Concerned about Zika virus??

crazyboutdisney

maybe the cruise lines should cancel all cruises going to areas that have the zika virus just like with ebola & swine flu etc...

Doubtful that would happen...where would they send all those ships or do you suggest :confused:

IMHO, another flu scare so they can develop another vaccine. A lot of money to be made in vaccines, create hysteria, everyone runs to get their shot!

Pat

Thank god for vaccines . . . Polio, small pox, measles and on and on.

Well, it is a concern if the Red Cross is not allowing anyone who's traveled to any of the infected areas to give blood for three weeks after they return home. Don't think they'd be doing this if it was only mass hysteria.

IMHO, another flu scare so they can develop another vaccine. A lot of money to be made in vaccines, create hysteria, everyone runs to get their shot!

Pat

35,000 people die each year of the flu in the US. I think it is a great idea to get the vaccine and I think people underestimate how dangerous the flu can be.

However, I don't think that we really know enough about the Zika virus to totally understand what impact it will have. Right now it makes sense for pregnant and potentially pregnant people to be cautious. I am glad that the CDC is communicating frequently about what they do know, rather than keeping that knowledge hidden

I totally agree!! I've even read articles that this is a government made virus. I don't know if that is true or not but I wouldn't doubt it.

Why on earth would the goverment of Brazil create a virus that would cause 4500 microcephalic babies to be born in just one year? Those babies will be invalids all their lives. They will have extremely difficult lives and will be dependent on their families as long as they live.

I can't see any upside for a government to create such a damaging virus, besides which the virus is absolutely impossible to control and could come back to damage members of the very government that supposedly created it. However,there are always those who spread conspiracy theories.

Well, it is a concern if the Red Cross is not allowing anyone who's traveled to any of the infected areas to give blood for three weeks after they return home. Don't think they'd be doing this if it was only mass hysteria.

Darcie -- that's not surprising. Don't know if it's still the case, but they used to ban blood donors who'd been to Labadee (part of Haiti), due to the endemic malaria there. :eek:

I totally agree!! I've even read articles that this is a government made virus. I don't know if that is true or not but I wouldn't doubt it.

You don't know yet you wouldn't doubt it. Humm... interesting. Explain to me how this work.

maybe the cruise lines should cancel all cruises going to areas that have the zika virus just like with ebola & swine flu etc...

I don't think that creating more poverty in the places affected by Zika by canceling ships is the answer. Contributing to the mosquito erradification efforts is something that they should be doing though IMHO. This would definitely be in their best interest as well.

I am a little confused about what I have read concerning the Zika.. We are scheduled for our honeymoon cruises to the Caribbean In April, including stops in Curaçao, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, And Aruba.

I understand that if I were pregnant, and got bitten by an infected mosquito could (possibly/maybe/speculatively) cause microcephaly.

I also understand that, if infected, this virus would/should be out of my system in about a month's time.

So, my husband and I were planning to try for a baby around fall time. If I had gotten bitten, it SHOULD be out of my blood by then, right?

I'm just a little confused by the whole 'don't get pregnant for 2 years part', and am thinking that warning is primarily for those in areas such as Brazil, as there is a higher likelihood of getting bitten during pregnancy.

I appreciate any clarification anyone can provide! I have read so many articles, but can't seem to find the clarity I need about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am a little confused about what I have read concerning the Zika.. We are scheduled for our honeymoon cruises to the Caribbean In April, including stops in Curaçao, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, And Aruba.

I understand that if I were pregnant, and got bitten by an infected mosquito could (possibly/maybe/speculatively) cause microcephaly.

I also understand that, if infected, this virus would/should be out of my system in about a month's time.

So, my husband and I were planning to try for a baby around fall time. If I had gotten bitten, it SHOULD be out of my blood by then, right?

I'm just a little confused by the whole 'don't get pregnant for 2 years part', and am thinking that warning is primarily for those in areas such as Brazil, as there is a higher likelihood of getting bitten during pregnancy.

I appreciate any clarification anyone can provide! I have read so many articles, but can't seem to find the clarity I need about this.

Yes, the virus can linger a month or more in blood or semen. You should be fine to think about getting pregnant in the Fall.

The "two year, no pregnancy" warning is for people who live in endemic areas. My understanding is that they hope to either have the mosquitos under control by then or that they will have a better handle on controlling the disease.

Please do not depend upon any response you get on an internet forum for such an important question.

This question belongs asked to an ObGyn who, presumably, is up to date on all the latest information available about Zika.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Yes, the virus can linger a month or more in blood or semen. You should be fine to think about getting pregnant in the Fall.

The "two year, no pregnancy" warning is for people who live in endemic areas. My understanding is that they hope to either have the mosquitos under control by then or that they will have a better handle on controlling the disease.

Thanks.. That is how I was interpreting it also, but wanted to make sure. Appreciate it!

Please do not depend upon any response you get on an internet forum for such an important question.

This question belongs asked to an ObGyn who, presumably, is up to date on all the latest information available about Zika.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Yes, I left a message with my doctor Friday, hoping to hear back soon. She is definitely the authority on the subject, but I am a little antsy waiting over the weekend. Thank you!