SOS - Convince the skeptics?

I'm in charge of planning an upcoming family reunion cruise next year over Thankgiving break. What are some good PROS to cruising as a group for a family reunion to convince the skeptics in our group that aren't so sure about a cruise for a family reunion? I want maximum participation and everyone totally ready to book their stateroom this month :D need good ammunition to get them to cruise!

PS. I tried searching all threads and didn't get exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe some more facts can help to provide you with some good PROS.

How many people, age range, itinerary in mind, length of cruise, type of ship.

There is a lot of people celebrating birthday, wedding etc at a cruise, and personally I think it's a great idea - I have celebrated one of my birthdays on a cruise. Some scepticism

Important that it is well planned - use TA as recommended by clarea, - dining, activities on board etc...

PROS:

-Everyone is together, yet there are plenty of opportunities to break into smaller groups or get away from people.

-Lots of different activities for all different ages.

-A cruise (at least on RCCL) fits a broad range of personality types, from the party-type people to the person who just wants to quietly read/relax.

-It's a very "easy" vacation, in that everything for the week is laid out for you, no traveling to/from restaurants, dealing with rental cars, etc.

-Probably a better value than a land based vacation (well, maybe not over Thanksgiving...)

-No one has to host, shop, or cook Thanksgiving!!! Best reason of all.

Hope you can convince them!!

Edited by micmacmissy

I like to tell people that a cruise is the perfect vacation because you can do as much or as little as you want -- there's something for everyone.

Some people like to be busy-busy-busy all the time, going from activity to activity -- and there are always demonstrations or trivia games or port lectures or something of the sort going on. Others like to just relax with a book or sleep in the sun or laze about in the hot tubs -- and there are always places to do those, too. And if there are children involved, the kiddie programs are awesome, too.

You can meet up for meals or for a particular activity during the day to get the Big Group Togetherness Feeling, and you can split off into sub-groups to do different activities that allow for true togetherness where you can talk to each other and share experiences that will be memories for a lifetime.

PROS:

-Everyone is together, yet there are plenty of opportunities to break into smaller groups or get away from people.

-Lots of different activities for all different ages.

-A cruise (at least on RCCL) fits a broad range of personality types, from the party-type people to the person who just wants to quietly read/relax.

-It's a very "easy" vacation, in that everything for the week is laid out for you, no traveling to/from restaurants, dealing with rental cars, etc.

-Probably a better value than a land based vacation (well, maybe not over Thanksgiving...)

-No one has to host, shop, or cook Thanksgiving!!! Best reason of all.

Hope you can convince them!!

I hope I can convince everyone too! I'm hoping that all the ladies in our group will see NO COOKING, NO CLEANING and immediately be convinced ;)

These are great ideas, thanks! Any suggestions for the skeptics that are concerned about seasickness?

No way to guarantee someone won't get seasick, But it's not like they'll be out on a 30 foot fishing boat rocking and rolling in the waves. The modern ships are so large there's really not that much movement. And the sea bands or medicines work fine for most people.

IMO a cruise is the IDEAL big group vacation. Like someone else said, you're together but can still go do your own thing when you want to.

And it eliminates one of the classic group vacation headaches:

"So where do you guys eat to eat tonight"

"I don't know, whatever you guys want is fine"

"How about xyz?"

"Nah, grandma doesn't like seafood and little Jenny is allergic to any food made from any carbon-based life form."

"Ummmmmmm...."

:D

Just to provide a little encouragement, the skeptics in our family that did the most kicking and screaming when we first started family reunion cruises several years ago, are the ones that look forward to them the most now! :) Our reunions are every other year...land...sea...land...sea.

Last year was a cruise on the Oasis, next year will be land - Washington DC!

We've sailed Sovereign (twice), Liberty, and the Oasis!

We do the MDR together for dinner, encouraging those interested to do the specialty restaurants if they so desire; we pick a port to do an entire family excursion together; we pick a venue on the ship to participate in together (i.e. trivia, flowrider, etc.) and finally, we pick a family meeting time and place to decide our next family reunion.

No pressure on anyone seems to work wonders. Oh yes, we decide what day(s) to wear the reunion t-shirt and even the ones that grumble about the color chosen for that particular year have to grudgingly admit they are totally proud to wear the shirts and enjoy themselves.

Good luck, I wish you the greatest success. Remember it all seems chaotic in the making and results in memories that will last a lifetime! :)

We did a family cruise on the Jewel a few years ago over Thanksgiving to celebrate my folks' 50th anniversary and it was wonderful. We had a few skeptics in the group, who are also now asking, "when is the next cruise?"

