Pacific Princess - will we be disappointed?

ilovhywd

Depends on the Cruise.

On the 50th Anniversity Cruise the MDR was very Formal. I wore a Tux.

On a previous PP Cruise, I just wore a dark suit.

The only time we have been on the PP was the 50th Anniversary Cruise and it was more formal. Few, if any, people without a jacket and mostly dark suits. I wore my tux but there were not many tuxes being worn. No more so than some European and South American cruises we have been on in the last few years. Edited by IECalCruiser

Ok for all the people who have traveled on PP how formal is formal evening? was planning on packing a long dress as I know on other cruises I have been on (which isn't many) on Formal nights one really dressed up which I am ok with.

Thanks.

I think it's very itinerary dependent. On the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia there were mostly first time cruisers and it wasn't very dressy. But in Europe I can see where there would be a mix since many people have pre and post cruise plans and might not pack formalwear but Europeans tend to dress more in the evenings. I don't think a long dress is a necessity regardless of itinerary, though.

We enjoy the ship so much we're trying to move heaven and earth to get back on it. It is the opposite of the larger ships in many ways, while still feeling like a familiar Princess cruise.

• 1 month later...

I am the original poster on this thread, and we want to say how much we enjoyed this ship. In fact it was one of our best cruises ever (and that includes some of the luxury cruise lines!). We have never developed better relationships with the staff, who are so friendly and remember your names. The ship itself is a perfect size, and there are no lines anywhere. Highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the original poster on this thread, and we want to say how much we enjoyed this ship. In fact it was one of our best cruises ever (and that includes some of the luxury cruise lines!). We have never developed better relationships with the staff, who are so friendly and remember your names. The ship itself is a perfect size, and there are no lines anywhere. Highly recommended!

Good to hear and thanks for reporting back.

I think it's very itinerary dependent. On the Pacific Princess in French Polynesia there were mostly first time cruisers and it wasn't very dressy. But in Europe I can see where there would be a mix since many people have pre and post cruise plans and might not pack formalwear but Europeans tend to dress more in the evenings. I don't think a long dress is a necessity regardless of itinerary, though.

We enjoy the ship so much we're trying to move heaven and earth to get back on it. It is the opposite of the larger ships in many ways, while still feeling like a familiar Princess cruise.

I was on the World Cruise segment recently from Rome to FLL and formal night seemed the usual mix of dressed up people and those who chose not to and were going to the buffet or the specialty restaurant.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think you hit on some of the reasons we like her so much.

Having recently cruised on the new glitzy Celebrity ships, the newer Oceania ships, and the Crown Princess, would we be disappointed with the older Pacific Princess?

There is an itinerary that we really like, but we are concerned about the age of the ship.

Has Princess kept up with safety and decor improvements over the years?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You probably will be.

So glad you liked it! We did the 111 day world cruise this year and we want back on! We miss the crew so much and we love the quiet old elegance of the ship.

Made so many friends and had lovely time. Captain JP, Oscar, Martin, Wayan, Cecelia, Gilbert, Jelena, Bernardo were all so wonderful. And Antonio, Sandy, Amadeus, and Iljo. Maybe the ship is not glitzy, buts small ship becomes a village on long cruises. The crew was 110% dedicated to all of us having a wonderful time.

Can't wait to do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

as some say, it's fairly subjective. We love the newer celebrity ships, older and really enjoyed the Diamond Princess. We sailed the PP to the Amazon in 09 I think. Her itineraries are amazing, but we felt she needed a complete overhaul at that time. Service wasn't as crisp or guest service as stellar as on Celebrity or Diamond. Look My at her recent cabin pics, still looks outdated to us...similar to Azamara before their big refurbishment.

We found the PP to be quaint, quiet and very relaxing. The ports were fabulous. Again, this is only our opinion.

They are required to maintain the latest safety standards.

Princess is keeping up with safety and that is about it...they are not concerned with other areas of up keep.

After being on the O and Celeb you will be less than happy when you compare to the other R class ships out there....

O just bought one of Princess R ships like pacific and had to spend $40-50 million to repair and refurbish....

It appears the Pacific princess the last of the small ships is being milked by Princess for every last dime before retirement or sale.

Having recently cruised on the new glitzy Celebrity ships, the newer Oceania ships, and the Crown Princess, would we be disappointed with the older Pacific Princess?

There is an itinerary that we really like, but we are concerned about the age of the ship.

Has Princess kept up with safety and decor improvements over the years?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Smaller ships are a completely different cruising experience from the oversized behemoths. More intimate. You do not have to walk miles to get from one place to another. The public spaces are smaller. They do not devote half of the ship to shopping malls. The crew gets to know you.

The one negative about them is that because there are fewer spaces on the ship, there will also be fewer available activities at any one time because there are fewer venues to hold them in. However, since I do not cruise to participate in what I consider silly activities, this does not bother me.

I love the small ships and will be sorry when they all disappear. We have done most of our cruising on small and mid sized ships and it will be a cold day in hell before you find me on one of the ridiculous monstrosities that they are now building. The new ships even look awful.

However, since we do not know you and your likes and dislikes, how can you expect us to tell you if you will be disappointed with the Pacific Princess. Your question is not answerable. Some people cruise for the ship. Some people cruise for the itinerary and basically do not care about the ship as long as it floats (LOL!!). I am in the 2nd group. If you alike the itinerary, try the Pacific Princess and if you do not like it, don't cruise on her again.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

It seems like just about everyone liked the PP, but DH and I did not like it at all. For disclaimer purposes, I will say that (for the first time ever) I was seasick for a few days and that definitely put a damper on things. (Linda, wherever you are, God Bless you for the seasick medicine!)

DH and I found the ship itinerary to be very lacking. We did the Tahiti to LA cruise which had over 10 sea days, and it seemed like there was never anything going on, and we were pretty bored, to be honest. I like some down time, but when the only thing happening for days and days in a row is the same infomercials from the Spa, it gets old very quickly. The lack of a piazza also was definitely a downer.

I won't elaborate on this, (since its subjective), but DH and I also found the housekeeping on this ship to be WAY below par.

Before I get hate mail, let me say that for everyone who enjoyed the PP, I'm really happy you did. DH and I are still sailing on Princess, but we will never do a small ship experience again. We love the big ship and all the action, and even the walking around. More people to meet and more to do.