Koningsdam Retreat Cabanas

InTheWASide

Thanks for sharing all the photos of the Koningsdam. It appears from your photos that the Retreat Cabanas no longer have a table and two chairs in addition to the two loungers? That will make it awkward/messy to have something to eat within your Cabana. I realize there are tables and chairs in the common area of the Retreat, but I hope they will bring back the table and two chairs inside each Cabana.

We reserved a retreat cabana for our 10 day in November. After seeing the ones on New A. and Eurodam, I was expecting a small dining table and 2 chairs as well as the lounges. This is a bit of a disappointment to see nothing but a tiny, low side table and 2 lounges. We don't really care about the robes.

We paid $399.00 US (which was over $500.00 Canadian) expecting to have a place to eat our lunch/snacks without having to balance it on our knees sitting on a lounger! Perhaps one of the attendants could bring in a table/chairs from the common area (with a tip, of course)? Hoping there will be some positive feedback between now and November and things will have improved.

Thank you for the photos! I'm glad I canceled my cabana for the December Koningsdam cruise and booked one for my March Eurodam instead. This Retreat is very disappointing, and not worth the money to me. Losing the dining table & chairs is a bad move on HAL's part, and the cabanas seem so much tinier than those on Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam.

Sue/WDW1972

12/4/16 Koningsdam

3/25/17 Eurodam

Thank you for the photos! I'm glad I canceled my cabana for the December Koningsdam cruise and booked one for my March Eurodam instead. This Retreat is very disappointing, and not worth the money to me. Losing the dining table & chairs is a bad move on HAL's part, and the cabanas seem so much tinier than those on Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam.

Sue/WDW1972

12/4/16 Koningsdam

3/25/17 Eurodam

To me the 2 person cabanas didn't look different in terms of size. Just arranged differently. But, different strokes as they say...

Sue/WDW1972

12/4/16 Koningsdam

3/25/17 Eurodam

From someone who has been in cabanas on Eurodam, N. Amsterdam and Noordam, these look to be the same size, approximately. Yes, we would like the table and chairs, but I can't agree they are smaller.

From someone who has been in cabanas on Eurodam, N. Amsterdam and Noordam, these look to be the same size, approximately. Yes, we would like the table and chairs, but I can't agree they are smaller.

I usually take my elderly Mom on a mother daughter cruise. We get a cabana so we have a dedicated place to sit and eat out of the sun. The table and chairs are a nice place to eat, snack, and chat. Plus, it's easy for Mom to get up and down from an arm chair. I know there are tables and chairs in the center, but they are not sheltered, shaded, or private. I'm very disappointed to say the least. Same price for less benefit. :(

I usually take my elderly Mom on a mother daughter cruise. We get a cabana so we have a dedicated place to sit and eat out of the sun. The table and chairs are a nice place to eat, snack, and chat. Plus, it's easy for Mom to get up and down from an arm chair. I know there are tables and chairs in the center, but they are not sheltered, shaded, or private. I'm very disappointed to say the least. Same price for less benefit. :(

My thoughts, exactly! I'm hoping we can persuade one of the attendants to get us a table and 2 chairs. Otherwise, all we're getting is two lounges! Very disappointed!

Let's hope that HAL is paying attention to these comments regarding the table and chairs for the Retreat Cabanas. HAL, please add them to the Retreat Cabanas on the Koningsdam, and keep them on the other ships which already have them.

let's hope that hal is paying attention to these comments regarding the table and chairs for the retreat cabanas. Hal, please add them to the retreat cabanas on the koningsdam, and keep them on the other ships which already have them.

