UBP gratuities on Epic

Clancampbell

Hello all

When I booked our cruise on the Epic, it included a free UBP promotion and I assumed the 18% gratuity was added to each drink "purchased" but I think I may have assumed incorrectly.

Can you please let me know if the 18% is added to the cost of each drink or is it 18% of the total cost of the UBP? If it's the latter, I think I best start to saving a bit harder for our cruise! :eek:

Also, does anyone know what sugar free/diet soft drinks are available and whether any of them are decaf?

Many thanks, Nigel

Hello all

When I booked our cruise on the Epic, it included a free UBP promotion and I assumed the 18% gratuity was added to each drink "purchased" but I think I may have assumed incorrectly.

Can you please let me know if the 18% is added to the cost of each drink or is it 18% of the total cost of the UBP? If it's the latter, I think I best start to saving a bit harder for our cruise! :eek:

Also, does anyone know what sugar free/diet soft drinks are available and whether any of them are decaf?

Many thanks, Nigel

If you booked your cruise in the US and after the 18% gratuities have been charged to the UBP, you will be charged the 18% based on the price of the UBP and it will be due upon your final payment....you should see it on your cruise confirmation. it's $99 for seven days.

Yes, they have diet Pepsi. Not sure if they have an diet decaf sodas.

Edited by NLH Arizona

For you, assuming you booked in the UK, there is no 18% gratuity to pay at all. :)

Have fun.

Hi Keith

I did book in the UK and not that am I doubting you at all, but are you sure? What makes us so special?

Nigel

Hi Keith

I did book in the UK and not that am I doubting you at all, but are you sure? What makes us so special?

Nigel

Absolutely sure.

Some countries don't pay the gratuities. It just seems like they do sometimes as the majority of people on here are from the US, where they do.

Edited by KeithJenner

Thanks for the link.

It would therefore appear that what Keith says is incorrect?

No, Keith is correct. The 18% gratuity is INCLUDED as part of the free package. In North America people have to pay the 18% on the value of the package.

You have a good deal, my friend. :)

Thanks for the link.

It would therefore appear that what Keith says is incorrect?

No, the wording is just a bit confusing.

The promo includes the 18% therefore you don't have to pay it, as its included. :)

I'm correct, honest. I've booked it about half a dozen times.

No, Keith is correct. The 18% gratuity is INCLUDED as part of the free package. In North America people have to pay the 18% on the value of the package.

You have a good deal, my friend. :)

No, the wording is just a bit confusing.

The promo includes the 18% therefore you don't have to pay it, as its included. :)

I'm correct, honest. I've booked it about half a dozen times.

Well, what a pair of stars you are! :)

All of a sudden, I am looking forward to the cruise even more. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

Well, what a pair of stars you are! :)

All of a sudden, I am looking forward to the cruise even more. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

It's always nice to be the bearer of good news. :)

Something else to keep in mind as well. If your Epic cruise is the 7 day Western Med one then you may hear that they charge 10% tax on all drinks consumed. However, I can confirm that this is not being charged if you have the promo UBP, so no need to worry about that one either.

It's always nice to be the bearer of good news. :)

Something else to keep in mind as well. If your Epic cruise is the 7 day Western Med one then you may hear that they charge 10% tax on all drinks consumed. However, I can confirm that this is not being charged if you have the promo UBP, so no need to worry about that one either.

It is indeed the Western Med cruise out of Rome.

The giver of good news just keep on giving! Anything else? ;)

Just be warned though, that if I find out you're bluffing, I will hunt you down...:)

We did a 2 week back 2 back in January with the UBP no extra charged.

We are doing a week Med in September with the UBP given and don't expect an extra charge. We will be taking full advantage ;-).

I think it is due to different legalities in different countries.

Enjoy!!!

We did a 2 week back 2 back in January with the UBP no extra charged.

We are doing a week Med in September with the UBP given and don't expect an extra charge. We will be taking full advantage ;-).

I think it is due to different legalities in different countries.

Enjoy!!!

That's good to hear. If you sail before me make sure you don't drink them dry! ;)

Oh dear, it seems like we all know about the beer, but our knowledge of diet and decaf options is a bit more limited. :)

From my limited knowledge, your wife may struggle a little. We have the occasional Diet Coke, but I'm not aware of any decaf options. I'm sure there are other diet drinks, but I can't be specific.

There is the option of decaf coffee if that helps.

Anyone else able to comment on sugar free/diet/decaf options?

Wifey needs to know as she is ultra health conscious and caffeine sends her crazy!

You mean there's something other than alcohol on these ships? :eek:

Learn something new every day... :D

Wifey needs to know as she is ultra health conscious and caffeine sends her crazy!

NCL serves Pepsi products - no Coca Cola. :mad:

But what specifically? I think it is Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, and Club Soda.

Sierra Mist is caffeine free but I don't know if they have Diet Sierra Mist aboard.

Hi Keith

Nigel

Your long history of common law securing the rights of man. NCL cannot claim something is "free" and then charge a gratuity on it in the UK. They can pull that in the States because we've only been at this liberty thing for a couple hundred years.

Diet Sierra Mist is available, but not at every bar. It can be a bit tricky to track down, but some of the bars will have it. It's my go-to mixer on NCL since it's diet and caffeine-free. :)

I'm 100% sure the advice you have been given is correct but if you have the slightest lingering doubt I can kill it off by letting you know that I have an email from NCL UK confirming exactly what our CC friends here are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Keith

Nigel

I've just come off of Spirit - and my parents had the UBP free and I didn't.

However I had a glass of wine most nights, and my dad a whisky - my mum doesn't drink - so it would be better for me to have it rather than my mum!

However that being said - we just used my dads card and weren't charged for any drinks - including my mums pepsi!

We also didn't pay the 18% (we are also in the UK and booked via the UK site!)

The other thing we did - was on our 2014 cruise on Gem - we got the NCL drink containers for tea and/or cold drinks - we used them while on Spirit in one of the bars and they never swiped any cards and most days we used them for pepsi.