Review of Millennium May 12 Alaska Northbound

jaspersmommy

We recently completed an 8-night Northbound Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward on the Millennium. It departed on May 12, the first cruise after the ship left dry dock. Overall, we were very happy with this cruise.

We woke up in our hotel in Vancouver the morning of the 12th and were watching the local news. Before cutting to a commercial, the camera showed the harbour with Millie sailing in. What a great way to start the day!

After breakfast we went for a walk to Canada Place to take a look at the ship. Upon arriving at the port we immediately noticed that the outside of the ship had a fresh coat of paint and looked great. I hadn’t been on Millie in six years, so was anxious to see how she looked inside and out.

We arrived at the port at 10:30. We breezed through customs. There were no other ships in port. They called those with disabilities to begin boarding at around 10:55, and suites right around 11:00. We were on the ship by 11:10. The announcement that cabins were ready came early. I can’t recall the exact time, but I believe it was a little before 12:30.

Our impression from walking around the ship was that everything was in pretty good shape cosmetically. We didn’t see anything that was in obvious disrepair. There was some new carpeting and fresh paint here and there. I can’t see any reason why anyone would have cause to complain about the state of the ship.

We stayed in Sky Suite 6132. I’d read conflicting reports about this stateroom. Although it has an extra-large balcony, some people didn’t like it because a lot of it is exposed to the wind. On cooler days, we just sat close to the glass doors and were shielded from the wind. While in port, and even on the nicer days while sailing, we were fine on all areas of the balcony. We really enjoyed the extra space.

The stateroom itself is looking a little tired, but it certainly isn’t in bad shape. The carpet and curtains were clean and so was the bathroom. It’s probably time for new beds and furnishings. However, I knew beforehand that Sky Suites were not scheduled to be updated in this dry dock, so the room itself was as I expected and I wasn’t disappointed. I wouldn’t hesitate to book this stateroom again. The location itself was really convenient for stairs and elevators but it wasn’t noisy.

Our butler, Peter, was great. Our stateroom attendant, Aristotle, was outstanding. They couldn’t have been any better.

Unfortunately, I can’t comment on the MDR as we didn’t eat there at all. However, we did find out that select dining is now on deck 4 and the early and late-seating regular dining has been moved to deck 5.

All suites were offered one free specialty restaurant meal. This used to be an automatic perk for suites but was withdrawn a few months back. I’m guessing it was offered on this sailing to promote the new Tuscan Grille that replaced the Olympic during the recent dry dock. We had already purchased a specialty dining package of three dinners, so we ended up with four. We ate in Qsine once and Tuscan Grille three times.

We dined at Qsine with another couple. Most of the food was pretty good, but there were a couple of dishes that were just so-so. The service was excellent. Our Tuscan Grille meals were great all three times. I’ve seen so many complaints about Tuscan Grille and don’t understand why. However, we’ve only tried it on Millie and the Eclipse. Perhaps it’s not so good on some other ships. The first two nights we were at Tuscan Grille, it was not even half full. The last night of the cruise it was much fuller. The service we received was really outstanding (Victor was our waiter all three times). They are trying very hard to please and it showed.

The other four nights we split dinners between Luminae and Blu. Food at both was very good, with the exception of one meal at Luminae. My husband ordered a strip loin steak that he couldn’t even cut, let alone chew. He told the waiter to take it away as it was inedible. The waiter made no comment and simply took it away. He didn’t offer an alternative meal or make any apology. Although I enjoyed my meals at Luminae, I wished there had been a little more selection. I know we could’ve ordered from the MDR menu, but I feel bad asking them to do that.

We did not try the new Sushi on 5 which was added at the recent dry dock, replacing Bistro on 5. Every time we went by, it was empty or almost empty. Although I love sushi, I thought the prices were way too high.

The Ocean View buffet offerings were somewhat lackluster at lunch and dinner. Most of it did not appeal to me. There is no longer sushi available. The scrambled eggs at breakfast were disgusting… floating in liquid. Other than that, their breakfast items seemed OK. We preferred Blu for breakfast.

We had premium drink packages, and had great service at all the bars. We find all that it takes is to tip decently. Although tips are included in the package, a little extra goes a long way.

The only evening entertainment we attended was the comedians. They were pretty good and worth seeing. The onboard naturalist, Milos, is very, very good. His talks were excellent. There was a woman giving talks on various ports and she was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

We normally do excursions privately, but we had received a lot of OBCs so we booked a couple of excursions through X. They were very disorganized. On the first one in Icy Strait Point, the pre-tour meeting time was set too late. Due to the length of the walk from the ship to the tour departure point, several elderly folks did not make it in time. We told the tour operator that there were several elderly people on their way. They didn’t care and the tour left without them. For our Skagway tour, we were very late in departing as X took a very long time to get everything organized.

