Explorer La Verandah Entrance Sinks

mrlevin

For those onboard; a question:

I have been a systems engineer for over 30 years. When I first saw the picture of the sinks that have replaced the sanitation liquid at entrance of La Verandah; I started thinking of the time it must take to use the sink versus the sanitation liquid which you could use without slowing down. When you think of approaching the sink, water on hands, soap on hands, wash hands, get paper towel, dry hands; I came up with 12 to 15 seconds. That would seem to cause quite a delay when an elevator could drop off eight guests at a time let alone those using steps.

For those onboard; have the sinks caused a delay? Do all/most guests use the sink? Does the paper towel disposal look neat or is someone having to constantly clean it?

Just a frustrated engineer with a meaningless question.

Marc

I have only witnessed the sinks being used once - by me. There is also another one on the outdoor deck.

I used it because my hands got messy during a meal, not for sanitation upon entry. My original destination was the ladies room but noticed the sink just before leaving the restaurant.

They are not positioned in a way that would make their use intuitive, as the hand sanitizers were. In fact, my first thought was that they were crew stations, especially the one on the stern.

The only hand sanitizing station I have noticed is at security when leaving/returning to the ship.

Hopefully if the staff are monitoring the low participation of use at the sinks, they will also install the hand gel station at the restaurant entrance.

If passenengers are not using the facilities provided this could become an issue? Jean.

I agree with witt's end that few people seem to be using the sinks at the entrances to La Veranda, and at the Pool Grill. I have noticed the germstar hand-sanitizing stations outside Compass Rose, Pacific Rim, Chartreuse and Prime 7, but not The Cafe (coffee connection), at least yet. I spoke to a member of the dining staff, who noted that public health policy does not require hand sanitizers when hand-washing is available, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the sanitizer stations pop up at some point in La Veranda and Pool Grill because of the fact that so few are stopping to wash their hands.

I think that having both the hand sanitizer and sink at the entrance is a good thing. Washing hands is the best way to prevent transmitting norovirus. For a long time people posted that hand sanitizers do not prevent norovirus and they were likely correct. However, as most of us know, there are newer sanitizers on the market that have been proven to work against norovirus.

Thanks for all the replies from those on board; you have convinced me that Regent didn't do proper systems engineering with respect to the sinks. Are there other "quirks" with this ship where your thoughts are "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

Marc

Edited by Marq

Not sure what is meant by "not proper systems engineering" regarding the sinks. While many people will prefer the sanitizer stations, during the winter when there are more people boarding the ship when they are sick, the sinks will no doubt be very popular. If someone is using the sink(s), there is a restroom close by. IMO, the sink reminds guests that hand washing is important - especially on the ship.

Although nothing is perfect, IMO, the Explorer is as close to perfection as it can get. Fortunately, the people on the shake-down cruise, the Christening cruise and the Maiden Voyage are not there looking for what is wrong -- they are simply enjoying the magnificent ship. On the other hand, if you look for what is wrong, you'll probably find something.

Also want to respond to lipstastic, No one is monitoring the sinks (nor should they IMO). The only time I have heard of special precautions being taken is when there is an outbreak of some illness onboard. Hopefully, passengers will wash their hands and/or use a sanitizer so that there will not be issues on this ship. I applaud Regent for spending the money to install the sinks and hope that they will be utilized.

Although nothing is perfect, IMO, the Explorer is as close to perfection as it can get. Fortunately, the people on the shake-down cruise, the Christening cruise and the Maiden Voyage are not there looking for what is wrong -- they are simply enjoying the magnificent ship.

I can't agree with you on this, as there were certain imperfections which became obvious during our 14 night cruise.

1) Sight lines in the theatre and safety concerns in the aisles.

2) Layout of entrance door to suite and that to the bathroom.

3) Layout in gent's toilets.

4) Lack of forward outside viewing area.

Thanks for all the replies from those on board; you have convinced me that Regent didn't do proper systems engineering with respect to the sinks. Are there other "quirks" with this ship where your thoughts are "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

Marc

I almost fell on the floor laughing. I never heard that before. :D

The sinks were seldom used, probably for the reasons outlined above. A few automatic hand sanitisers did appear during the voyage, eg Observation Lounge during afternoon tea plus a few other venues. It may be another ill thought out design/planning issue or it could also be that the hand sanitisers weren't yet delivered when we set sail.

I can't agree with you on this, as there were certain imperfections which became obvious during our 14 night cruise.

1) Sight lines in the theatre and safety concerns in the aisles.

2) Layout of entrance door to suite and that to the bathroom.

3) Layout in gent's toilets.

4) Lack of forward outside viewing area.

I said close to perfect - not perfect. Agree about sight lines in the theater. I believe the safety issues in the theater isles (steps were very slightly illuminated but not enough) have been resolved.

Since I'm not a man, I did not see the layout in the men's restrooms but my DH did not mention any issues other than they were lovely.

Could you be more specific about the entrance to the suite and bathroom. The bathroom and entrance doors are close together -- is that what you mean? If so, I agree.

There isn't a forward outside viewing area but at least it has an Observation Lounge which the Navigator lacks. Not sure why Regent made this design decision but this may be one thing they change in the next "Explorer class" ship (due in 2020).

Could you be more specific about the entrance to the suite and bathroom. The bathroom and entrance doors are close together -- is that what you mean?

If the bathroom door is open when one enters the suite (ie. one person is in the suite and has left the bathroom door partly open) then there is a nasty class of the two doors. A sliding door to the bathroom would not cause this problem.

For those onboard; a question:

I have been a systems engineer for over 30 years. When I first saw the picture of the sinks that have replaced the sanitation liquid at entrance of La Verandah; I started thinking of the time it must take to use the sink versus the sanitation liquid which you could use without slowing down. When you think of approaching the sink, water on hands, soap on hands, wash hands, get paper towel, dry hands; I came up with 12 to 15 seconds. That would seem to cause quite a delay when an elevator could drop off eight guests at a time let alone those using steps.

For those onboard; have the sinks caused a delay? Do all/most guests use the sink? Does the paper towel disposal look neat or is someone having to constantly clean it?

Just a frustrated engineer with a meaningless question.

Marc

Yes, the sinks have caused delays (the three times I saw them being used - the people using them effectively blocked all traffic in and out on that side). There were what appeared to be a lot of decisions made based off people who have never worked/experienced such things before - hello Pool Bar and your myriad issues! none of which were crew related IME.

Edited by Emperor Norton