Oasis 9/5-12/2015 Eastern Full Review w/ Compasses

danny819

If you had to pick between Oasis/Allure/Harmony and is better to sail out of PC/Fl?

Me personally I would choose the Harmony because it's a newer ship with more technology not to mention three slides and a great kids area. I would leave out of Fort Lauderdale if I was flying but Port Canaveral if I was driving from the Louisiana.

If you had to pick between Oasis/Allure/Harmony and is better to sail out of PC/Fl?

I'd say it's different so sail from PC or PE, but "better" would be subjective. PE is much closer to the airport, many more places to choose from to eat, stay, and shop. However, it's a much more congested area than PC. We like PC because it's less congested, hotels are less expensive. The longer drive to the airport is not an issue for us.

Loving your review. Your daughter and her friend are such cuties...and so good to hear how much they enjoyed the cruise. It's great to hear too how accommodating RCL for anyone in a wheelchair. My mom was in one and know how much it is appreciated.

2015-09-08%2009.17.11-1.jpg

We woke up kind of late and met at Johnny Rockets for breakfast because we knew we could walk off the boat and we were doing all of our excursions today on our own. I would recommend Johnny Rockets for breakfast because they have everything that you would normally eat for breakfast and also they have different breakfast sandwiches like McMuffins and things along those lines. Very good especially when you get to sit outside enjoy the air on the boardwalk.

We exited the boat around 10:30 a.m. and walk to the shops that are right off the boat.

2015-09-08%2011.39.30.jpg

We rented a car through budget but found out the Budget Terminal was at the Havensight port. The Oasis docks at Crown Bay. So my buddy got in a taxi to go get the rental car. Well let's just say St Thomas has a lot of traffic on the main road to get to haven site port. We did not get in our rental car until almost noon by the time he got it and got back to where we were. So note that you need to make sure your rental car it's close to Crown Bay. It's very easy to get a taxi from the port because they're all lined up with prices on the wall per person. After we got in our yellow Jeep (5 adults, 2 toddlers, 2 strollers and my wheelchair!)

2015-09-08%2012.47.17.jpg

We headed to Magens Bay to drop our wives off with the kids for a beach day. You need a Jeep or something with 4 wheel drive to drive on this island because the hills are crazy! We got to Magens Bay and I think there was a $3 charge per person to enter the beach. Since I didn't stay at the beach I'll give you the rundown of what my wife said about it.

2015-09-08%2013.26.24-2.jpg

The beach is beautiful white sand, clear water, not very crowded and perfect just to lay in the water and relax or get a tan on the beach. The kids enjoyed it. There is trees if you need shade, there's also bathrooms and changing rooms. There was a place that you could order pizza that we found out a large pizza with drinks cost $40, but the convenience of it and the taste made it worth it!

This what the beach looked like after 3pm, secluded!

2015-09-08%2016.16.36.jpg

Now on to our self made Jeep tour. Just a tip, you might want to get a map of the islands and plan out your tour and not do it the way we did it. We picked up a map that morning and just went with it. We did use GPS along with the island map which did help. Another tip don't forget your phone will work fine on this island because it's Usa and it will charge you just like it would in the Usa. We went from Megans Bay up to "Drakes seat lookout" which is a great spot to overlook the island and take some very nice pictures. We then went to the famous "Mountain top" home of the world famous banana daiquiri.

Note Magens Bay is the white sand in the right portion of this pic.

2015-09-08%2013.56.15.jpg

Sorry I wish I could give you a review of the daiquiri but I don't drink. This place is really neat has lots and lots of souvenirs and anything along those lines including snacks drinks and Etc. This is the best place for pictures because you're high atop the island and can see down to Megan's Bay and on the other side you can see the ships. From here I'd love to tell you all the great things we got to see but to be honest we drove through miles and miles of up and down hills and had really no idea where we were but we did get to see glimpses of the beautiful oceans on all sides of the islands as we seem to be somewhat lost! At one point we must have ended up on the island side where everyone lives because we saw McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Home Depot and so on. We ended up picking up part of our other party from the excursion they did which was a catamaran and snorkel. I can tell you they enjoyed it but the snorkeling was actually better at the Blue Lagoon in Nassau. Once we picked them up back at Crown Bay we dropped them off around Havensight where there's lots of local shopping and cruise shopping. We then headed back to Megan's Bay because it was now after 4 to pick up the rest of the crew and head back to the ship.

