Thank You Everyone

Lois R

I want to thank everyone for all the help and kindness:)........sailing a new line can be daunting sometimes but I know

I am going to love SS and just want to make sure I give a shout out to all of you:D........I still have not started to pack.

I will do that tomorrow.........:) along with running a couple of last minute errands and cleaning the house:rolleyes:

I fly out Sunday afternoon......here to Miami and then Miami on to Barcelona. I will check in here tomorrow and probably

Sunday too.....I don't have to leave for the airport till around noon.........

Anyway, I just didn't want to leave without saying a big THANK YOU to all who have helped me:D

I want to thank everyone for all the help and kindness........sailing a new line can be daunting sometimes but I know I am going to love SS and just want to make sure I give a shout out to all of you ........I still have not started to pack. I will do that tomorrow......... along with running a couple of last minute errands and cleaning the house. I fly out Sunday afternoon......here to Miami and then Miami on to Barcelona. I will check in here tomorrow and probably Sunday too.....I don't have to leave for the airport till around noon.........Anyway, I just didn't want to leave without saying a big THANK YOU to all who have helped me

Safe, smooth travels for Lois!! As a preview and warm-up, below are both some Barcelona sights you will probably see, plus a visual of the Silver Spirit from our sailing on this nice ship in mid June.

Use some of your free ship wi-fi time to update us as to your impressions, loves, surprises, etc., on this Silversea ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,646 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

How does the Silver Spirit look these days? Here is the look of this ship with nice lighting and a great angle as we were re-boarding in Bilbao, Spain.:

June%202017A%201567_zpsa3xjjob0.jpg

For Barcelona, one of the most famous sites is its main and historic Cathedral that is over 700-years old.:

BarcelMainCathedGreatSky.jpg

Overlooking the harbor is this statue/column to Christopher Columbus, plus a couple of government buildings.:

BarcelColStatueGovBldg.jpg

Overlooking the Barcelona harbor is this old warehouse building that is now a museum for this area with many water-front dining places.:

BarcelWaterOldWarehouseMus.jpg

Barcelona has many apartment building with interesting architecture details. Here the iron railings are wonderful with a local lady taking a look as we pass below.:

BarcelBalconyIronworkLady.jpg

Near one of famed architect Gaudi’s most famous building, here is a unique street light design along one of Barcelona’s major boulevards.:

BarcelGaudiStreetLight.jpg

Have a great and safe journey Lois......looks like there are quite long delays at Barcelona airport border control so take plenty of water off the plane with you.....it's very hot there right now.

Not sure I understand........:eek:.....you mean this is outside the airport?........I booked a car service through the hotel.

They wait 1 hour and it is 42Euros extra for every hour after that......what is considered a "long delay"? and why do

I need water from the plane? Very hot? I have been following the weather......mid 80s and sunny sounds lovely to me:)

Edited by Lois R

Lois,

Barcelona airport has this morning been featured on the news here. This weekend is the busiest for european holiday destinations but right now airport workers are staging strikes which is causing long delays getting through immigration. Passengers were reporting up to a three hour wait at times.

There is a heatwave situation at the moment also with temps reaching up to 40 in some places.

The airport could be very hot and crowded which is why l suggested making sure you have plenty of water with you when you deplane.....just to be on the safe side.

I really do hope you won't be affected but best to be aware and prepared.

☺️

Lois,

Barcelona airport has this morning been featured on the news here. This weekend is the busiest for european holiday destinations but right now airport workers are staging strikes which is causing long delays getting through immigration. Passengers were reporting up to a three hour wait at times.

There is a heatwave situation at the moment also with temps reaching up to 40 in some places.

The airport could be very hot and crowded which is why l suggested making sure you have plenty of water with you when you deplane.....just to be on the safe side.

I really do hope you won't be affected but best to be aware and prepared.

☺️

OMG.:eek:.....A strike? I wonder if I should cancel my car service and go with a cab?........I am arriving Monday morning......I am emailing

the hotel to see what they say........

Edited by Lois R

OMG.:eek:.....A strike? I wonder if I should cancel my car service and go with a cab?........I am arriving Monday morning......I am emailing

the hotel to see what they say........

I think the car service would actually be a better choice.

You may want to contact the car service. They, surely, are aware of the situation at the airport and they may advise you as to what to do due to the long waits. I have been delayed and the company was aware that I would be and adjusted accordingly.

Agree with Randy....much better to know that you're car will be waiting.....the drivers will be aware of the situation and will hopefully take into consideration the possible delays without penalty.

☺️

I also was thinking that if the taxis are part of a union they may not want to cross a picket line or may stage work stoppage or slow down in support of the airport workers. A car service would be much less likely to be unionized or get involved. I have no idea what the union situation is like so just throwing that out for consideration. Since I personally prefer car services in the first place I'd stick with them and if I had been thinking cab then I actually might change to a car service to potentially avoid union issues.

I also was thinking that if the taxis are part of a union they may not want to cross a picket line or may stage work stoppage or slow down in support of the airport workers. A car service would be much less likely to be unionized.

Good thinking.......much safer too as a solo. ☺️

The folks on strike are the security staff, so it is impacting primarily departing passengers with long waits at the security controls. There may be a spill-over impact on arrivals, but the real mess is on the departure side....

Here are some photos I took with my little camera in 2010 of La Sagrada Familia. I bet it's changed a lot since then! Let me know if there is still so much scaffolding.

Yes it had, even as of 2015 when we were there. More steeples, for one. But still plenty of scaffolding. We were amazed at the progress since our prior visit in 2008, but there is still plenty of work to be done.

Lois - have a great trip! So exciting that it's almost here. Good luck with immigration in Barcelona.