The new internet service, Xcelerate, was anything but accelerated for us. The only way we could use it was in the iLounge. We rarely picked up the wifi in our stateroom. When we did, it was excruciatingly slow. It was down altogether for a couple of days. I saw a comment from someone on the cruise after ours who said the service was OK, so perhaps they fixed something in the interim.

In summary, we had a great cruise. There were a few small things that were disappointing but they didn’t really impact our enjoyment. It had been three years since we’d been on a cruise with X. I’d read some really negative reviews on the ship itself and a lot of comments about the decline in the whole X experience, so went into it a little apprehensively. The ship was great, and I can’t say I noticed any decline in service whatsoever. I’m happy to say there was no reason for concern. I hope that this is helpful to anyone considering an itinerary on Millie.

I have just finished reading your excellent review and enjoyed it immensely. We were in 6132 also from Singapore to Sydney and I agree with all you said. We thought the soft furnishings were a little jaded. We really enjoyed the big balcony as our cruise was in hot weather. We loved Peter.

Imagine our surprise also that you had Aristotle. We moved to AQ for the next 2 segments (Sydney to Vancouver) and we had Aristotle for the rest of the trip. We gave him an excellent review so maybe that is why he is now working the suites. Good for him. He really deserves it.

We felt we preferred the food in Blu to Luminae.

We thought the service on this ship was outstanding. Everyone was great and we loved the Captain, but you had a different one.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this review.

I have just finished reading your excellent review and enjoyed it immensely. We were in 6132 also from Singapore to Sydney and I agree with all you said. We thought the soft furnishings were a little jaded. We really enjoyed the big balcony as our cruise was in hot weather. We loved Peter.

Imagine our surprise also that you had Aristotle. We moved to AQ for the next 2 segments (Sydney to Vancouver) and we had Aristotle for the rest of the trip. We gave him an excellent review so maybe that is why he is now working the suites. Good for him. He really deserves it.

We felt we preferred the food in Blu to Luminae.

We thought the service on this ship was outstanding. Everyone was great and we loved the Captain, but you had a different one.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this review.

Glad to hear you also enjoyed 6132. Aristitle's card still indicated that he was an Aqua Class attendant so he must have been very recently moved. Every time we returned to our room it was immaculate. He was awesome and so very nice.

We also had outstanding service pretty much everywhere on the ship. Every employee we encountered in hallways, restaurants, etc. had a big smile and a friendly greeting.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Thanks for your excellent review (short but very informative). We depart Seward on June 3 for a southbound Millennium cruise (along with 17 friends). We're all looking forward to a great Alaska adventure. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

We were also on the May 12 Northbound Millenium. I think the internet was only down one morning, as I used it every day from our deck 7 stateroom. It was faster than when we were on Millie in 2014 and reached our room! The recently added terrace area on deck 12 is a nice feature. Didn't watch any movies, but went there to relax. Nice lounges and furniture. There is a small outside elevator from deck 11 for those who may need it.

The weather was nice most days. Two days of rain, but the 78* weather in Ketchikan and the gorgeous day at Hubbard glacier more than made up for that. If anyone wonders about sailing in May, we thought it was a good choice.

We went on our own at Ketchikan, Sitka, and ISP, ships tours--whale watching in Juneau, Whitepass railway in Skagway, Prince William Sound and airport dropoff in Seward. Would recommend all the ships tours we did. Well organized. No problems with disorganization for us.

We had early seating in the MDR, breakfast and lunch in the buffet. Food and service was good. Yes, scrambled eggs in trays were runny, but there were several egg stations to have them fresh.

We had premium drink package. The bartenders at the Martini bar are the best around! You have to have a drink there just to see their show.

We rented a car and toured Denali and interior Alaska for 6 days. Headed home tomorrow!

We were also on the May 12 Northbound Millenium. I think the internet was only down one morning, as I used it every day from our deck 7 stateroom. It was faster than when we were on Millie in 2014 and reached our room!

Very interesting given the fact that Celebrity confirmed that the internet was down the full day on the first sea day and another day later in the cruise and on both days we were unable to get it to work anywhere we went on the ship (on two separate devices).

Very interesting given the fact that Celebrity confirmed that the internet was down the full day on the first sea day and another day later in the cruise and on both days we were unable to get it to work anywhere we went on the ship (on two separate devices).

Your cruise would have been Aristotle's first cruise as a suite attendant. Was he the steward or the assistant? I forgot to say that one day I told Luna, (the steward Aristotle was with) that I was feeling old because it was my birthday the next day. Well, the next day when we came back from breakfast our cabin was decorated to the hilt with balloons, streamers, cute sayings, whatever. Plus they had made two posters for me. I was overwhelmed with their care. They were the best pair of attendants we have had in over 25 cruises. Luna's contract ends in July so we are going to meet her at the ship and take her around Vancouver and then to the airport for her late flight.

