Is Smart Casual a thing of the past?

schmeed

Never expected the vitriol from some of the people in this thread. I guess it's where society is these days. "I do what I want." To hell with your rules.

We could all start wearing shorts and T-shirts to weddings too by some logic on here. Remembering the last half dozen or so weddings I've been to, the food and service leave a lot to be desired! I bet these same people would be outraged if you went to their wedding dressed down. This is mostly Royal's doing though. Also, what most cruisers these days do not know is that service used to be superb, as well as the food- including Filet Mignon, Maine Lobster, Ribeye, Onion soup smothered in cheese, etc. It was a different experience. Now there are more entertainment options instead. Dining used to be the #1 thing a cruiseline needed to get right. Now they don't have to feed you the best, unless you pay extra.

I'm going on Anthem in a week. On most nights, I tend to wear a sport coat and shirt but no tie, a suit on Formal nights. I know I'll be dressed more than is required but I feel that dressing up seems to promote better service. If I dressed like I was going to Chipotle's or Wendy's, then I'd expect the service of such.

I seem to read about many comments complaining about reduction in service in the MDR and I think it correlates with a reduction in dress attire.

Just my 2 cents

dp

I respectfully disagree. The reduction in service is, IMO, entirely due to the cost-cutting that RCI (and, to be fair, other lines) have implemented over the past few years. There are fewer workers in the MDR who are doing their damnedest to provide a good experience, but in my experience they just can't do it any more, especially at MTD. The food budget has similarly been cut, and it takes a really imaginative Executive Chef to make good meals. Even the specialty restaurants have cut the quality of their food (while raising prices). I don't think any of that has to do with how people dress to go to dinner.

Never expected the vitriol from some of the people in this thread. I guess it's where society is these days. "I do what I want." To hell with your rules.

I have not seen required attire on RCI in years. We used to dress to the nines on formal nights, but aren't going to lug formalwear when we have to fly to the port. I wear a sparkly top and DH wears a shirt and tie (a blazer once in a blue moon).

We could all start wearing shorts and T-shirts to weddings too by some logic on here. Remembering the last half dozen or so weddings I've been to, the food and service leave a lot to be desired! I bet these same people would be outraged if you went to their wedding dressed down. This is mostly Royal's doing though. Also, what most cruisers these days do not know is that service used to be superb, as well as the food- including Filet Mignon, Maine Lobster, Ribeye, Onion soup smothered in cheese, etc. It was a different experience. Now there are more entertainment options instead. Dining used to be the #1 thing a cruiseline needed to get right. Now they don't have to feed you the best, unless you pay extra.

Apples and oranges. Weddings are a special, once (or 10, if you're Liz Taylor) in a lifetime event. Formal nights on a cruise ship are virtually indistinguishable from the other nights - the Captain's reception is held in a Centrum or Promenade that resembles a mosh pit, the waiters are just as overworked as they are on other nights and the food isn't any better.

But to get back to the original question, we've seen Smart Casual on occasion, and I think that it's the dress suggestion for the specialty restaurants. We were told by a cruise director back in 2007 that it was on the way out, but it keeps on keeping on.

I'm sorry. But if I can go to a four star steak house in my area and dine in the same room as men wearing jeans and shorts, and women dressed equally casually then I don't see any reason why some people have a cat at the idea of seeing shorts in the MDR. Especially when the quality of the food and service is on par with a typical family restaurant chain.

If you are so sensitive that having someone in shorts sitting across the room will ruin or materially take away from you "dining experience" then you, imho, need to either get help or book on a luxury line.

Excellent post

I do disagree as well that you are treated/served better if you are dressed better-I whole heartedly believe that you are treated/served better or worse based on one's attitude. I literally have never been offended by what anyone is wearing in the dining room, but I have been absolutely appalled by the way some people speak to the staff. But that's an entirely different thread....

I completely agree with you on this point. By the time a formal night comes around the staff has already had the opportunity to meet you and the impressions have been made. How they treat you has little to do with your clothes and everything to do with how you treat them. I don't care if we are talking about the MDR, Windjammer, the bartenders in a lounge, your cabin steward, or any other crew member.

You have been a member here since 2007 and didn't know what to expect when you started a thread on dress code?

[quote name=KG1924;52380904

As a caveat-I'm a female and it is MUCH easier for me to throw on a dress and some strappy heels then it is for my husband to put on a suit. He has worn a suit on formal nights on each cruise so far....I'm not sure if he will on this upcoming trip or not. Cruising as a whole has become much more casual over the years which I do enjoy' date=' although what I wear hasn't actually changed simply because I dress for myself...and maybe my husband as well ;)[/quote]

Interesting, for us it's the opposite. I wear a shirt and tie everyday so all I have to do is add a blazer and I'm good to go.

My wife on the other had wears scrubs everyday so it's much more difficult for her. And since she never looks at these boards I'll also add that she's never sure if the dress will fit so there's usually some last minute shopping involved.

Dress codes in society change over time. When I started in the business world 30 years ago it was a suit and tie every day. Then along came business casual Friday where you did not have to wear the jacket and tie. Then business casual became the everyday attire and we had "jeans day" every Friday.

Cruising seems to be taking the same trend. It doesn't mean you have to like or agree with it and if you want you can still dress up as much as you want.

Maybe an alternative for those who really want to have the more elegant dining experience at night is to do Specialty dining for those nights that are not formal night. Yes, you will have to pay a little more for your cruise, but it would be a better fit for your style preference. We do this (not for the dress code) but because we enjoy the meals and atmosphere in the specialty restaurants (main dining room becoming too much like herding cattle through a meal for us).

It is sort of like church. Many churches have more relaxed services with modern music and members wear jeans. But they also offer a traditional service where people like to dress up. Go where you feel most comfortable and let others do the same.

You have been a member here since 2007 and didn't know what to expect when you started a thread on dress code?

Good point!!! ;)

Maybe for my next trick I'll start a thread on people reserving deck chairs with towels. LOL

Good point!!! ;)

Maybe for my next trick I'll start a thread on people reserving deck chairs with towels. LOL

I think we should all stay away from the controversial subjects and just talk about things like smoking on the balcony.;p

I'm in the camp of "take some pride in your appearance" and "wearing something other than athleti-leisure won't kill you" ... but I don't think anyone ever really knew what smart casual was. I always assumed it was akin to resort casual, but that's another term that also has never really been adequately defined.

On my last RCI cruise 2 months ago I saw men in the MDR wearing tee shirts and shorts but were not allowed in wearing sandals.

I had to wear a suit every day when I was working . Now that I am retired I like the idea of not having to dress up .If I go to a land restaurant there are usually no dress restrictions .On cruises I wear slacks and button down or polo shirts.

Thanks, but those of us who actually have dinner in the Windjammer have noticed a trend for it to be becoming more and more crowded for dinner than it used to be. We don't need the MDR sending more people up there.;)

I have noticed this as well. In itself it's not a big deal but at times those extra folk come all dressed up and destroy that special jammer ambience. ;p

Disagreement is not vitriol and the only dress standards are not "you or bums". I lived in the Caribbean much of my life and can assure you that jackets, trousers, heavy socks with shoes are neither smart nor casual. Linen would be most appropriate, but that is not practical for most. Bermudas with loose fitting shirts are tasteful and definitely more comfortable in the hot humid climate, but for some reason, USA folks think bermudas are beachwear and not the more formal dress they really are.

People are also more polite and refrain from judging others so harshly just because of their appearance.