POLL: What is the reason behind formal nights?

What do you believe is the real "purpose" of formal nights?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe is the real "purpose" of formal nights?

• To provide a guests an elegant experience
    • To sell photos

I voted for the photos. The photographers are set up outside the MDR to take formal portraits. They then go into the MDR to take your photo while eating dinner. They're still available outside the MDR and/or Centrum to take more photos.

Then there's the Captain's Reception. They'll take your photo with the Captain if you wish. You're more likely to buy one if you're dressed in formal wear. On the Jewel there were two lines going into the Safari Club, one for a photo with the Captain and the other was the bypass line direct into the reception. Of course I chose to bypass the long photo line so I could get one of the few seats left (standing room only for most). As I walked by the Captain I noticed he was smiling at us in the bypass line in between photos. Less photos with him means less flashes to endure and gets the reception started quicker. I think he even mentioned it in his speech during the reception, but that was a few years ago.

There are really no "conspiracies." Formal Night isn't about "selling photos." As many have said, it's traditional. Goes back to the early days of cruising.

People who rationalize their dislike for Formal Night with the commonly used line "gee, if the waiters dressed with white gloves, if they put better china on the table, if they made it a truly elegant night, I'd do it. But they don't so I don't," are the same people who would say "gee, if they set up photographers on Formal Night so we could get a variety of nice pictures in our Formals, I'd do it." Just take away the multiple photo ops, and see the comments. "Royal Caribbean doesn't even care about Formal Night, they don't even offer lots of opportunities for pictures. If I'm going to get all dressed up I want photos of it!"

Yeah.... I can see it now. No photos... another excuse for "no Formal."

There used to be a bunch of whining about getting harassed on the pool deck by bar waiters. Now the whining is "gee, there aren't any bar waiters. I have to get off my keester and actually walk to a bar." Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Formal Night... do it...don't do it.....your choice. Photos..... get them.....don't get them...your choice. It's just an opportunity for those who want it.

Formal Night... do it...don't do it.....your choice. Photos..... get them.....don't get them...your choice. It's just an opportunity for those who want it.

Good post! It's all good! It is about revenue but it's also about making ppl happy in the process - if that were not happening [ making ppl happy] there would be no revenue to be gained. I don't think I have EVER purchased a picture, BUT I love formal nights and the chance to dress up and feel special.

This is a spin-off from another thread, so I'm hoping you all can humor me...what do you think is the main "purpose" behin formal nights? To provide guests with an elegent nighttime experience...or to sell photos?

The RCI constant reduction in Formal nights, just leaves sufficient elegant nights for those who have respect for tradition, and their fellow guests, to practise the wearing formal attire prior to moving to Cunard. :D

The RCI constant reduction in Formal nights, just leaves sufficient elegant nights for those who have respect for tradition, and their fellow guests, to practise the wearing formal attire prior to moving to Cunard. :D

And there it is, the tired canard of "respect". Sooner or later the notion of respect is always trotted out in these discussions. What is the point?

People who rationalize their dislike for Formal Night with the commonly used line "gee, if the waiters dressed with white gloves, if they put better china on the table, if they made it a truly elegant night, I'd do it. But they don't so I don't," are the same people who would say "gee, if they set up photographers on Formal Night so we could get a variety of nice pictures in our Formals, I'd do it." Just take away the multiple photo ops, and see the comments. "Royal Caribbean doesn't even care about Formal Night, they don't even offer lots of opportunities for pictures. If I'm going to get all dressed up I want photos of it!"

Yeah.... I can see it now. No photos... another excuse for "no Formal."

You know what they say about making assumptions...

Dressing formally for dinner comes from what cruising used to be. It's tradition, although back in the day it's just the way it was done - you dressed for dinner.

On my last cruise, the photographers were set up for pictures with backdrops virtually every night - not just on formal night.

Dressing formally for dinner comes from what cruising used to be. It's tradition, although back in the day it's just the way it was done - you dressed for dinner.

Dressing for Dinner on Cunard is the way it is now, not what it used to be.

You will be welcomed on Cunard ;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

You need a "Both" option. That's likely the most accurate.

Tom

^^^^ Exactly. Obviously the answer is both. They offer it because it's tradition and many cruisers like it. But of course it's also a revenue opportunity they won't pass up. That said, if not for selling the photos, formal nights would have gone away already IMO.

Let's face it, the cruise lines aren't shy about getting rid of "traditions" that aren't direct revenue generators.

Formal nights and cruising have always gone hand and hand and their formaility have lessened as cruising has become more affordable for the masses.

Think of the "golden age" of cruising, i.e., Titantic, Cunard, etc. when every night was a formal night. Passengers who sailed were wealthy and just continued their land based traditions of dressing for dinner on board the ship. Dinner was truly an elegant affair and no way would you be admitted to dine if you were not properly dressed.

Afternoon tea was also an elegant event. Now, some passengers want their experience to be about as regal as a frat party. :(

You want to be casual 24/7, go to the Windjammer! Formal nights should be available for those who want to dress up.

MARAPRINCE

Formal nights and cruising have always gone hand and hand and their formaility have lessened as cruising has become more affordable for the masses.

Think of the "golden age" of cruising, i.e., Titantic, Cunard, etc. when every night was a formal night. Passengers who sailed were wealthy and just continued their land based traditions of dressing for dinner on board the ship. Dinner was truly an elegant affair and no way would you be admitted to dine if you were not properly dressed.

Afternoon tea was also an elegant event. Now, some passengers want their experience to be about as regal as a frat party. :(

You want to be casual 24/7, go to the Windjammer! Formal nights should be available for those who want to dress up.

MARAPRINCE

We choose dining venues based on food offerings, not clothing theme.

I agree people should dress up if they want to. That will always be allowed.

Edited by LMaxwell

That said modern travel is all about the cheapest way to do things. I am as guilty as anyone. In the golden days the uber rich travelled to far off places on ships, now anyone who can squirrel away a couple of months pay can do what a 100 years ago only dukes and duchesses could do. We are so rich as a world that what would have been unattainable a 100 years ago for 99% of the planet any of us that is on the government dole or who has a full-time job can now do. It is super awesome to be poor in 2015 as compared to 1815... just saying.

jc

Well said JC.

When we first began cruising in the late 90s I adored the whole 'Posh Frock' night. Over the years we have been very fortunate to go on many cruises and the glam thing has palled a little. A combination of age and airline changes mean we want to travel lighter.

As it happens, we have cruised twice on Azamara and loved that we didn't have to pack really formal clothes.

One of the delightful things we love about formal photos is to look back at ourselves over the years. You can see yourselves age gracefully. A little more gray, a few more pounds. But we are absolutely beautiful/handsome in every photo. I'm so glad we dressed up and now have this lovely record.

Well said JC.

When we first began cruising in the late 90s I adored the whole 'Posh Frock' night. Over the years we have been very fortunate to go on many cruises and the glam thing has palled a little. A combination of age and airline changes mean we want to travel lighter.

As it happens, we have cruised twice on Azamara and loved that we didn't have to pack really formal clothes.

Hi Corinne, tell John Hi.

I was just thinking that our roll call in 07 on the Navigator was like the last really good roll-call I participated in. Good group.

You should join us in May we are sailing the Navigator again to Norway. You and John can watch me surf and freeze my bottom off.

jc

This is a spin-off from another thread, so I'm hoping you all can humor me...what do you think is the main "purpose" behin formal nights? To provide guests with an elegent nighttime experience...or to sell photos?
Will waste my time on one post here....Surely you have something better to ponder??....:rolleyes::rolleyes: