Bring my Own Spirits?

VacaytimeRR2015

To amplify a bit on what Rick said, you are free to bring on hard liquor and wine for consumption in your room. If you want to bring on your own wine for use at meals, there is a corkage charge of $25. They will keep any leftovers for later use (if there are any!) which can be brought to any of the dining venues.

Mura

We don't recommend packing liquor in checked luggage as we have known a couple of bottles to break. However we have friends who put a bottle in their luggage, well wrapped, and have had no problem.

As to carry ons, just remember the airline rules about liquids in carry ons. We always try and book a flight through London, with extra time, if we are going to a Europe cruise so we can buy at Heathrow. Many airports now have duty free before you go through customs at the end of your flight.

Do a little research and you can get plenty of good info.

We don't recommend packing liquor in checked luggage as we have known a couple of bottles to break. However we have friends who put a bottle in their luggage, well wrapped, and have had no problem.

As to carry ons, just remember the airline rules about liquids in carry ons. We always try and book a flight through London, with extra time, if we are going to a Europe cruise so we can buy at Heathrow. Many airports now have duty free before you go through customs at the end of your flight.

Check out rumrunnerflasks.com . We've been taking liquor onboard using their flasks for years. Have to admit that we enclose each one in a ziplock bag, and put them in our checked bags. No problems to date. Perfect for those folks who like to have a drink on their verandah...

Rum Runners work well (and I extra insulate them as you do) but not everyone wants to put their wine or spirits in them ... not sure what they are made of but it looks like plastic or some such material ...

Besides Run Runners there is Magellans.com. I bought a few bottle protectors from them in the past which are VERY heavy duty but look a lot like what Amazon is now selling for much less. What Magellans is offering at their website today is an inflatable container, much different from what I purchased from them before.

TravelSmith has a set of two wine bottle protectors for $25. (On sale today for $20.) I also found a number of other sources just by googling "bottle protectors".

And go to amazon.com ... they seem to have a big selection of bottle protectors.

Mura

P.S. I started using Rum Runners 5 years ago because you could supposedly sneak booze onto ships that didn't allow you to bring on your own. They worked then but I have gathered from recent posts that the cruise lines involved read CC posts and have learned to discover them in your luggage. So they still work for a relatively safe way of importing liquids but maybe not so well for sneaking liquids on board.

They don't seem to care if you advertise it either ... I haven't done so but a number of people have posted here about bringing on a case of wine or more. (I have only brought on a few bottles of wine and maybe a pint of spirits.)

It's no problem as long as you follow the rules about consuming in your room or paying a corkage fee for public consumption.

You certainly don't have to hide bringing it on either! Many of these comments are directed to protecting the bottles, not hiding them.

Mura

It's no problem as long as you follow the rules about consuming in your room or paying a corkage fee for public consumption.

Mura

That would be wine of course, as far as spirits you bring aboard being consumed anywhere else there really is no rule about that, since officially it's not sanctioned. But, it more a common sense and courtesy type thing, and something that people mention here anytime the subject comes up.

I do have some questions about that so called rule though. What if you are in a room with a bar set up. Is that for in room consumption or can you pour yourself a drink and go sit by the pool with it? What if you purchase a bottle from the Bon Voyage gifts? Same deal.

Actually they're just rhetorical questions. I'm just always amused that "the rule" is always quoted, when really there isn't one when it comes to drinks other than wine. Most of us do realize though that it would be bad form to pour a scotch in the room and take it to martinis to socialize.

That would be wine of course, as far as spirits you bring aboard being consumed anywhere else there really is no rule about that, since officially it's not sanctioned. But, it more a common sense and courtesy type thing, and something that people mention here anytime the subject comes up.

I do have some questions about that so called rule though. What if you are in a room with a bar set up. Is that for in room consumption or can you pour yourself a drink and go sit by the pool with it? What if you purchase a bottle from the Bon Voyage gifts? Same deal.

As to the room set-up, if you have a bottle of wine and take it to dinner they won't charge the corkage. The bottle is clearly marked. Still, the rule as I understand it is that with spirits it's not proper to pour the drink in your room and then go to a bar, but then again if it's your in-suite set-up it might be okay. It would NOT be okay if it's liquor you brought on board ... as I read it.

Regarding bon voyage gifts, I assume the same rule would apply as to the room set-up for top suites ... It's easier with wine to figure out what is "proper" than with spirits, I guess.

Actually they're just rhetorical questions. I'm just always amused that "the rule" is always quoted, when really there isn't one when it comes to drinks other than wine. Most of us do realize though that it would be bad form to pour a scotch in the room and take it to martinis to socialize.