I also forgot to say that we found the Internet in 6132 abysmal. It was better in 9104.

I would be very happy to be boarding Millie again tomorrow!!:) Yes, in 6132.

Your cruise would have been Aristotle's first cruise as a suite attendant. Was he the steward or the assistant? I forgot to say that one day I told Luna, (the steward Aristotle was with) that I was feeling old because it was my birthday the next day. Well, the next day when we came back from breakfast our cabin was decorated to the hilt with balloons, streamers, cute sayings, whatever. Plus they had made two posters for me. I was overwhelmed with their care. They were the best pair of attendants we have had in over 25 cruises. Luna's contract ends in July so we are going to meet her at the ship and take her around Vancouver and then to the airport for her late flight.

I also forgot to say that we found the Internet in 6132 abysmal. It was better in 9104.

I would be very happy to be boarding Millie again tomorrow!!:) Yes, in 6132.

Yes, Aristotle was the steward. How lovely that they decorated your cabin for your birthday. That's so thoughtful. You hate to say goodbye to some of those wonderful employees you meet on the ship. That's awesome that you're going to meet Luna and show her Vancouver.

I'd be happy to be boarding just about any ship tomorrow. Unfortunately, Edmonton doesn't have a cruise port so it's not so easy for us :D

Thanks for your review! Headed on the NB trip end of next May! Can't wait!

I've never done Celebrity nor Alaska, so I'm excited to try both. Got a great deal for Millennium so I figured why not.

I'm Diamond on Royal, so I got Elite status on Celebrity. Interested to hear from someone regarding details about the perks!

Any thoughts one way or the other on the current CD and staff?

thanks

Steve Gaida got on when we were in Sydney end of March, so I would imagine he is still the CD. We liked him very much. He often tells a joke at the end of the show at night which lightens up telling what else is programmed for the rest of the night. He also has a show of his own, called "The adventures of Steve" which is very good.

Edited by TeaBag

We were on this same cruise. I loved the eggs Benedict bar at breakfast. We found the shows to be entertaining. We didn't get the internet package, but were able to access free internet in every port. I would sail on this ship again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well, I guess you must know more, but since we were in the process of selling one home and purchasing another, we were constantly checking emails. Because of that, we purchased the internet package. I guess we got lucky because there was only one morning we were not able to access emails.

Well written review .We also sailed on this cruise . Unfortunately I came down with acute bronchitis . Never got off the ship ,saw only 2 shows ,went from dining room back to cabin coughing vigorously .

Had gone to the Infirmary early on the cruise for treatment ,Had many tests including chest X Rays to rule out pneumonia . Unfortunately & I asked they didn't think I need inhalation therapy ( had same condition years back on a Celebrity ship & was given inhalation therapy twice daily --made a huge difference ) .Doctor prescribed 875 MG amoxicillin . Staff is completely South African nurses & doctor .Bill was $718.

When in Anchorage we went to Urgent Care & saw a very thorough American doctor .He immediately put me on inhalation therapy & prescribed meds which cost $452 at Costco pharmacy . Missed going to Denali & stayed at the Anchorage Homewood suites 6 nights recovering . Thanks to their great breakfast & dinners Mondays thru Thursdays ,it made our stay more enjoyable .We did get to see the Anchorage Museum .

This was our 5th cruise & land trip to Alaska .We had been to all the ports on past cruises & Denali when I was able to take photos of the north & South summit with no clouds .Perfectly clear . So we were knowledgeable about what I missed in total . My DW did manage to visit each port while I stayed in the stateroom .

I have a inquiry with the office of the President with Celebrity in Miami as to the effectiveness of the medical staff on this sailing .Celebrity hires the medical staff as independent contractors ,yet are responsible for their activities . I think that Celebrity should give some pay back either in credit car credits or future cruise on board credit . We are booked on the Oct 1 ,2017 Coastal west coast cruise on Infiniti .(a much warmer climate )

Well written review .We also sailed on this cruise . Unfortunately I came down with acute bronchitis . Never got off the ship ,saw only 2 shows ,went from dining room back to cabin coughing vigorously .

Had gone to the Infirmary early on the cruise for treatment ,Had many tests including chest X Rays to rule out pneumonia . Unfortunately & I asked they didn't think I need inhalation therapy ( had same condition years back on a Celebrity ship & was given inhalation therapy twice daily --made a huge difference ) .Doctor prescribed 875 MG amoxicillin . Staff is completely South African nurses & doctor .Bill was $718.

