Dining apparel

jersan23

Greetings

Just off Sirena on July 7. Jeans of all sorts (fancy, plain, blue, white, black) on both men and women were seen in the dining room. Not here to debate the written rules, just to report what was observed. Many of the jean wearers were European. The entire world seems to have adopted jeans as appropriate restaurant wear.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Just off Sirena on July 7. Jeans of all sorts (fancy, plain, blue, white, black) on both men and women were seen in the dining room. Not here to debate the written rules, just to report what was observed. Many of the jean wearers were European. The entire world seems to have adopted jeans as appropriate restaurant wear.

Good Sailing

Tom

Very sad that people have forgotten how to dress nicely in something other than jeans

You know jeans I like, but travel no so sure any more. It's to heavy to pack and take up to much room. One of the things I like about "O" is the dress on the ship, at dinner I enjoy the casual feel, but I still like to dress nice at dinner and be comfortable.

I know I don't get a vote, but no to jeans when dining.

Rick

I don't get the "heavy, too big to pack comments. Are you folks buying the original pants ol man Strauss made from canvas packcloth?

Most of my jeans are no warmer or heavier or take up any more space than dockers or dress slacks.

I can find quite a few viable objections to jeans, but not that.

I don't get the "heavy, too big to pack comments. Are you folks buying the original pants ol man Strauss made from canvas packcloth?

Most of my jeans are no warmer or heavier or take up any more space than dockers or dress slacks.

I can find quite a few viable objections to jeans, but not that.

Go to REI and check out some convertible "climbing" pants (zippers convert pants to shorts). Extremely lightweight, compact, quick drying, comfortable, etc. Perfect for excursions, day wear et al.

Say bye bye to jeans!

Go to REI and check out some convertible "climbing" pants (zippers convert pants to shorts). Extremely lightweight, compact, quick drying, comfortable, etc. Perfect for excursions, day wear et al.

Say bye bye to jeans!

This is a personal pet peeve :) but, IMHO, as far as appearance/style is concerned the nylon "climbing" pants with knee zippers are the ugliest possible choice for men. Generally baggy, and sloppy looking and usually quite hot and uncomfortable (Damp nylon sticks to your legs). If you are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail for weeks at a time these are a good choice for your single pair of trousers - that's what they are designed for. Sightseeing in Europe they really dumb and ugly unless you are backpacking in the Alps. And talk about looking like a tourist....:eek:

And talk about looking like a tourist....:eek:

..and jeans will make us look like locals? :D

Let's face it - 99% of us Americans will look like tourists in Europe no matter what. Likewise, I can pick out Europeans visiting us in US every time.

Facts of life :)

..and jeans will make us look like locals? :D

Let's face it - 99% of us Americans will look like tourists in Europe no matter what. Likewise, I can pick out Europeans visiting us in US every time.

Facts of life :)

Well Paul, you will see lots of Europeans wearing jeans but you won't see very many wearing those ugly nylon pants.:D

Blending in is only partly dress - behaviors are more telling. If you are waving a map or guidebook around with a big camera in hand you are a tourist :) - American or European. If you dress is not outlandish (ie. nylon pants) and you act like you belong you can sometimes pass for a local or at least keep them guessing. Body language often shows you are uncomfortable or unsure. It's a dead giveaway. Walk confidently into a sidewalk café in Rome with a newspaper under your arm, go straight to a table, sit down and open your paper and the waiter (when he gets around to it) will address you in Italian. Similarly, we know Europeans who are comfortable in the US (frequent or business travelers) that you could not pick out of a crowd.

Modern "climbers" are far from the original "nylons" (google Northface for an explanation of their breathable "second skin" fabric technology).

In any case, they're extremely popular here in Northern California where most people could care less whether or not they look as good as heavy, hot, never-dry-once-wet denim.

No one is saying to wear them to dinner. Bottom line: to each his own.

We had an incident on the Marina where several passengers had been denied entry to the MDR attempting to wear casual jeans, which they appeared to have been wearing all day. Later in the cruise, I asked Roy, our CD, why Oceania didn't offer cruises for those wanting to wear "tackies" all day and just let them have their space/cruise for those cruises. He rattled off a couple of cruise lines that had attempted that and said " They could never come close to filling the ships." There is a small vocal minority that want to dress down all the time, but you can't fill a ship with them." "Others", he said (like myself), " would see the dress down codes and never book the cruises. It's a loser, so we have to just continue fighting with those that attempt to press the standards".

Just got off a Carnaval Cruise ship with the grandchildren. I was amazingly impressed how well dressed EVERYONE was for dinner. The majority of men wore sports coats, ladies were in dresses, no jeans or flip flops. The children were adorable, a refection of their parents. I have to say the people on Carnaval were better dressed than on Oceania......pretty sad IMO.

If anyone bothers to read my earlier post in this thread correctly, they will see I did not make an attempt to define dress jeans by any particular colour as if it was my own choosing, I reported what colour and style of jeans I saw being worn by other guests (sometimes including myself) in dining rooms on Riviera without any problem. There is a difference. If I was allowed to choose it would be clear - you could wear any jeans you wanted. As long as they fitted nicely, but that is another issue. :D

(While humming a rousing chorus of Ray Steven's Mississippi Squirrel Revival followed by a solemn rendition of Would Jesus Wear A Rolex) I not so humbly beg all potential Oceania Cruisers to simply wear shoes and clothes aboard - Please! :eek:

JMBobB

I just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Regatta. On the first night at the show the cruise director said "no jeans in the Main Dining Room or specialty restaurants." That was NO JEANS, not qualified as no "CASUAL" jeans. Everyone I saw was dressed well, except a couple of people who were turned away for trying to wear jeans into the Main Dining Room and at Toscana.

I agree with LHT28, that it is "very sad that people have forgotten how to dress nicely in something other than jeans." If you cannot bear to part with your jeans, you can eat at the Terrace Café instead.