Dinner in The Buffet on QE/QV Question

janny444

In my experience, quite apart from the "Pop-up" restarants, we have found the "open to all" buffets are often themed. Last time we were on, one evening was Italian, one evening seafood etc.

Yes that's right. It can also be French, Asian, Spanish etc.The following photo is from the QV lido buffet on a Norway cruise

3492vyp.jpg

Yeah, about this up-charge....

What do you get for this? Is it just that a waiter brings you the food? Isn't the whole point of a buffet that you go and look and select?

We never tried the buffet in the evening as we have always had such a great time with our table mates in the restaurant

Edited by buchhalm
Darn auto correct changed BUFFET to BUDGET...

You're conflating the Lido buffet/Kings court buffet with the evening full service dinners that happen to take part of the venue. Its a nice change of pace from Britannia and the food & service is better for the upcharge.

Give it a try before you dismiss it. More than once our entire table has gone up together.

Yeah, about this up-charge....

What do you get for this? Is it just that a waiter brings you the food? Isn't the whole point of a buffet that you go and look and select? ��

The alternative dining in the evening is in a closed-off section of the Kings Court/Lido buffet. You sit at a table with a tablecloth and it is waiter served. There are different themes each evening such as Lotus, Coriander etc.

At one time it used to be free. Then they introduced a $10 charge. Now it's $17.50. A bit steep really when you've already paid for waiter service in the main restaurant.

I'm not dismissing anything. I am asking what you get for the service charge.

You receive for the extra charge a reserved section of the buffet complete with tablecloth and wait staff and a themed menu. Many rave about this extra charge evening event. However, I personally have not been tempted as I have observed that say if one wishes Italian dishes, the Britannia Dining Room offers one almost every day at luncheon and the buffet is knee deep in offerings. The same could be said for rice dishes and curries. So the entire experience is up to the individual guest. So far there have been plenty of takers, hence the continuous rise in the extra charge.

I'm not dismissing anything. I am asking what you get for the service charge.

Here are a few pictures from the extra charge Jasmine (Asian) from a few years ago. There was only one choice for appetizer but it consisted of three different items. There were three choices for main course. (There were six of us and two of us ordered each and we shared.) I forgot to take a picture of the dessert but as I recall it was not very Asian.

I have to admit I didn't care for most of the meal but my friends really loved it.

b185d74b35ac2be07d526298e57abe3e.jpg

Appetizers

0ca8a3eadd031c63a758123e258b5123.jpg

3e3eb24d7c53c16fb20fbb1533eb4f48.jpg

85538d8bf494e5b57c5469c37b8cdcf3.jpg

I was told that charges were applied due to people taking the mick when the special dining was free. Too many people booking then not turning up.This meant genuine bookings being turned down as the restaurant was fully booked, then half empty in the evenings.

My original question was referring to the included in fare buffet....not the one with an extra charge.

The reason for my original question was because I have a very delicate digestive system I can only eat very plain food....no spices....sauces or anything like that. When we have cruised with P&O the evening buffet was themed every evening and most of what was on offer had some sort of "extra" on it or in it....very very little to eat as an alternative....unless you had a real love of lettuce leaves!

My original question was referring to the included in fare buffet....not the one with an extra charge.

The reason for my original question was because I have a very delicate digestive system I can only eat very plain food....no spices....sauces or anything like that. When we have cruised with P&O the evening buffet was themed every evening and most of what was on offer had some sort of "extra" on it or in it....very very little to eat as an alternative....unless you had a real love of lettuce leaves!

On booking one can declare one's dietary requirements, these then are passed to the designated restaurant. If any of the varied foods presented in the Lido are not to your liking, then the MD will assist.

Hi. Yes there are themes in the buffet area - see posts 3 and 4 on the previous page. :) But I'm sure you'll be able to find something plain as well.

Later on in the thread someone else enquired about the extra charge one.

Yes I think they would, however, I doubt you would want to take very young children to the alternative evening dining as the portions per person are quite large and I'd doubt they would do any substitutes.

I'm not too sure if the various 'Evening Themed Menus' of Indian Curry, Pan Asian cuisine or Smoked House would be suitable for young children of the age of 2 or 6 .

I understood Kitkat343's question related to (the Cunard) "Themed Alternative Dining" where there is an additional charge. I'm afraid there are no children's menus in the Alternative 'fee paying' dining venues, what would be the point of this ? . However, I guess one could make 'prior arrangements' with the kitchen, but surely thy would not want to be encouraging this. ?

I often dine in the Alternative venues , I don't think I've ever seen any 'very young' children aged 2 in the Verandah, or the late dining in the (additional fee) Themed Lido/Kings Court dining., however, I stand corrected.

What are the parents supposed to do with their children? Phone up a babysitter? As I've said, the galley has a selection of children's dishes that can be quickly be prepared. As for not "encouraging" this, we are talking about Cunard aren't we?

Please don't be getting upset with me, the original question from Kitkat was " Is there a charge for children ( kids 2/6) in the themed alternative dining ".

As for Cunard,"not encouraging" (children taking up space/tables at 'no extra charge') I would have thought that the idea of an additional fee in these 'alternative venues' is to generate more revenue for Carnival/Cunard ?

It's common sense, Bookings/Tables & Space are often limited in the 'Alternative dining venues' , especially for the Indian Curry themed evening, which is very popular. In addition to regular guests, there are often dozens of Diamond guests who will transfer their complimentary vouchers to these evening thememed events and often we will find space/bookings are limited.

What are the parents supposed to do with their children? Phone up a babysitter? As I've said, the galley has a selection of children's dishes that can be quickly be prepared. As for not "encouraging" this, we are talking about Cunard aren't we?

Cunard say

Children are more than welcome to dine in our Alternative Fine Dining Restaurants.

A children’s menu is not standard in these restaurants however please speak to the restaurant manager should your child have any special requirements.

see

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/Children_fed

".

As for Cunard,"not encouraging" (children taking up space/tables at 'no extra charge') I would have thought that the idea of an additional fee in these 'alternative venues' is to generate more revenue for Carnival/Cunard ?

Please see my earlier post why Cunard brought charges in for alternative dining. As for children taking up space, they would be sitting at their parents table.