"like"

Im not a happy cruiser__:(--I do all my reading, writing , painting and lunch at those tables--- and I think I used a lounger once , for a hour, in the cruises I've sailed on the NA once and Eurodam, twice.. and the glass on the aft view is terrible, all you will see is the reflection of what's behind you, that's why I don't like the side cabanas, no good for photos, I rarely ever complain, but this is a big disappointment---:(---joanie

Edited by maxie99

Maybe someone will post some better pictures. It appears the cabanas on the Kdam are smaller. It looks like they only extend the length of the lounge chairs. I'm not sure how you are supposed to eat in them, or enjoy chatting with your neighbors. Big downgrade unless there is some special feature up on the deck we are unaware of.

Edited by 81Zoomie

Maybe someone will post some better pictures. It appears the cabanas on the Kdam are smaller. It looks like they only extend the length of the lounge chairs. I'm not sure how you are supposed to eat in them, or enjoy chatting with your neighbors. Big downgrade unless there is some special feature up on the deck we are unaware of.

I also thought that they looked small. I'm hoping that by our November cruise, there have been some positive changes. I'm not really enthused about these cabanas anymore....I was really looking forward to my own retreat, not just two lounge chairs.

I also thought that they looked small. I'm hoping that by our November cruise, there have been some positive changes. I'm not really enthused about these cabanas anymore....I was really looking forward to my own retreat, not just two lounge chairs.

oh yes, you can see on the 3rd photo, the loungers take up all the space, from the rail to the wall,-- I always adjusted the loungers so I can get better access to the table for my art supplies--and there was plenty of room--J

Having just gotten off the NA and after spending 19 days in our side Cabana (rain, wind or shine!) it certainly seems to be not as wide, not as long and if they don't end up with a table and chairs, I'm not interested in the Koningsdam. We agreed that we are only sailing on ships with Retreat Cabanas in the future and the lack of a table is a deal-breaker.

Having just gotten off the NA and after spending 19 days in our side Cabana (rain, wind or shine!) it certainly seems to be not as wide, not as long and if they don't end up with a table and chairs, I'm not interested in the Koningsdam. We agreed that we are only sailing on ships with Retreat Cabanas in the future and the lack of a table is a deal-breaker.

same here:(

I also noticed that they have curtain dividers rather than the solid walls. I'm guessing that one will also lose some privacy that way.

OH, your right OVgirl,, did not see that,, when I was on the Eurodam this Feb. the storm going to and the day in Key west, was really bad, and the winds would have shredded those curtains,, but the walls on the Eurodam held okay, so much so we had a birthday party in one ,, it was a wild ride and lots of fun --:D

OH, your right OVgirl,, did not see that,, when I was on the Eurodam this Feb. the storm going to and the day in Key west, was really bad, and the winds would have shredded those curtains,, but the walls on the Eurodam held okay, so much so we had a birthday party in one ,, it was a wild ride and lots of fun --:D

So to summarize.... The retreat cabanas are smaller, less private, and lack a table and arm chairs to sit at. But, the price is the same. Seems like a bait and switch to me. Did HAL really think their loyal Mariners would not notice?

So to summarize.... The retreat cabanas are smaller, less private, and lack a table and arm chairs to sit at. But, the price is the same. Seems like a bait and switch to me. Did HAL really think their loyal Mariners would not notice?

I am thinking you are not aware of what "bait and switch" really is. It doesn't preclude changes in style or technology. "Bait and switch" is advertising a product, then suddenly that product is not available, and you can only get a higher priced item. For example, a small, 4 pax fuel efficient car is offered for a great price. When you get there, only a higher priced car is available. In the Kdam case, you are getting a cabana, with the food, champagne, lounge chairs etc. The price has not changed. Show me where HAL has promised an square footage, or hard sides? I am not sure HAL has promised a table and two chairs, but I could be wrong. The price has not changed.

It also appears to me we are basing all these allegations and complaints on a couple of pictures. No one has actually booked and used the cabanas, and is here complaining. (We have one booked for March.)

Hyperbole is not a strong argument for a cause.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I won't cruise on the K-dam because I like to cruise on ships with acceptable cabanas. The photos are pretty clear; no table, no armchairs and canvas sides. That is not an acceptable cabana to me. YMMV.