NCL Charging for Guppies on Escape Drop off

leeker13

A friend sent me this about the Escape

Guppies Nursery – Our first ever venue dedicated and staffed to care for kids 6 months to 2 years, includes:

• Open Play Room for parents and babies featuring activities hosted by the Early Years Coordinator

• Drop-off, fee-based service for babies/toddlers, 6 months – 3 years old

• Child care certified Early Years Coordinator and Nursery Staff

• Active Room with sensory based activities, games, toys based a on daily theme

• Interactive Media

• Quiet Room for babies to rest/sleep

• Diaper changing, formula feeding and snacks provided

• Blocked time schedule on Embarkation Day, Sea Days and Port Days

I know this was talked about here on CC,but I actually do not know where it was posted it would be free or if that was just what people thought/hoped for.

Why do I have to pay for an under two? :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they would be changing diapers, feeding and, not to mention, children of those ages need more supervision than the older children. I'd bet if you are there just playing with your child, there probably wouldn't be a fee, because it is called a drop off fee. Many cruises lines charge for babysitting and it looks like NCL just upped the quality by having a dedicated room with fun features for the little ones, unlike others where they just come to your cabin and babysit. Edited by NLH Arizona

If I had to guess, the reason is two-fold:

1. It is much more expensive for them to run an infant/toddler program since a higher staff to child ratio is required at younger ages.

2. I imagine that space is limited and this is one way of curbing usage so that guests will hopefully not get shut out due to the space being at capacity.

Be interesting to see how much it will cost. May be cheaper to take grandad instead! :-)

Looks like babysitting on cruise ships can run anywhere between $6.00 and $10.00 an hour. Edited by NLH Arizona

You don't have to pay anything unless you want NCL to babysit your child. If you and your child want to utilize the play area there is no cost. Only if you want them to take care of your child.

I get that. I'm just a little surprised that over threes is comp but under twos is charged.

I get the reasons too, workers vs kids ratio, hazardous waste, etc.

Was looking at the escape for next year as DD will be 2.5 at the time we like to sail. So would probably get a lot out of the kid clubs, but will be too small for the normal group sessions on older ships.

We shall see. She's never been to childcare up to now, so it's more of a theory at the moment.

I've taken my grandkids on numerous cruises, most recently on the Epic last February with my 9 month old grandson. I would never expect the cruise line to provide free child care to kids under 3, and offer the kinds of kids programs NCL offers for the older ones at no cost either. The fact that NCL does it for the older kids is an adult perk, and I do appreciate it.;)

I get that. I'm just a little surprised that over threes is comp but under twos is charged.

I get the reasons too, workers vs kids ratio, hazardous waste, etc.

Was looking at the escape for next year as DD will be 2.5 at the time we like to sail. So would probably get a lot out of the kid clubs, but will be too small for the normal group sessions on older ships.

We shall see. She's never been to childcare up to now, so it's more of a theory at the moment.

This is pretty standard. Disney cruise line has always had a nursery for the under 3 set since their first ship set sail in the 90's and it's always been fee based. You are also only allowed to pre-reserve a certain amount of time and can try to get more once on board.

I've never sailed with little ones, so I'm not sure of the details. For a child under 3 is there any charge to be on the ship? Do they count as a third person in a cabin? Are they exempt from DSC?

If so, this could be part of the rationale. 3 years and up are paying for the services on the ship which includes entertainment, while under 3s are not.

Just a thought.

Just thought I would put out the diaper changing fee for the regular kids program, that would be included in the new nursery fee.

Diaper Changing Fee: $28.00 (Nurse imposed fee when a parent is not reachable by the Splash Academy staff that their child needs to have their diaper changed)

I think the new program is wonderful for those with little ones on the ship, giving Mom and Dad to have a bit of free time to themselves. I don't think it was ever meant to drop off in the morning and pick up at the end of the day.

There is no daily service charge for guests under age 3, but they do count as a guest in the cabin and would pay the applicable 3rd - 8th guest rate which is generally discounted.

Edited by Got Tequila?

This policy is consistent with what Disney and RCI do for cruisers under age 3. On some ships you have no childcare option for children that young. I found the cost to be very reasonable, between $6 and $8 an hour on RCI and Disney. The nursery changes diapers, puts children down for nap, and handle feedings if necessary. I was extremely hesitant to use RCI's nursery (nervous parent), but found the caregivers to be excellent, at least on the two sailings I experienced.

Edited by Island_Chica

I think that's nice that they have that for toddlers/infants!!!!

It was originally advertised as FREE. So, yes, it was nicer before it became for a fee.

Although I was somewhat ticked when it was rumored to be for a fee, once I learned what the services include I do feel it is good value and prefer having the option to pay for the care versus not having it at as an option at all.

Edited by LMaxwell

I am thinking you are saying this tongue in cheek, right? of course there should be a charge. caring for infants and toddlers is a bit differnt than kids over 3. Just like in land based child care, depending on the age of the child the prices vary. In fact I am surprised ships are not charging for child care for kids under 5? Most land resorts do.

I am thinking you are saying this tongue in cheek, right? of course there should be a charge. caring for infants and toddlers is a bit differnt than kids over 3. Just like in land based child care, depending on the age of the child the prices vary. In fact I am surprised ships are not charging for child care for kids under 5? Most land resorts do.

Partially.

As referred to earlier I get why, I'd rather it be consistent.

Selfishly, DD will be 3 months short of three if we sail at our usual time next year.

So too little for the kids club, but would hopefully be toilet trained by then and very different from being a baby-baby of 6 months.

We will cruise regardless, I may not bother with the Escape next year and wait for it to be nearly new rather than brand new, as the childcare wouldn't be a perk that would make up for paying the premium of a new ship.

Then again I may get giddy and book it anyway cos I love a new ship!

Partially.

As referred to earlier I get why, I'd rather it be consistent.

Selfishly, DD will be 3 months short of three if we sail at our usual time next year.

So too little for the kids club, but would hopefully be toilet trained by then and very different from being a baby-baby of 6 months.

We will cruise regardless, I may not bother with the Escape next year and wait for it to be nearly new rather than brand new, as the childcare wouldn't be a perk that would make up for paying the premium of a new ship.

Then again I may get giddy and book it anyway cos I love a new ship!

I know the subject comes up all the time: but so close to a certain age or just over a certain age, but they have to have breakoff guidelines. Only you can judger if it is worth it to wait those few months. BTW, potty trained, she probably will be. I am sure, from my memory and that of my grandkids now, you will certainly be glad to toss those diapers, right? Enjoy your cruise whenever you decide to take it. Yes, a brand new ship is a wonderful experience, We were on the Jewel when she crossed the Atlantic for her first voyage and on the Sun when she was only a few months old.