Carnival Sunshine vs NCL Breakaway to Bermuda

ljinnc

Need comments / opinions regarding Sunshine from Norfolk VA vs NCL Breakaway from Manhatten NY. Visiting Bermuda in October and Sunshine Ocean Suite vs Breakaway Mini Suite. There is only a small difference in price and the Breakaway is a 7 day sailing, Sunshine is a 5 day sailing. Norfolk is much closer to home as well. Thanks for your help.

I would take a 7 day vs a 5 day almost any time - I have cruised on both CCL and NCL - different experiences, Breakaway much newer ship, not sure how different to cabins are, NCL cabins are usually much smaller the CCL in my experience. We are doing Sunshine on 8 day SO Caribbean, chose it for experience and ports.

First of all I would say go some other time of the year. Just returned from the 8 - day Carnival Sunshine cruise to Bermuda that got rerouted to Caribbean because of the hurricane. A Royal Caribbean cruise also got rerouted to Canada. Yes I do realize that this is hurricane season, however the rates for this cruise definitely didn't reflect hurricane season rates. This cruise was very pricey and even though we did receive some compensation it still didn't make up for the difference in price for an eastern caribbean cruise. The captain did a wonderful job and we had beautiful weather all 8 days, however, I would never book a premium cruise this time of the year again. The NCL Breakaway did get to port however had very rough seas for a couple of days. So maybe check in the springtime, when hurricanes aren't a threat. We booked this cruise over a year out as well as a lot of others we talked to onboard. Good Luck to you on your decision.

I would most definitely do the 7 day, 5 day is not worth it. I have done Bermuda twice, both were 7 days trips. I went on Breakaway May 2014 and it is a huge, new, great ship. It has it's pros and cons just like every ship. We enjoyed it. Bermuda is awesome. Sailing out of NY was also pretty cool! :D

Sunshine: OS $2812 for 2 pax for a 5 day cruise with 1 day and 7 hours in Bermuda.

Breakaway: Mini suite guarantee $2634 for 2 pax for 7 days with 2 days and 6 hours in Bermuda.

NCL is also offering $140 OBC and free drink package or free specialty package, free wifi or free excursion credit.

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Just my opinion:

The Breakaway is amazing.....and brand new. Arrogant staff? (as someone else posted) We found the staff to be wonderful. :)

Change dates? (as someone posted). Hurricane season is June thru November. That is HALF the year. I think the cruise line industry would be out of business if every one did not cruise in hurricane season. We usually cruise September, October, and November, when all of the kids are back in school. Have NEVER even hit a tropical storm.

The Sunshine? No, I have not been on that particular ship, but it is sooooo old. It used to be called the Destiny, but changed the name after refurbishment. I think Carnival thought if they changed the name, everyone would think it was a "new" ship.

Five days as opposed to 7? 7.....HANDS DOWN. A five day cruise is too short. Not enough time....and just 1 overnight. You need at least two overnights in port in Bermuda. There is just sooooo much to see and do..

The eateries on the Breakaway are unbelievable. They even have a O'Sheenans, which is a VERY large restaurant open 24 hours a day.

We loved going to different "no fee" restaurants every night. There are even a couple that you sit outside and eat "el fresco" watching the sea as you enjoy your meal.

Jazz club....AMAZING...

Am I trying to sell you NCL over Carnival? No, I am not. I enjoy Carnival also, but with the two options you have stated, HANDS DOWN, the Breakaway.

Good luck in what ever you decide. :o

Edited by champagne123
sssss

Breakaway. You know if there is a hurricane you will still make it there as it is a bigger ship. On Carnival its a smaller ship so might have to be rerouted if there's a hurricane to a different itinerary which would be disappointing if you were expecting to go to Bermuda.

We have never been on either ship but did cruise to Bermuda out of Boston on the NCL Dawn last year. NCL would not be high on our list of lines to cruise with again. The cabin was smaller, the food was ok at best and many of the staff were not the friendliest we have encountered.

We have never been on either ship but did cruise to Bermuda out of Boston on the NCL Dawn last year. NCL would not be high on our list of lines to cruise with again. The cabin was smaller, the food was ok at best and many of the staff were not the friendliest we have encountered.

I have read and heard that the Dawn is not a great ship...BUT....you cannot compare the Dawn to the BREAKAWAY....two totally different worlds. I wouldn't sail the Dawn if it was given to me for FREE. :D

ps..I see you are going on the Glory....GREAT ship

Edited by champagne123
cccc

Sunshine: OS $2812 for 2 pax for a 5 day cruise with 1 day and 7 hours in Bermuda.

Breakaway: Mini suite guarantee $2634 for 2 pax for 7 days with 2 days and 6 hours in Bermuda.

NCL is also offering $140 OBC and free drink package or free specialty package, free wifi or free excursion credit.

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Oh gosh!!! I would hands down do the NCL cruise! Longer cruises are always better in my opinion, especially if you are able to do the longer cruise. Plus, you get more time in Bermuda which would also sway me to go with the longer one too.

Never sailed either but a longer cruise for same/lower price would be my choice. I saw a few comments about the sunshine being older. The ship itself is old but did they not refurbish all of the public areas and cabins with all new stuff?

Bermuda in October is tough, really cannot go into the water but we have been on Breakaway and the entertainment blows any Carnival has out of the water, so much fun. They also have a cool sitdown pub which is great for lunch

I'm biased - I've booked a balcony cabin, 175 sq ft, on the Breakaway for next May to Bermuda. One gets a choice between a free drinks package, or paid gratuities, or free every night specialty dining in a different restaurant every night.

My 2 NCL Epic cruises had extraordinary entertainment, CCL has Hasbro.

Sailaway down the Hudson with the Manhattan skyline including the Chrysler Building, the Empire State Bldg, the Freedom Tower, across the way the Statue of Liberty _ come on now, there's nothing better.

Edited by evandbob

Thanks for all the comments, they will be very useful in helping us decide. I am a little aprehensive about sailing from NY. I am a southerner and have never been to NYC and although I'd like to go I'm also just a little afraid of NYC. I guess it's TV that gave me that. But sailing past the city skyline and the statue of liberty would be great. Always wanted to take an Amtrak ride and considering taking the Amtrak from NC to Penn Station to catch the ship. I've driven in Chicago but never anywhere as large as NYC.

Thanks for all the comments, they will be very useful in helping us decide. I am a little aprehensive about sailing from NY. I am a southerner and have never been to NYC and although I'd like to go I'm also just a little afraid of NYC. I guess it's TV that gave me that. But sailing past the city skyline and the statue of liberty would be great. Always wanted to take an Amtrak ride and considering taking the Amtrak from NC to Penn Station to catch the ship. I've driven in Chicago but never anywhere as large as NYC.

If you decide to go on the Breakaway from NYC, I totally understand your apprehension....but if you take Amtrak into Penn Station, you just jump in a 5 or 10 minute cab ride to the port. It may seem overwhelming, but it is very easy. Are you coming into NY the day of the cruise or the day before?

If we come by train it would have to be the day before. I would love to arrive a couple days early and explore the city highlights some. I'm feeling better about visiting since some coworkers said they have been and really enjoyed seeing it.