There were 12 of us, so not a huge group. 7 adults and 5 kids. Everyone did his or her own thing during the day, for the most part, but we also got together for dinner in the MDR. Adults at one table and the kids next to us, and after the first night we were able to get the same waiter/assistant waiter for both tables, which worked out great. I think my mom really appreciated not having to make the big turkey dinner that year.

The oldest 'kid' was 15, and quickly found a group of friends to hang with. None of the kids used any kids center or teen center.

The adults had one meal in Chops, which was wonderful. The younger set (ages 9-15) did the MDR by themselves that night, and according to our great waitstaff, were perfectly behaved (as we were sure they would be!)

Sorry - this got a little long - but count me as another vote saying that a cruise can be a great venue for a family reunion, for all the reasons already stated. Lots of time to spend together, or not - the kids can only get 'so far' away from you, lots of activities from which to choose...I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Just to provide a little encouragement, the skeptics in our family that did the most kicking and screaming when we first started family reunion cruises several years ago, are the ones that look forward to them the most now! :) Our reunions are every other year...land...sea...land...sea.

No pressure on anyone seems to work wonders. Oh yes, we decide what day(s) to wear the reunion t-shirt and even the ones that grumble about the color chosen for that particular year have to grudgingly admit they are totally proud to wear the shirts and enjoy themselves.

Too funny, gotta have a skeptic, they always have something interesting to say and become entertainment when they "see the light"!

Where did you order your tshirts for your reunion? Do you have a photo?

We did a family cruise on the Jewel a few years ago over Thanksgiving to celebrate my folks' 50th anniversary and it was wonderful. We had a few skeptics in the group, who are also now asking, "when is the next cruise?"

There were 12 of us, so not a huge group. 7 adults and 5 kids. Everyone did his or her own thing during the day, for the most part, but we also got together for dinner in the MDR. Adults at one table and the kids next to us, and after the first night we were able to get the same waiter/assistant waiter for both tables, which worked out great. I think my mom really appreciated not having to make the big turkey dinner that year.

The oldest 'kid' was 15, and quickly found a group of friends to hang with. None of the kids used any kids center or teen center.

The adults had one meal in Chops, which was wonderful. The younger set (ages 9-15) did the MDR by themselves that night, and according to our great waitstaff, were perfectly behaved (as we were sure they would be!)

Sorry - this got a little long - but count me as another vote saying that a cruise can be a great venue for a family reunion, for all the reasons already stated. Lots of time to spend together, or not - the kids can only get 'so far' away from you, lots of activities from which to choose...I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Love this, what great feedback, hope to have as much success planning my family's cruise as you did with yours! Great idea about the adults getting together at the specialty restaurant and the kiddos at the MDR.

Too funny, gotta have a skeptic, they always have something interesting to say and become entertainment when they "see the light"!

We used these folks: http://www.clothesline.net/

I will upload pix for you tomorrow morning (Saturday)! :)

First (if possible) I would consider the ship; I would say try to get on a Voyager class or larger and if it is a Voyager class, make sure it is one with a FlowRider (Navigator has one now and I think Adventure is getting one late 2016, not sure on the others). With those ships, you have the Royal Promenade, Ice Rink, Flowrider, plus the amenities found on all the ships (rock climbing, theater, pools, spa, workout facilities). If you splurge on an Oasis class you gain the zip line, Aqua Theater, central park, the boardwalk, and more.

Next could be departure ports - I see you are in Alaska and will probably be flying to wherever the ship departs from. Is there a location that is closer to more family members that they could drive to the port? If most are flying, you obviously have more choices in Florida, but don't rule out San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is like adding another port stop either before or after your cruise and hasn't been any more expensive than flying to Florida (at least for me).

I've seen the idea that parents don't have to worry so much about their kids because even while they might be off on their own, they still can't roam farther than the ship.

Have everyone pack at least one outfit for formal night. Get your whole group together for a large family picture where everyone is looking their best.

A cruise also has the advantage that you get to explore multiple locations without leaving your hotel behind. You can see three cities in a week and not have to pile into a car for hours on end.

Do not pick an itinerary with more than three port stops unless a fourth stop is either Coco Cay or Labadee. You want your family to see some exotic places but not get burned out doing so.

You haven't mentioned a ship? Don't forget get the ships are big and spaces not used all 24/7 like Crown Vik empty during the day and your family could have board game playoffs or cards or insert! With an amazing view. Don't know if anyone likes guitar hero but they are usually there in the arcade!

