Are Gratuities going up AGAIN next week ?

bradfordmickey

Do cabin stewards receive a third of the service charge? What proportion do waiters, bar staff, buffet staff, cleaners, etc get?

O K I am assuming that Celebrity are about the same as P&O in the distribution. No doubt I will be told if I am wrong.

On P&O a third to half of the tip would go to the cabin steward. And about 60% to the wait staff. They have now brought in the buffet staff. And I would take it that they would get a smaller share of the tip.

Judging what we used to pay in the tip envelope's my best guess would be 40% to cabin, 50% to MDR waiters and 10% to buffet.

Bar staff and cleaners do not get tips in this way. Bar staff get tips from their sales and cleaners are on a different contract.

In the past some of the cleaners helped the cabin staff on turnover days and were paid by the stewards effectively tipping downwards.. likewise the wait staff tipped those in the kitchens who helped them.

Assuming that Celebrity are about the same then that's where the figure above came from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

until cruise lines incorporate them (tips) in the price the debate will go on and on and on.

I hope going tips-included would put the issue to bed for UK and Aus/NZ customers at least.

The cultural divide across the Pond is another matter - Holiday Which? readers have voted Regent Seven Seas their favourite cruise line so I took a look at the CC forum a few days ago. Most of the contributors appear to be Americans (for obvious reasons), and although the line is all-inclusive there are dozens of threads where tips are mentioned, e.g. 'I know it's all inclusive but how much should I tip for room service', 'How much should I tip the butler' and so on. Plus there's bellyaching about lack of enforcement of such dress code as there is, and the rules about reserving sun loungers. It could almost be P&O...

On P&O a third to half of the tip would go to the cabin steward. And about 60% to the wait staff. They have now brought in the buffet staff. And I would take it that they would get a smaller share of the tip.

Any evidence for that, or are you just guessing.

my best guess would be 40% to cabin, 50% to MDR waiters and 10% to buffet.

So you are guessing, ok.

Anyway, at the UK 'tip' rate of around 10%, for a couple using the buffet for breakfast and lunch and the MDR in the evening that would put the value of the breakfast and lunch at £12, which is probably fair. However it would put the evening meal (without drinks) at £60, which doesn't sound realistic. It would also mean the steward is getting £4.80 a day as a 'tip' from a cabin of two, which seems rather steep if its meant to be a 'tip' or 'service reward' and not a wage.

Edited by insanemagnet

I hope going tips-included would put the issue to bed for UK and Aus/NZ customers at least.

The cultural divide across the Pond is another matter - Holiday Which? readers have voted Regent Seven Seas their favourite cruise line so I took a look at the CC forum a few days ago. Most of the contributors appear to be Americans (for obvious reasons), and although the line is all-inclusive there are dozens of threads where tips are mentioned, e.g. 'I know it's all inclusive but how much should I tip for room service', 'How much should I tip the butler' and so on. Plus there's bellyaching about lack of enforcement of such dress code as there is, and the rules about reserving sun loungers. It could almost be P&O...

I don't see that changing either, I've also read that on lines where tips are already paid for the passengers are then guilt tripped into tipping on top by the "hard done by" stewards.

Janny444 - totally agree. I too have ploughed through these postings. It is as it is - maybe it may change some day and tips will be included in the fare, maybe not. Meanwhile the number of people who post on this site is a minute number compared to the total number of people cruising. So, tip if you want to - leave the auto tip on - take it off and tip yourself (although how people on Freedom Dining who have different waiters each night do that I don't know) or don't tip at all. It's no one else's business, no one person is right, everyone has their own opinion. Eventually P&O and through them Carnival, will do what they want, what they think is right for their business. My own guess is that the more luxury cruise companies will continue to have the tips included, the main line companies will still keep to tips but who knows!

I don't see that changing either, I've also read that on lines where tips are already paid for the passengers are then guilt tripped into tipping on top by the "hard done by" stewards.

I have heard that line before on Thomson. Does not work with me

The cruise industry seems full of emotional blackmailers.

Love RCCL and P&O.

O K I am assuming that Celebrity are about the same as P&O in the distribution. No doubt I will be told if I am wrong.

Judging what we used to pay in the tip envelope's my best guess would be 40% to cabin, 50% to MDR waiters and 10% to buffet.

Bar staff and cleaners do not get tips in this way. Bar staff get tips from their sales and cleaners are on a different contract.

In the past some of the cleaners helped the cabin staff on turnover days and were paid by the stewards effectively tipping downwards.. likewise the wait staff tipped those in the kitchens who helped them.

Assuming that Celebrity are about the same then that's where the figure above came from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,sorry celebrity and pando uk are as far apart as chalk and cheese,you cannot compare an american brand with a uk brand,especially with tipping policies,cheers,Brian.