Complementary Stateroom Upgrades

Pennbank

One often reads on these forums about repeat passengers not receiving Complementary upgrades. I know that many upgrades can be down grades and that some passengers when purchasing a Cunard or Early saver fare will ask for no upgrade.

I personally have had many complimentary upgrades with Cunard and other Cruise Companies like I am sure other passengers have.

I wonder, who decides on these. Is it Computer generated and does keeping the gratuities on, have any influence to receiving a complimentary stateroom upgrade on your next cruise with that company ?

Edited by Pennbank

There has previously been conversation about loyal passengers not getting upgrades. I have noticed this myself. Since we reached the Platinum level we have had none and as we are on the verge of reaching Diamond I expect this will continue.

It has also been discussed that the chances of getting an upgrade are better with a guarantee than with a selected stateroom. That has not been my experience. We have never had an upgrade from a guarantee, other than a one-category upgrade which just put us slightly closer to midships on the same deck. We have had two major upgrades - once to Princess Grill and once to Queen's Grill - from staterooms that we chose at the time of booking. Upgrades are indeed a mystery.

My husband and I have now been Diamond members for years and have never had an upgrade on any of our Cunard sailings which have either been higher grade balcony or PG rooms. I think we have only taken a Saver fare once or twice, but allocated what we booked. It is good practice to always choose a room that you are happy with, rather than hope that the upgrade fairy will pay a visit. We did have decent one on Celebrity a few years back, but one can always hope!

Like David, I am mystified by the upgrade process. We've been upgraded once, moved from one Britannia class balcony cabin that was at one end of the ship to another midships on the same deck. Nice to obtain more stability, but still a fairly minor upgrade.

Does the influence of keeping auto tips on help with upgrades on the next cruise ? I notice that no one is mentioning if they had previously removed the Auto tips from an earlier cruise.?

On Cunard, who removes the gratuities?

Not really the dine thing

On Cunard, who removes the gratuities?

Not really the dine thing

allo allo

I think you may be surprised at how many actually do remove the auto Grats on Cunard. Whilst attending the desk on other matters, you can not help but overhear what they are asking and many guests remove them. So I was wondering if removing them, does it effect a possible upgrade next time around ?

Does the influence of keeping auto tips on help with upgrades on the next cruise ? I notice that no one is mentioning if they had previously removed the Auto tips from an earlier cruise.?

We never remove the auto tips.

One often reads on these forums about repeat passengers not receiving Complementary upgrades. I know that many upgrades can be down grades and that some passengers when purchasing a Cunard or Early saver fare will ask for no upgrade.

I personally have had many complimentary upgrades with Cunard and other Cruise Companies like I am sure other passengers have.

I wonder, who decides on these. Is it Computer generated and does keeping the gratuities on, have any influence to receiving a complimentary stateroom upgrade on your next cruise with that company ?

This is one of life's great mysteries. Nobody seems to know how it works. Personally, I think it's just random, unless you book a "guarantee" when it's more likely.

Unfortunately, they've stopped doing QG "guarantees".

As the OP is surely aware, I have received many upgrades. Two particularly good one's of note, Princess Grill to Queens Grill and one 'Lobby View' to Britannia Club.

And for many of us it is pretty well known why we get them and certainly not being socially shy has its advantages.

allo allo

I think you may be surprised at how many actually do remove the auto Grats on Cunard. Whilst attending the desk on other matters, you can not help but overhear what they are asking and many guests remove them. So I was wondering if removing them, does it effect a possible upgrade next time around ?

I can't say I've ever eavesdropped conversations at the Reception Desk.

However, I have heard from an 'official' channel that poor behaviour is not rewarded.

I can't say I've ever eavesdropped conversations at the Reception Desk.

However, I have heard from an 'official' channel that poor behaviour is not rewarded.

Some people talk so loud you can't help but hear them ;)

As the OP is surely aware, I have received many upgrades. Two particularly good one's of note, Princess Grill to Queens Grill and one 'Lobby View' to Britannia Club.

And for many of us it is pretty well known why we get them and certainly not being socially shy has its

advantages.

I don't know why you think that I am aware about your personal upgrades however then, like my self as I posted, I have always received many.

Many of us don't know why we get them, that is why I posted the question.

My OP asked, "wonder, who decides on these. Is it Computer generated and does keeping the gratuities on, have any influence to receiving a complimentary stateroom upgrade on your next cruise with that company ?"

as for listening to other conversations at the desk, well sometimes you just can not help it, especially with other guests with booming voices! That Lobby carries the sound, The desk is certainly not a private place!

Edited by Pennbank

And for many of us it is pretty well known why we get them and certainly not being socially shy has its advantages.

"For the many" that know why you get upgraded, you have certainly got the edge on the rest of us. "Not being socially shy" vs what I feel are over the top self-promoters ...I suppose that is interesting dynamics, and perhaps it play a significant part in upgrades.

As for me, I select my cabin, pay the fare, and wish the best upgrade for my fellow passengers.

Cheers,

Salacia

"For the many" that know why you get upgraded, you have certainly got the edge on the rest of us. "Not being socially shy" vs what I feel are over the top self-promoters ...I suppose that is interesting dynamics, and perhaps it play a significant part in upgrades.

As for me, I select my cabin, pay the fare, and wish the best upgrade for my fellow passengers.

Cheers,

Salacia

In which case I shall assume that we are both content with our lot.

And of course one could presume that Cunard are grateful to those who 'promote' them through other web based means.

I couldn't possibly comment of course.

:D:D

Well, lucky as we have been with upgrades, it has certainly not been "who we know" in our case. We know nobody of influence in Cunard, nor Carnival, and I do suspect they have been computer generated - or we've been amazingly lucky!

Agree totally, I've been a "Cunarder" since I was a small child travelling with my parents...Could not count the number of Cunard voyages we have enjoyed..I can recall been offered small upgrades (usually within grade) on only a handful of occasions, but declined all but one. We know which staterooms we want, book them and are happy with our choice. The one upgrade we accepted some time ago was to QG from PG. In conversation with staff we were informed that upgrades are computer generated...

Agree totally, I've been a "Cunarder" since I was a small child travelling with my parents...Could not count the number of Cunard voyages we have enjoyed..I can recall been offered small upgrades (usually within grade) on only a handful of occasions, but declined all but one. We know which staterooms we want, book them and are happy with our choice. The one upgrade we accepted some time ago was to QG from PG. In conversation with staff we were informed that upgrades are computer generated...

Hmmmn. Any particular staff?

Onboard or shoreside?

Of course each and every one of us who sail with Cunard are subject to being on the 'Cunard' computer system.

Just my opinion of course but if one believes that there is a random computer generating programme for Cunard upgrades then one should also buy lottery tickets regularly.

I would regard myself and my son as rather solitary when we are on board and I have had some spectacular upgrades. I've gone from an inside to Princess Grill, Princess Grill to a penthouse and Princess to Queen's. Also various balcony upgrades. There is no logic to why I've had these upgrades, it must be random.

In June, we shall be going on our 50th Cunard cruise, in that time we have been given two upgrades, one good and one terrible, now we always book the cabin we want, we have travelled enough on the three Queens to acknowledge which cabins suit our cabin needs. On one Transatlantic roundtrip I was on, I spoke to a gentleman who was on a Cunard ship for the first time, he booked inside cabin but told me he had been given a balcony for the return trip. I just think a lot of luck is needed and they could be trying to influence newcomers to sail with Cunard. That old saying "It's not what you know but who you know" may apply to get a seat at the Captains Table but I

do not think it works on getting upgrades;)