Day 4 continued....

Day 2 Nassau 7am-2pm

2015-09-06%2006.25.47.jpg

My wife, my daughter, and 3 others from our party did the dolphin encounter at the Blue Lagoon and the rest of us did the beach package at the Blue Lagoon. Ok first let me say that in my opinion Nassau is not the best stop Royal Caribbean can offer in fact I believe Labadee is much better. Atlantis is way too expensive for the amount of time that you get to stay and that's why we did not do that excursion. Ok the Blue Lagoon Beach Break was $75 per person which is $20 more then what you pay if you do it straight through blue lagoons website. You also get more for your money by doing it through their website. Now here's the catch the boat that takes you to the Blue Lagoon is docked at Crown Bay about a two minute walk from the Oasis. It is only for Royal Caribbean excursions. If you book the excursion through the Blue Lagoon website you have to get a taxi to the Paradise Island stop to get on the boat that takes you to the island. So make sure you factor that in if you plan on doing the excursion on your own. Now the island was beautiful it had everything we needed.

2015-09-06%2010.25.38.jpg

They have Rentals and extras that you can rent. Plenty of shade hammocks chairs and the water is crystal clear and not very deep in the lagoon side.

P5230049-L.jpg

I would recommend this excursion to anyone especially families. There was very little people there and it was very enjoyable and not crowded at all. I apologize for the lack of pics of this excursion but I took mostly video. Search blue lagoon nassau on youtube and you'll see everything you need to. After you've been on the island for awhile remember te ferry departs at 11:30am & 12:30pm to go back so don't miss them! We waited and didn't eat the lunch until right at noon. Ok, I'm going to take a break and continue Day 2 soon.

Love Your Review

I want to book this excursion for my mom and myself. My mom can not walk, she is an amputee and has rheumatoid. How was it for you to board the ferry? Were there steps? Did you need to transfer? At Blue Lagoon were you able to get your wheelchair close to the water?

RCCL excursion website says "For guests who use collapsible wheelchairs or scooters. Guests must transfer from their wheelchair or scooter to board the motorcoach, usually 2 or 3 steps. Guests should be self-sufficient. If assistance is required, guests should travel with a companion.

I wrote to Blue Lagoon and they said," The majority of the island is wheelchair accessible. We have walkways that lead to the beach, through the island and of course docks near the animals. She will certainly be able to enjoy the island. Our ferries that take you over to blue lagoon are also large and wheelchair friendly. When booking, please let them know that you will have a wheelchair so that they can be best prepared for your arrival."

Thank You and Happy Sailing,

Debbie

:)

Theater Hints: I am actually going to write these directions down and take them along with us. I have never been anywhere near the front of this theater - and have always been directed to the back row. Thank you so much.

"Ok a side note for anybody in a wheelchair or that cant walk down stairs. When you enter in the theater on deck 4 stay to your right and follow the path way along the theater all the way until you see a door which will have a handicap symbol on it. Don't be scared, open the door go through it, make a left and you will see a glass elevator or let me say a hydraulic lift elevator that will take you down so you can sit in the front row of the theater and enjoy it like regular people get to. Don't worry because one of the staff actually said it didn't exist but which I smirked at and somehow found the same elevator that I always do and magically appeared in the front row!"

We'll be on the Oasis for Hallowe'en with our 2 granddaughters. I was wondering if the swim floatie that your daughter was wearing is the kind that's provided by the ship? It would save us packing swim vests if it was. Thanks for the info. I enjoyed your review.

Sharon

We'll be on the Oasis for Hallowe'en with our 2 granddaughters. I was wondering if the swim floatie that your daughter was wearing is the kind that's provided by the ship?

Yes that would be helpful! :) My husband, two kids (5 and 6) and myself will also be on the Halloween cruise. Can't wait!

Thanks Danny for your review! We are going on the Halloween cruise and can't wait!

My son is also 3. Did your little girl go to the Aquanauts? If so, did she like it?

Any tips on keeping him entertained?

thanks again!

My daughter was 3 the first time we took them on allure. She loved adventure ocean. This ship is beyond filled with things to do for little ones. We will be joining you on Oct 31 and both of our kids will be going to AO again.