Concerned about Zika virus??

crazyboutdisney

Every time I turn on the news, all I hear about is the Zika virus. At first I wasnt concerned because they said only pregnant women or any one trying to get pregnant were at risk. Now it seems to be involving into everyone is at risk. Am I the only one starting to get a bit concerned??

Every time I turn on the news, all I hear about is the Zika virus. At first I wasnt concerned because they said only pregnant women or any one trying to get pregnant were at risk. Now it seems to be involving into everyone is at risk. Am I the only one starting to get a bit concerned??

Nope, not concerned at all.

I'm 54, so not planning on getting pregnant. :eek:

According to Dr. Rich Besser on GMA, most people (not pregnant) who contract Zika won't have any symptoms at all. Those that do might have mild flu-like symptoms.

I havent been that concerned about it either but when they just keep talking about it, it starts a bit of hysteria. It is good to be informed, and I now plan on taking bug spray which isnt something we normally worry about too much. I also dont plan on getting pregnant at my young age of 47 lol

It is not hysteria for people who may be pregnant or who will be coming home to pregnant family or friends.

I am wondering how long the incubation period is and how long the infected remain contagious.

After a bit of googling, the incubation period seems to be from 3 to 12 days.

A person can be infected and show no symptoms, but still may pass the virus to a mosquito or in body fluids for 20 days.

Which seems to mean that a person could possibly pass on the virus for 30 days after they come back from the Caribbean.

But they don't really know.

We have a cruise planned for this spring and I am kind of glad that I do not have any pregnant folk in my family...

Oh, It did not take long for West Nile to infest our neighborhood.

I had a friend who died from West Nile last year.

So I'm not freaking out about zika, but I don't take anything like this lightly.

Edited by mzloolue

It is not hysteria for people who may be pregnant or who will be coming home to pregnant family or friends.

I am wondering how long the incubation period is and how long the infected remain contageous.

About the same as most viruses, 7-14 days incubation and infectious for about 2 weeks after that. So those that so no care about it will bring it back to the states and infect other people. Out of the 52 cases in the US right now all but one was brought in by the carrier.

My wife and I aren't worried.

Just like we weren't/ aren't worried about Swine Flu, Ebola, or West Nile.

I am not that worried about the zika too much, but I did worry about Ebola. My husband works in west Africa lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it seems you would have no problem helping spread it around then?

I'm not going to cancel all my cruises because of this. If you deem that as somehow being synonymous with being okay as an outbreak monkey...I can't say I see where that line is being drawn from a logical standpoint.

I am not that worried about the zika too much, but I did worry about Ebola. My husband works in west Africa lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see why you'd be worried! That was a scary time over there.

The symptoms are mild flu like and so I'd just take normal anti mosquito precautions and not worry about it.

There are much worse mosquito borne illnesses out there!

IF you are pregnant then that is a different story as the illness can affect your baby!

IMHO, another flu scare so they can develop another vaccine. A lot of money to be made in vaccines, create hysteria, everyone runs to get their shot!

Pat

I totally agree!! I've even read articles that this is a government made virus. I don't know if that is true or not but I wouldn't doubt it.

Read this description of Guillain-Barre. It is a disease associated with Zika Virus. Sure, not everyone who is bitten will get this condition but it sure is not something I'd wish to expose myself to. :eek:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+guillan-barre&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=

Lot of scaremongering going on. Lots of "would" "could" "may" in the media stories. I just wonder how all these people who have it in the USA Spain etc. Were diagnosed so quickly:confused:

Covering up can't prevent bites completely, unless you wear a burka. Husband was bitten on the cheek in Puerto Rico.

Don't forget this virus has been around for decades.

Lot of scaremongering going on. Lots of "would" "could" "may" in the media stories. I just wonder how all these people who have it in the USA Spain etc. Were diagnosed so quickly:confused:

Covering up can't prevent bites completely, unless you wear a burka. Husband was bitten on the cheek in Puerto Rico.

Don't forget this virus has been around for decades.

They were diagnosed because, while there is no known treatment (yet), there is a reliable test. I could be wrong but I think it is a simple blood test. If it is not diagnosed fast in those who have mild or no symptoms, it won't be as it is out of the system in about 2 weeks.

Edited by sail7seas