Big changes coming

redshine

This new Oceania strategy is actually quite appealing to me, but the only thing I can find on their website about it is the press release. Has anybody seen the new pricing yet? Do we have to wait until the current promotions end (on July 5) to see the new fares?

+1

See my post #28 above.

In my scenario both cruise lines were "all inclusive" yet apparently one was still a luxury and the other remained premium - so "all inclusive" was not the difference :confused:. It was never explained to me, although Don had a suggestion - maybe you'll get the real answer :)

One more time... there must be a server problem. :rolleyes:

I took a shot at this a while ago...

A Luxury Cruise Line is one that delivers an adult vacation experience with class and dignity, one that exceeds your normal real life experience. One that delivers excellence at all levels and provides delight in every aspect of your trip, without logistical stress.

Both RSSC and O meet this definition. ..one all prepaid, the other ala carte.

...pretty simple

As some one who spent 40 years in finance working with high net worth individuals, not all people of means are willing to spend on opulence. Most of them would not be caught dead talking about their wealth or assuming what others can and cannot afford. We have friends who can easily cruise on any line at any time for any amount of money. Sometimes they cruise Regent, Oceania or Crystal and sometimes they might be on HAL or Princess or RCCL. They never take what they can afford - they take what will meet their needs.

It's quite crass to assume that people can't afford Regent or First/Business Class Air. And it's really rude to typecast fellow passengers in that light. Some travelers have different priorities and to pigeon hole them by your standards is just wrong.

One of my best cruises ever was the lowest outside cabin on a Royal Caribbean itinerary. I had adjoining cabins with my granddaughters - then age 7 or 8. They are 18 now. It was what available and I jumped to go with the girls. They got to go to a "Foreign Country" and dress up for dinner. I got their hair braided in the Bo Derek style by a street vendor. They still talk about that cruise as if it were a highlight of their lives. To share the experience was the highlight and priority.

As some one who spent 40 years in finance working with high net worth individuals, not all people of means are willing to spend on opulence. Most of them would not be caught dead talking about their wealth or assuming what others can and cannot afford. We have friends who can easily cruise on any line at any time for any amount of money. Sometimes they cruise Regent, Oceania or Crystal and sometimes they might be on HAL or Princess or RCCL. They never take what they can afford - they take what will meet their needs.

It's quite crass to assume that people can't afford Regent or First/Business Class Air. And it's really rude to typecast fellow passengers in that light. Some travelers have different priorities and to pigeon hole them by your standards is just wrong.

Very well put, Kathy.

well said

Some people are just faux snobs & just want you to think they have class

;)

Some of the TOP cruisers on Oceania book the Oceanview or B Cabins

Edited by LHT28

It's quite crass to assume that people can't afford Regent or First/Business Class Air. And it's really rude to typecast fellow passengers in that light. Some travelers have different priorities and to pigeon hole them by your standards is just wrong. [\QUOTE]

I totally agree.

Mo

It is a bit frustrating to be misunderstood on such a sensitive topic. I really do understand that many people can afford to spend more money but choose not to. My DH is very frugal at home but is happy to pay for a large suite on Regent. We drive Toyota Corollas - not a Rolls Royce or Mercedes. Just trying to get the "snob" factor put in its' place.

Typecasting people is an interesting topic. One may not like to hear it or read about it but there are different types of people -- this is not necessarily a bad thing. This is not based on age, race, sexual orientation or gender but rather on how they choose to live and, in the case of cruising, how they choose to cruise. IMO, saying that some NCL cruisers can't afford Regent isn't meant as a slam -- it is a fact. Have any of you read posts regarding whether or not you really have to have a passport for some cruises? There are families that really scrimp and save for a cruise and cannot afford to get passports for all of their family members.

Again, it is Frank Del Rio that states that Regent is luxury and Oceania is premium (or premium plus) -- I am simply quoting him. As stated earlier, I do see differences in Oceania and Regent. At the risk of being slammed, a few regulars on the Regent board have posted their "take" on the food in the Terrace Café and MDR on Oceania (specifically the Riviera). They simply do not care for it (nor do I). In the Terrace Café, the quality of some of the food is just not there. The staff seem less trained than in other areas of the ship.

It will be interesting to see how the prices compare to Regent when all of the new promotional items are put into place. Right now, on many itineraries, Oceania is around the same price as Regent in the PH and above categories (if you add on gratuities, the premium alcohol package, internet package and excursions).

P.S. Mura, once again, thanks for your explanation. I do know that you don't dislike Regent and I hope you do try a Regent cruise -- I think that you are open minded enough to enjoy it (as is computerworks, hondorner and a few others).