When in Anchorage we went to Urgent Care & saw a very thorough American doctor .He immediately put me on inhalation therapy & prescribed meds which cost $452 at Costco pharmacy . Missed going to Denali & stayed at the Anchorage Homewood suites 6 nights recovering . Thanks to their great breakfast & dinners Mondays thru Thursdays ,it made our stay more enjoyable .We did get to see the Anchorage Museum .

This was our 5th cruise & land trip to Alaska .We had been to all the ports on past cruises & Denali when I was able to take photos of the north & South summit with no clouds .Perfectly clear . So we were knowledgeable about what I missed in total . My DW did manage to visit each port while I stayed in the stateroom .

I have a inquiry with the office of the President with Celebrity in Miami as to the effectiveness of the medical staff on this sailing .Celebrity hires the medical staff as independent contractors ,yet are responsible for their activities . I think that Celebrity should give some pay back either in credit car credits or future cruise on board credit . We are booked on the Oct 1 ,2017 Coastal west coast cruise on Infiniti .(a much warmer climate )

You should be able to recoup your medical charges on ship & land during your trip through your travel insurance...they can also help with compensating for cruise excursions you missed due to illness and were not cancelable.

You should be able to recoup your medical charges on ship & land during your trip through your travel insurance...they can also help with compensating for cruise excursions you missed due to illness and were not cancelable.

We are processing the trip receipt now for our Trip Insurance . Because we have past experience in filing for reimbursements we know the routine .Generally speaking it is 2 pr 3 months to recieve reimbursement once all bills are sent to the trip insurance company .

My main complaint & thus working with the office of the President of Celebrity was the less than recomended treatment of my acute bronchitis in the Infirmary . I say this because normally in these kind of cases inhalation treatments twice daily (medication is in the treatment to help clear up the lings) is a recommended procedure .I had a case just like this several years back on a Celebrity cruise & did have those inhalation treatments twice daily along with antibiotics . Thus ,imo Celebrity should either reimburse for lack of procedural treatment & or provide OBCs for our upcoming Celebrity cruise .

Because of the lack of treatment early on in the ship infirmary ,my bronchitis worsened & it was necessary & far more costly to see a US doctor in Anchorage . The ships bill was $718 .what with added costs post cruise we are now well in excess of $2000 .It is not just the money outlay ;but ,my entire trip was ruined & I was told to go home by the Anchorage doctor & We missed a week in Calgary Canada to see friends & go to Lake Louise ,Banff & see local Calgary sights .

Yes it gets really complicated when so called medical people do not complete the proper treatments .:eek:

Being extremely well versed in ships infirmaries , I find them lacking in medical expertise vs our land based USA doctors . Since we have done 77 cruises & been exposed to ships infirmaries more than I like to admit , I certainly san say this with confidence ,

When once on a ship & saw a female doctor from Columbia & mis diagnosed . during a 5 day in between cruises & in Orlando Florida still not feeling well We went to a Orlando hospital & more x rays taken . The conclusion was I has pneumonia the right lower chest .

We personally know a friend of our daughter & her husband who have a huge lawsuit against Princess Cruises for lack of proper response to a serious wound of plastic penetrating his foot . The man had Hepatitis C & was cut deeply in one of their pools . He also had cancer . The infirmary did not respond for over 1/2 hour with witnessed by a RN passenger & a LS fireman passenger . The lawsuit is well over $1,000,000 .The plastic was omly partially removed by ships infirmary & he had to have foot surgery in UCLA medical center to remove more plastic. from his foot . Thank Gos his cancer is now in remission

We would warn folks about ships infirmaries . Their medical staffs are NOT held to the higher standards required of medical personnel here in the USA

I'm very sorry you got so sick. No doubt the medical staff on Millennium now are different to the ones I had in 2013. They were a South African crew and top notch. I had bronchitis as well and I got 2 Nebulizer treatments, plus a round of antibiotics. I thought I was well looked after. Unfortunately our insurance didn't cover the cost as we have a $300 deductible, and the bill was right around there.

I hope you are getting better, although I know it can be really slow. It's bad enough seeing the end to your cruise but it is worse coming home sick.

I'm very sorry you got so sick. No doubt the medical staff on Millennium now are different to the ones I had in 2013. They were a South African crew and top notch. I had bronchitis as well and I got 2 Nebulizer treatments, plus a round of antibiotics. I thought I was well looked after. Unfortunately our insurance didn't cover the cost as we have a $300 deductible, and the bill was right around there.

I hope you are getting better, although I know it can be really slow. It's bad enough seeing the end to your cruise but it is worse coming home sick.

Thanks & yes I have improved greatly ,not because of the infirmary on Millie ;but ,the USA doctor in Anchorage did the right things including one nebulizer treatment along with Advair Diskus which was $351 at Costco + otjher meds he prescribed . now feeling much much better & no cough :D