For ourselves, when we have had spirits provided by the ship, we only drink them in the room. It is easier in our case since DH doesn't drink beyond an occasional sip of my wine at dinner, so I just have an aperitif in our room because we rarely go to one of the bars. Wine at dinner is different.

Mura

Rum Runners work well (and I extra insulate them as you do) but not everyone wants to put their wine or spirits in them ... not sure what they are made of but it looks like plastic or some such material ...

Besides Run Runners there is Magellans.com.

TravelSmith has a set of two wine bottle protectors for $25. (On sale today for $20.) I also found a number of other sources just by googling "bottle protectors".

And go to amazon.com ... they seem to have a big selection of bottle protectors.

Mura I bought a few bottle protectors from them in the past which are VERY heavy duty but look a lot like what Amazon is now selling for much less. What Magellans is offering at their website today is an inflatable container, much different from what I purchased from them before.

P.S. I started using Rum Runners 5 years ago because you could supposedly sneak booze onto ships that didn't allow you to bring on your own. They worked then but I have gathered from recent posts that the cruise lines involved read CC posts and have learned to discover them in your luggage. So they still work for a relatively safe way of importing liquids but maybe not so well for sneaking liquids on board.

We bought those bottle protectors from Magellans a few years ago and they work very well. ;)

While there may be no "rule" in the official documents about where you can consume your own spirits, in almost every issue of "Currents" (the daily shipboard newsletter) there are posts reminding guests that personal adult beverages (beer, wine and liquor) are to be consumed in ones cabin.

The fact that such posts appear makes two points -- that personal alcoholic beverages are not for public consumption, and more importantly, it is inherently recognized that bringing such beverages on board is OK.

While there may be no "rule" in the official documents about where you can consume your own spirits, in almost every issue of "Currents" (the daily shipboard newsletter) there are posts reminding guests that personal adult beverages (beer, wine and liquor) are to be consumed in ones cabin.

The fact that such posts appear makes two points -- that personal alcoholic beverages are not for public consumption, and more importantly, it is inherently recognized that bringing such beverages on board is OK.

I'll look for that here in a few days. I don't recall having seen that in the past. I have to admit I don't read much in the Currents past the activities or port information.

FWIW, I'm not saying to drink your own alcohol in public. I am just curious about the "rule" that keeps being talked about. Obviously the notice you are referred to would fit the bill. Thanks for pointing that out.

I asked the same question earlier this year following the coming together of cruise lines which have different policies.

No problem

I always bring aboard my favourite scotch -Lagavulin

That my friend is a class bit of whiskey...... they wont have it on the ship either ........cheers

Has anyone bought spirits at the duty-free shop at Marco Polo Airport?

Or is there a shop near the port to purchase wine etc.

Check this site: http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/home

There are special/complicated rules for the EU. I know we bought some sweet/Italian vermouth to make Manhattans at a shop near the ship but not sure what all they sell. Depends what you are looking for, I guess and if it is something Italians drink.

I googled "Venice Italy Liquor Stores" and a lots of web sites/info. Depends on how much time you have to walk to a store.

Good Luck

FWIW, we've packed many bottles of wine in our checked luggage and have not had any problems. We use bubble wrap and make sure there are plenty of clothes surrounding the bottle so it doesn't jostle around. We travel to California regularly and always bring our favorite wines home in our checked luggage. Dozens of bottles over the years and have never had any break. I wouldn't bother with any special bottle protectors. Just my personal opinion.

I used rum runners several times in the past to "smuggle" booze onto the mass market lines, back when I was cruising the mass market lines. :p Never got caught. I too had heard that the cruise lines caught onto this practice, but my sister just returned from a Carnival cruise, and she successfully smuggled three full bottles of booze into her cabin using rum runners! So I guess they do sometimes still work.

By the way, there's another great use for them: to store your opened bottle of wine for longer. Most good bottles of wine won't taste very good much past the second day after opening...but if you carefully transfer it to a rum runner and squeeze all the air out, it will last for days! I know this works because I've tried it.

FWIW, we've packed many bottles of wine in our checked luggage and have not had any problems. We use bubble wrap and make sure there are plenty of clothes surrounding the bottle so it doesn't jostle around. We travel to California regularly and always bring our favorite wines home in our checked luggage. Dozens of bottles over the years and have never had any break. I wouldn't bother with any special bottle protectors. Just my personal opinion.

Me too. I don't think I've ever gone on a cruise where I didn't bring at least a couple bottles of wine with me, carefully packed in my checked luggage. I too use bubble wrap, and then then seal the whole thing in a large baggie and make sure it's in the middle. Dozens of bottles, never had one break.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself! :o

Check this site: http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/home

There are special/complicated rules for the EU. I know we bought some sweet/Italian vermouth to make Manhattans at a shop near the ship but not sure what all they sell. Depends what you are looking for, I guess and if it is something Italians drink.

