Early Saver/Saver fare structure where the later two are considered promotional and have restrictions.

There's only two fare structures in the UK; Cunard and Early Saver.

But, as you say, the price will include the flights, and also all taxes (VAT and port taxes) which I think are added on afterwards in the US.

There are often also Saver fares, more restrictions and available near to Sailing date on some cruises.

Having said that there are Savers available on some Mediterranean October sailings.

Edited by Host Hattie

But, as you say, the price will include the flights, and also all taxes (VAT and port taxes) which I think are added on afterwards in the US.

We have booked our next voyage under the Saver scheme, not Early Saver.

Yes, there are three fare structures. Cunard Fare, Early Saver and Saver.

The Cunard Fare

The Cunard Fare offers flexibility, value and peace of mind. For cruises of seven nights or more, you can choose from one of the following complimentary benefits:

On board spending money

or, car parking in Southampton

or, return coach travel to Southampton

or, airport parking on selected Fly-Cruises or, regional flights or, hotel stays

These benefits are subject to availability and are per booking, not per person.

With our Cunard Fare prices shuttle buses will be offered free of charge in ports where they are provided by Cunard Line.

By booking the Cunard Fare on any cruise, you will also be able to choose your precise stateroom type, location and number, including three and four berth staterooms.

Passengers in Britannia Staterooms have a choice of Early or Late Seating for dinner.

With the Cunard Fare, you can make amendments or even change your cruise entirely up to 90 days prior to departure, subject to our booking conditions.

When booking, you will only be required to pay a 15% deposit

Early Saver

Our Early Saver fares offer a reduced fare with some benefits

Available on selected cruises, at selected times

Available on selected grades of stateroom (we’ll assign your stateroom number)

Second priority for dining - Britannia passengers can submit their dining preference prior to boarding, allocation will be confirmed on boarding.

15% deposit

Flexibility to change your booking (subject to our booking conditions)

Saver Fare

Saver Fares require 100% deposit at the time of booking & are subject to a 100% cancellation fee

No amendments are permitted once booked; any amendment will be treated as a cancellation.

Bookings are made at the relevant stateroom type and a stateroom number is allocated by Cunard prior to departure.

Dinner seating as allocated on board.

Shuttle buses in ports are an additional cost.

Saver Fares apply to new bookings only. These terms and conditions vary, where relevant, the applicable booking conditions which are otherwise unchanged.

When I look at a voyage it only shows me 1 or 2 options. Maybe I've just not looked at one with all 3 ?

You never get 3 at one time. It's either the Cunard Fare plus the Early Saver, or nearer the time it's the Cunard Fare plus the (late) Saver.

Makes sense that there would be no "Early Saver" if it's no longer early relative to the sailing date.:D

Thanks Ray66, it's hard to find the UK pages since Cunard's server will divert to US pages once it detects a US ISP. It also spells out that "Saver" fares don't get a dining choice. There was a recent thread where a poster lamented she wasn't granted a "simple request to change one's dining time" based on her fare.

There was a recent thread where a poster lamented she wasn't granted a "simple request to change one's dining time" based on her fare.

Me: "I'd like to change my inside cabin for a grill's one please, but I'm not prepared to pay any more money."

Cunard : "I'm sorry sir, you can't do that"

Me : "What's wrong with these people ? Can you grant me a simple request ?"

Correct...in most cases.

For our very first QM2 cruise, we were able to purchase an inside cabin for $1199(including tax and port charges), with an upgrade to a balcony cabin and return airfare from London to Orlando, FL on Virgin Atlantic included. It was such a good deal that we booked on Tuesday and left on Saturday!! :D