Gratuities

gliles

I know, you are all grabbing your popcorn. The deal we got with our TA said "Tips Included" and we are leaving from Australia so now I am wondering if that's the same as Prepaid tips? The whole Australia thing confuses me and it's an online TA and while I am really happy with them and have been for many cruises, I am not sure they understand my question and I'd like your thoughts. We are generally overtippers in our home life and on cruises we never remove the auto tips and we tip extra for every drink and meal and of course room service as well as daily for the room but we also like to try to pay for everything big in advance so we come back with no vacation debt like we did when we were younger. Feels good. So can anyone explain to me the deal with the tips for Australia cruises? We are US and our TA is US. Thanks.

Ask the TA for Royal's Guest Copy of your booking confirmation. That should confirm if you have prepaid tips.

I have that and it says "Tips Included" but I can't really discern if that's the same as prepaid. I just want to plan appropriately.

Thanks though.

I have that and it says "Tips Included" but I can't really discern if that's the same as prepaid. I just want to plan appropriately.

Thanks though.

This is Royal's invoice, not a travel agent's? If so, I've not seen that terminology. Could be it's different for Australian cruises. Could be tips are included in the price of the cruise and not a separate line item. If it's really Royal's invoice, then the tips are included and you've got nothing to worry about.

This is Royal's invoice, not a travel agent's? If so, I've not seen that terminology. Could be it's different for Australian cruises. Could be tips are included in the price of the cruise and not a separate line item. If it's really Royal's invoice, then the tips are included and you've got nothing to worry about.

We always book through our local TA and pay prepaid gratuitys.

On the RC confirmation it actually shows the £amount we have paid under prepaid gratuitys.

There has never been any confusion and RC have never tried to add on autotips on the ship so they obviously have a system in place that they know who has prepaid their tips.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Yes it's different in Australia. The published cruise fare already includes full gratuities. For example in the US it might say (I'm making up the numbers)

Cruise Fare $1500

Gratuities $500

Total = $2000

In Australia it will say

Cruise Fare $2000

*Service charges for dining staff and stateroom attendants are included in your fare

But this is usually only for cruises booked in Australia, priced in Australian dollars. I'm a bit surprised that you're getting this from a US agent

... But this is usually only for cruises booked in Australia, priced in Australian dollars. I'm a bit surprised that you're getting this from a US agent

This part was my confusion. I've also never heard that with a cruise priced in USD.

Seems to me that "tips included" means that the cruise fare or promotion includes tips. "Prepaid" tips are separate because you are actually paying them, they aren't part of the promotion of fare. Reading the OP's post, it appears that they were booked under a promotion that included gratuities. I would take the invoice with me that shows payment and promotion and includes the words "tips included" and if they try adding tips to the daily account, show them the invoice.

Yes it's different in Australia. The published cruise fare already includes full gratuities. For example in the US it might say (I'm making up the numbers)

Cruise Fare $1500

Gratuities $500

Total = $2000

In Australia it will say

Cruise Fare $2000

*Service charges for dining staff and stateroom attendants are included in your fare

But this is usually only for cruises booked in Australia, priced in Australian dollars. I'm a bit surprised that you're getting this from a US agent

Seems some lines are doing this also for cruises booked in Europe. Wish everyone did this.

Service Charge - Costa Germany - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Your minimum tips are included in your fare.

I've done two cruises, both where I voluntarily "prepaid" tips. Read this as I could have gone to Guest Services and removed them.

The recent change in Australia means that these "prepaid" tips are included as part of the cruise fare so in theory you can't go and get them removed. In theory. I haven't (and wouldn't) attempt it myself.

Don't be alarmed, all your tips are covered. If you wish to tip above RCL's "suggested" tips that you have already paid for, go ahead. I'm sure the crew would love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums