Koningsdam Retreat Cabanas

InTheWASide

Does anyone have pictures of the common area of the Koningsdam retreat cabanas? Maybe there's something there that makes up for the missing space, tables, and chairs?
There sure is....there is a BIG GREEN BUNNY statue.

Oh, there are also fewer single loungers in the sun, instead they put double loungers in the common area for the most part.

There sure is....there is a BIG GREEN BUNNY statue.

Oh, there are also fewer single loungers in the sun, instead they put double loungers in the common area for the most part.

That doesn't sound like a winner. I'm referring to the fewer single lounge chairs. I'll try to remain open minded about the bunny.

The double loungers are a puzzler because they are usually occupied by one person.

If I figure out how to upload pictures, I'll show you just how much smaller the Family Retreat Cabana is -- extreme difference!

I did not know that the cabanas were larger on the O, nor that the price was also "larger". It makes absolutely no sense then that the cabanas on the K, especially the Family Cabanas, are smaller yet the price isn't smaller.

Wonder what the bean counters at HAL were thinking when they came up with the pricing schedule?

(I feel sorry for the cabana attendants who have to face passengers who have enjoyed the larger cabanas on the Vista ships, then are shown to their smaller quarters on the big, shiny new ship!)

When we were on the Koningsdam this past January, the canvas curtains dividing the cabanas (one side of each cabana) were already tattered and torn, and we could sort of see into the adjoining cabana on that side. We also could HEAR them carrying on rather loud and personal conversations about family matters - not exactly relaxing for us. I much prefer the hard sided dividers for obvious reasons.

Due to the lack of tables and chairs within the cabanas, the tables and chairs in the common area of the Retreat were often in use and it was loud and noisy. Unfortunately, our cabana was nearest to these common area tables and although I asked if we could be moved to a quieter cabana, they were completely sold out and so we were stuck

To compound the situation, the weather was horrible that week and the decks were often closed so we were not able to use our cabana for several days. No reduction in cost was offered (and we did not ask for any.) By the way, I took a quick walk by all of the cabanas when they were empty, to see if all the canvas side dividers were torn, and they were. After we returned home, I mentioned the torn curtains on the online HAL survey, but I don't know if they have been repaired or replaced since then.

Overall, the Koningsdam Retreat Cabanas were very disappointing compared to past experience on several other HAL ships. Eliminating the table and chairs within the cabanas is a big mistake, and the canvas dividers are another problem, in my opinion. HAL will have to replace them often, whereas the hard sides are much more durable (and private.) I would think that they could install hard sides that could easily be opened for people who are traveling together (similar to opening balcony dividers for those who want that option.)

When we were on the Koningsdam this past January, the canvas curtains dividing the cabanas (one side of each cabana) were already tattered and torn, and we could sort of see into the adjoining cabana on that side. We also could HEAR them carrying on rather loud and personal conversations about family matters - not exactly relaxing for us. I much prefer the hard sided dividers for obvious reasons.

Due to the lack of tables and chairs within the cabanas, the tables and chairs in the common area of the Retreat were often in use and it was loud and noisy. Unfortunately, our cabana was nearest to these common area tables and although I asked if we could be moved to a quieter cabana, they were completely sold out and so we were stuck

To compound the situation, the weather was horrible that week and the decks were often closed so we were not able to use our cabana for several days. No reduction in cost was offered (and we did not ask for any.) By the way, I took a quick walk by all of the cabanas when they were empty, to see if all the canvas side dividers were torn, and they were. After we returned home, I mentioned the torn curtains on the online HAL survey, but I don't know if they have been repaired or replaced since then.

Overall, the Koningsdam Retreat Cabanas were very disappointing compared to past experience on several other HAL ships. Eliminating the table and chairs within the cabanas is a big mistake, and the canvas dividers are another problem, in my opinion. HAL will have to replace them often, whereas the hard sides are much more durable (and private.) I would think that they could install hard sides that could easily be opened for people who are traveling together (similar to opening balcony dividers for those who want that option.)

Wondering...we were on the Kdam...January 8th thru the 15th...outside decks were closed most of the time we were at sea...cannot imagine you being able to use your cabana if you were on that cruise...pretty rough seas....sorry it was not a good experience...We are booked on the Eurodam for early november and I did reserve a cabana...looking forward to it...with a table and chairs...both of us have some mobility issues...and sometimes getting up and down from a lounge is a bit of a struggle:p

Wondering...we were on the Kdam...January 8th thru the 15th...outside decks were closed most of the time we were at sea...cannot imagine you being able to use your cabana if you were on that cruise...pretty rough seas....sorry it was not a good experience...We are booked on the Eurodam for early november and I did reserve a cabana...looking forward to it...with a table and chairs...both of us have some mobility issues...and sometimes getting up and down from a lounge is a bit of a struggle:p

Yes - that was our cruise - January 8th -15th. We've never had such rough weather in the Caribbean before that cruise. Maybe one day here and there, but not the entire week like that cruise. I think you'll love the Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam - we've had one on other HAL ships several times in the past and really enjoyed it. Wishing you much better weather in November!! Gail :)

Yes - that was our cruise - January 8th -15th. We've never had such rough weather in the Caribbean before that cruise. Maybe one day here and there, but not the entire week like that cruise. I think you'll love the Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam - we've had one on other HAL ships several times in the past and really enjoyed it. Wishing you much better weather in November!! Gail :)

Ok, I am not feeling at all bad about having to cancel that cruise. I had rented one of the cabanas, but it sounds like we wouldn't have been able to use it.

Ok, I am not feeling at all bad about having to cancel that cruise. I had rented one of the cabanas, but it sounds like we wouldn't have been able to use it.

You didn't miss a thing - it was very rough and not very warm either. Although we've been on several cruises in early January before, I think we'll lean toward later in the winter going forward.

A number of cabana dividers were replaced during our cruise.

One other issue with the canvas dividers that I forgot to mention, is the noise - the loud flapping in the wind that leads to the tearing of the material. I hope that the next new ship will have the hard sided dividers rather than the canvas ones - and the tables and chairs inside each cabana like the other ships previous to the Koningsdam.

You didn't miss a thing - it was very rough and not very warm either. Although we've been on several cruises in early January before, I think we'll lean toward later in the winter going forward.

I am calling our November cruise our do over cruise... in January we had to fly in a day early due to weather...right into the FLL airport shooting...then we had a heavy snow at home and our poor kitties were on their own for four days...a close friend died while we were gone...and then in 40 some cruises....it was one of the roughest sailings we've ever experienced....that being said...I loved the ship...just wish we could have used the outside decks a bit more:eek: Cannot wait to sail the Eurodam!

I am calling our November cruise our do over cruise... in January we had to fly in a day early due to weather...right into the FLL airport shooting...then we had a heavy snow at home and our poor kitties were on their own for four days...a close friend died while we were gone...and then in 40 some cruises....it was one of the roughest sailings we've ever experienced....that being said...I loved the ship...just wish we could have used the outside decks a bit more:eek: Cannot wait to sail the Eurodam!

My June cruise is my do over cruise. I was looking at the cabanas, but I'm not sure how much use I would get from one in Norway going up to the North Cape.

My June cruise is my do over cruise. I was looking at the cabanas, but I'm not sure how much use I would get from one in Norway going up to the North Cape.

We were on a HAL cruise to the North Cape (round trip Amsterdam) during June a few years ago. Although we were fortunate to have nice weather those two weeks, I'm not sure a cabana would have been worthwhile since that itinerary is fairly port intensive and the one afternoon/evening that we were out on deck for scenic cruising, it was quite chilly. (However, a cabana wasn't a consideration for us on that cruise anyway, since there are none on the Prinsendam.) You could try to book a cabana for particular days once you are on the ship. You can go to the front desk after you board to ask about availability. (Prior to sailing, you can book a cabana via Ship Services for the entire cruise, but not for individual days.)