I googled "Venice Italy Liquor Stores" and a lots of web sites/info. Depends on how much time you have to walk to a store.

Good Luck

We are travelling through Munich to connect and I simply emailed the airport and they connected me to security,

They sent me confirmation that we can pick up our duty free in Canada and carry it on through as long as we follow the rules.

If I understand it correctly most of the EU seems to follow these rules, so as long as you are entering from a non EU country you can pick up duty free and carry it through on connection.

That would be a cheaper alternative that buying at the airport IMO.

Here is the pdf that they attached for me in case it helps anyone else.

Duty free - Munich airport.pdf

I used rum runners several times in the past to "smuggle" booze onto the mass market lines, back when I was cruising the mass market lines. :p Never got caught. I too had heard that the cruise lines caught onto this practice, but my sister just returned from a Carnival cruise, and she successfully smuggled three full bottles of booze into her cabin using rum runners! So I guess they do sometimes still work.

By the way, there's another great use for them: to store your opened bottle of wine for longer. Most good bottles of wine won't taste very good much past the second day after opening...but if you carefully transfer it to a rum runner and squeeze all the air out, it will last for days! I know this works because I've tried it.

Me too. I don't think I've ever gone on a cruise where I didn't bring at least a couple bottles of wine with me, carefully packed in my checked luggage. I too use bubble wrap, and then then seal the whole thing in a large baggie and make sure it's in the middle. Dozens of bottles, never had one break.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself! :o

"O" has a very liberal policy for bring alcohol on board. Just carry it on, no need to hide it in your luggage. When boarding the ship the first day or any other day, the security staff will place any carry on item thru the X-Ray machine. As to consumption on board, if you bring it on board with you, then consume it in your cabin. If you buy a bottle of wine on board and it is delivered to your cabin and you want to drink it in one of the resturanats, have your cabin attendant take it to the restaurant. The restaurant staff will recognize the bottle being purchased on the ship. While "O" is silent on it, from a safety standpoint, they do not encourage the quests walking around the ship with glasses in their hands. Keep in mind "O" has a very liberal alcohol policy, just use your own discretion.

"O" has a very liberal policy for bring alcohol on board. Just carry it on, no need to hide it in your luggage. When boarding the ship the first day or any other day, the security staff will place any carry on item thru the X-Ray machine. As to consumption on board, if you bring it on board with you, then consume it in your cabin. If you buy a bottle of wine on board and it is delivered to your cabin and you want to drink it in one of the resturanats, have your cabin attendant take it to the restaurant. The restaurant staff will recognize the bottle being purchased on the ship. While "O" is silent on it, from a safety standpoint, they do not encourage the quests walking around the ship with glasses in their hands. Keep in mind "O" has a very liberal alcohol policy, just use your own discretion.

If this was directed at me - yes, I'm well aware of O's booze policy. :) That's one of the first things I checked into, as we're vineyard owners and I always like to bring several bottles of our own wine to share with others and enjoy myself. I probably won't be buying any wine onboard, as I should have more than enough with me to suffice...and I will gladly pay the $25 corkage for any bottles I bring to dinner with me.

I won't bother with other types of alcohol. I'm mainly a wine drinker, but I might want a martini at happy hour or perhaps a port at the end of the meal, but I'll just buy those as needed.

My days of "booze smuggling" are long over...departed along with any desire to ever again cruise on a mass market ship. :p The first time I did a Regent cruise, and walked into my cabin to find three full bottles of booze in my cabin AT NO CHARGE, I was hooked!

If this was directed at me - yes, I'm well aware of O's booze policy. :) That's one of the first things I checked into, as we're vineyard owners and I always like to bring several bottles of our own wine to share with others and enjoy myself. I probably won't be buying any wine onboard, as I should have more than enough with me to suffice...and I will gladly pay the $25 corkage for any bottles I bring to dinner with me....

No guarantees, as not all Oceania sommeliers are sophisticated, but if you offer the chief sommelier a taste of your vineyard's wine, they may waive the corkage fee, in the interests of broadening their knowledge. Let us know if it works :cool:.

No guarantees, as not all Oceania sommeliers are sophisticated, but if you offer the chief sommelier a taste of your vineyard's wine, they may waive the corkage fee, in the interests of broadening their knowledge. Let us know if it works :cool:.

Ooh...good idea! I'll give it a shot. I will say our wine is quite good - it retails between $40 and $55 a bottle, depending on the vintage. Heck maybe I'll just give him a bottle! :D If he likes it, maybe he'll let me slide for the duration of the cruise. :D