Two More Edge Class Ships Ordered

CruisingChick

It's hard to get too excited about additional Edge class ships when there is so little known about the first ones.

LOL, I Totally agree with this! All the marketing hoopla on how well received they are and how much interest etc...yet we have hardly a thing to go by!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, I Totally agree with this! All the marketing hoopla on how well received they are and how much interest etc...yet we have hardly a thing to go by!

Yeah. Give us a morsel of info.

I sure hope they'll build a thalassotherapy pool (or two) into the design of the E- class ships! A great chance to rectify the serious mistake of not including them on the S-class, IMHO. :p

Betsy

Absolutely!

And if they decide to include those giant TV screens, I hope they are located in a separate area (as they have done with M class) and not over the Main pool deck like Princess.

Edited by simon stingray
Typo

I sure hope they'll build a thalassotherapy pool (or two) into the design of the E- class ships! A great chance to rectify the serious mistake of not including them on the S-class, IMHO. :p

Betsy

Don't be surprised to see a T pool in an area for suites only....These ships are going to have a large suite presence, I just hope its not to the expense of the rest of the people on the ship.

I can assure you, from his demeanor, he wasn't just guessing. He actually seemed quite giddy to be sharing the news with those of us at his table.

Couple of years ago I seriously doubt he knew but they did the same thing with S class, there may be more coming.

I can assure you, from his demeanor, he wasn't just guessing. He actually seemed quite giddy to be sharing the news with those of us at his table.

Couple of years ago I seriously doubt he knew but they did the same thing with S class, there may be more coming.

I still remember all the Captains and other high ranking personnel who absolutely knew that the Century was going to be cut in half and stretched.

Ship

new Celebrity Cruises ships

Celebrity TBN1

Celebrity TBN2

Celebrity TBN3

Celebrity TBN4

both vessels are marked as project EDGE

To be launched

fall 2018

early 2020

Gross Tonnage

size in ft 984x123

size in m 300x37

Passengers

Cost (Millions USD)

$900

Builder

STX France

According to information posted online on Nov. 26, 2015, the 4 Edge class ships were already on the books with STX.

The Staff Captain told us in March of 2014. X officially announced the first 2 Edge class ships in the Fall of 2014.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/770-newest-cruise-ships

Edited by C-Dragons

Don't be surprised to see a T pool in an area for suites only....These ships are going to have a large suite presence, I just hope its not to the expense of the rest of the people on the ship.

No, you can be pretty sure it will be at the expense of the people paying top dollar for the suites. The only possible reason to add more suite amenities is to make more money, they ain't running a charity.

No, you can be pretty sure it will be at the expense of the people paying top dollar for the suites. The only possible reason to add more suite amenities is to make more money, they ain't running a charity.

Where does Celebrity say that Edge ships would have a larger proportion of suites or an exclusive suite area? Is this just speculation at this point? I generally sail in some type of suite and believe me pay a substantial premium but it is my choice. The market drives it. On most Celebrity ships the suites sell out very fast particularly for interesting and/or longer itineraries. They provide a top notch suite experience IMO.

You're correct, you get what you pay for,if you choose a suite you are entitled to all the benefits you paid for in your fare. I was thinking in terms of taking space away from the rest of the ship. I.e.: Michaels Club

Edited by dkjretired

Where does Celebrity say that Edge ships would have a larger proportion of suites or an exclusive suite area? Is this just speculation at this point? I generally sail in some type of suite and believe me pay a substantial premium but it is my choice. The market drives it. On most Celebrity ships the suites sell out very fast particularly for interesting and/or longer itineraries. They provide a top notch suite experience IMO.

Nothing definite just speculation but they need to keep of with the other lines such as NCL with their Haven concept.

Let me draw a simple comparison.

We visited Norway aboard Queen Victoria which is a "Vista Class" ship. Same basic hull used by many Carnival Group lines. As we were eating breakfast up pulled a Costa ship, another Vista Class. When they started coming ashore, it looked like someone had taken down the fences in a refugee camp, hundreds of people streaming off. So after a spot of Googling, I found that the ships were almost identical dimensions but there were close on 800 extra people aboard the one with the yellow funnel. Most of them, presumably, paying less than the average on our ship.

The new class of ships might have more suites, it might not. The space ratio and crew/pax ratio may be better or worse. But you can rest assured that it will be built for Celebrity's target demographic and will maximise the profit potential.

Yes it sounds like people are expecting an NCL style Haven concept on the new ships - an all suite ship within a ship! If so, wonderful for those that use it. There will still be plenty of 'ship' for me to enjoy without feeling I in steerage!

It's when I'm sitting down at the Bar and the bartender asked for suite guests drink ordered before mine that it would start to ruffle my feathers!

Yes it sounds like people are expecting an NCL style Haven concept on the new ships - an all suite ship within a ship! If so, wonderful for those that use it. There will still be plenty of 'ship' for me to enjoy without feeling I in steerage!

It's when I'm sitting down at the Bar and the bartender asked for suite guests drink ordered before mine that it would start to ruffle my feathers!

The Suites have their own lounge so they don't have to mingle with us peasants in steerage.

The Suites have their own lounge so they don't have to mingle with us peasants in steerage.

This is hot of the press, a preview of the new intimate modern luxury non-suite Martini Bar on the Edge class ships [emoji15]762d731389bb4c51ecddba387e266f19.jpg

This is hot of the press, a preview of the new intimate modern luxury non-suite Martini Bar on the Edge class ships [emoji15]762d731389bb4c51ecddba387e266f19.jpg

At least there's more room than the current martini bars which are tiny and cramped for seating.

Even more exciting are the new family share non suite cabins. these will sure to be popular for the masses lol. More modern steerage than modern luxury [emoji12]7898d152daa0698664756f9b05853aae.jpg

Edited by QE2_Fan

Even more exciting are the new family share non suite cabins. these will sure to be popular for the masses lol. More modern steerage than modern luxury [emoji12]7898d152daa0698664756f9b05853aae.jpg

I wonder if you pay extra for a step to use that toilet.

I will not be surprised if Celebrity adds additional spaces for suites-only access like a pool area, but the idea that suite guests hiss at the plebes whenever they make eye contact is a bit over-dramatic. I stay in suites because the room is bigger. Period. I love sharing the other spaces with whoever else is on the cruise because it's a great way to meet interesting people. You generally have to ask people their room category because I have yet to meet someone who announces it loudly and often and those types would be boorish no matter what. The small restaurant is nice in that the food quality is better (because you're paying for it), but I actually missed aspects of the MDR as well. I wouldn't miss the over-crowded pool area but I avoid the pool anyway. I haven't sailed in any Haven-type venue because if I wanted a small-ship feel, I'd sail a real luxury line on a small ship. The prices are not that much different. I think it would be a mistake for Celebrity to take it to that extreme.

I wonder if you pay extra for a step to use that toilet.

Ahhh, that's the sink [emoji15]The toilet is down the hall. It has one of those pay for 5 minutes use locks in it. [emoji857]