Depending on ship just off Liberty! I saw a mini cirque show, went to a 70's party, white party, an ice show and Saturday night fever production! I heard a nice country band and rock band, dancing and so much more! No one had to drive home that night[emoji41]!

Who wouldn't be excited to watch the football games on the big screen in the pool or jacuzzi! Again no driving home.

Have fun!

When sailing with a group, everyone can pick & choose what they wish to do, so there maybe times when your going in differant directions which is great. I call it our Down time wherre you have time to yourselves.:) Not everyone maybe interested in the same tours or activities, we did this on our last cruise with our daughter and my SIL then planned to meet up for lunch. As others have mentioned, I recommend a TA and they can do all the arranging for you. have a great time.

First (if possible) I would consider the ship; I would say try to get on a Voyager class or larger and if it is a Voyager class, make sure it is one with a FlowRider (Navigator has one now and I think Adventure is getting one late 2016, not sure on the others). With those ships, you have the Royal Promenade, Ice Rink, Flowrider, plus the amenities found on all the ships (rock climbing, theater, pools, spa, workout facilities). If you splurge on an Oasis class you gain the zip line, Aqua Theater, central park, the boardwalk, and more.

Next could be departure ports - I see you are in Alaska and will probably be flying to wherever the ship departs from. Is there a location that is closer to more family members that they could drive to the port? If most are flying, you obviously have more choices in Florida, but don't rule out San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is like adding another port stop either before or after your cruise and hasn't been any more expensive than flying to Florida (at least for me).

I've seen the idea that parents don't have to worry so much about their kids because even while they might be off on their own, they still can't roam farther than the ship.

Have everyone pack at least one outfit for formal night. Get your whole group together for a large family picture where everyone is looking their best.

A cruise also has the advantage that you get to explore multiple locations without leaving your hotel behind. You can see three cities in a week and not have to pile into a car for hours on end.

Do not pick an itinerary with more than three port stops unless a fourth stop is either Coco Cay or Labadee. You want your family to see some exotic places but not get burned out doing so.

Some of us are in Alaska, but there are other family members in California, Texas, Ohio and North Carolina, so for us, flying is just part of the plan and we accept it. All of the choices we have are three ports, one choice has two (4 nighter). We are voting right now so should have our top itinerary picked by late next week. San Juan didn't have the right dates, but we did consider it. Good tips, thanks for sharing!

You haven't mentioned a ship? Don't forget get the ships are big and spaces not used all 24/7 like Crown Vik empty during the day and your family could have board game playoffs or cards or insert! With an amazing view. Don't know if anyone likes guitar hero but they are usually there in the arcade!

We haven't made our group reservation as our group is voting on four different itineraries right now. Hoping to have a decision made by late next week so I can put a deposit down for our staterooms, eeekkk! :p:D

Good points about the lounges for meeting space for our group, we'll definitely need a few spaces like that besides our evening meals in the MDR together.

When sailing with a group, everyone can pick & choose what they wish to do, so there maybe times when your going in differant directions which is great. I call it our Down time wherre you have time to yourselves.:) Not everyone maybe interested in the same tours or activities, we did this on our last cruise with our daughter and my SIL then planned to meet up for lunch. As others have mentioned, I recommend a TA and they can do all the arranging for you. have a great time.

Yes, if we pick an itinerary with sea days, lunch together is nice too, thanks for that idea as I was just thinking of evening meals together in the MDR. Did you happen to book excursions together?

Here is a sample of one land reunion shirt - and - two sea reunion shirts! We have shirts dated back to the early 90's and they have not faded so these folks have excellent products.

I wish you all the best and I KNOW you will have a phenomenal time...happy travels...A Family that travels together... :)

IMAG0091.jpg.777e594faf9df414b741def8ae9fe410.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg.d44ba8f0f9ff56f653d7115125649a8e.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg.96e594ea838be2c240906a9711f02fe5.jpg

Here is a sample of one land reunion shirt - and - two sea reunion shirts! We have shirts dated back to the early 90's and they have not faded so these folks have excellent products.

I wish you all the best and I KNOW you will have a phenomenal time...happy travels...A Family that travels together... :)

These shirts are great, who designed the logos in each one?

I hope I can convince everyone too! I'm hoping that all the ladies in our group will see NO COOKING, NO CLEANING and immediately be convinced ;)

Add NO DRIVING to the list - still don't remember the sights on road to Hana.