Edited by Travelcat2

...I think that you are open minded enough to enjoy it (as is computerworks, hondorner and a few others).

Heck, I'll sail anything if I can afford it, if I like where it's going, and if there are people to meet. HawaiainDan once said of me that I'd sail on a tuna boat if it was going where I wanted to go. I liked my two cruise on Regent; unfortunately it's out of range of my budget currently. I was ready to sacrifice to sail Explorer on her maiden voyage, since I had already sailed the maidens of Marina and Riviera, but Regent's class system reared it's head, and only those folks with enough loyalty credits got to sign up. At more than a thousand dollars per day per person for a suite 23 Sq Ft smaller than a veranda on Marina or Riviera, I'm actually glad I was shut out.

But, it is my open mindedness that let's me enjoy Regent, Oceania, NCL and even Carnival, along with American Queen and Viking, and anything else that attracts me at the moment.

But, essentially it's essentially how I feel about my budget at the moment. When I feel really good about it, I've sailed Regent, or Oceania in a suite. If I feel a little shaky about it, it's Oceania in an Ocean View or NCL in a suite. When I feel really poor, it's NCL in a veranda. I haven't yet felt so broke that I'd sail NCL in an inside, and I can afford a passport ;), but the decade isn't over yet.

And snobbery? I'm a hick from Okeechobee; I don't even know how to spell snob (I checked -- lucky guess :cool:).

Edited by hondorner

I wonder if that means they are going to stop offering new perk 6-8 mths out

We always book over a yr in advance then see perks added later so far my TA has been able to get us the new incentives but does not work for everyone

I could care less about the free excursions & already get the PPG

not a big deal for me

To me it is smells of another marketing ploy because sales are slow on some sailings ;)

Cynical maybe

just saying

Lyn

Completely agree!!! On Riviera 8/5, booked a year out as a 14 day cruise and then O sells it as two 7 day cruises with Your World Sale for both but not for 14 day cruise and with no B2B discount. Had to fight with O to add "Sale" amenities to our 14 day and did get it. Then price of both 7's were reduced and are $600 less than 14 day!!! What happened to assurance you get the BEST PRICE booking while on board? I was offered $100 OBC when I requested a price adjustment prior to final payment.

Probably will not go with Oceania any longer....this has been very unpleasant and unfair. Rewarding 7 day and overcharging the 14? Makes no sense.

What happened to assurance you get the BEST PRICE booking while on board?

Or booking well in advance

I think some at HO forgot to read the marketing memo

"Since its inception Oceania Cruises has rewarded guests who book early with the best possible fares"

Years ago you did get the best price booking early no extra perks added 8 mths out do discounts ..prices went up if anything

The ships were fully booked

More cabins to fill now the discounting begins

The shine has worn off

Time will tell if the "best price mantra" holds water

jmo

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Hondorner, I know what you are saying about the maiden voyage of the Expl. When I was doing my first on Regent this last December/January, I went to the see the on board booking agent. I was promptly told that I had not been on Regent enough to get a booking until all the loyalty guests had their chance to book.

I asked my agent to book the maiden, and when the day of the bookings opened, she contacted me and gave me my room number for the maiden. So there is a Ship God (just like my Golf God sometimes).

The unfortuante thing is we had to cancel that booking.

What it boils down to is you pick the cruise you want at the price point you are happy with.

If it's there at release, that's great. If you wait for a sale, you may get it , but the cabin you want may be gone. It's like everything else we buy. Somethings we pay full price, some we get a bit of a discount and then there are times you score something at a large discount.

Stores will often price match for a couple of weeks, but not up to the bitter end. So why do people expect cruise lines to do that?

Our first few cruises were all full early on, and as Lyn says, the prices went up. The marketplace has changed and we now have to choose the price point we are content with, and then forget about the price and enjoy the cruise!

I'm the first one to jump on an amazing sale, but I also buy at retail. Right now I'm searching for a super automatic espresso machine. Ours died recently and I'm not willing to pay retail. So I watch the sales, and drink crappy coffee. My choice totally. Your mileage may vary...

Mo

Right now I'm searching for a super automatic espresso machine. Ours died recently and I'm not willing to pay retail. So I watch the sales, and drink crappy coffee. My choice totally. Your mileage may vary...

Mo

MO

OH NO not the crappy coffee

Check for the Delonghi machines Sears sometimes have them on sale

We had to take ours in for service last fall OMG days without good coffee was awful :eek:

Lyn

MO

OH NO not the crappy coffee

Check for the Delonghi machines Sears sometimes have them on sale

We had to take ours in for service last fall OMG days without good coffee was awful :eek:

Lyn

Don't forget that on the 1st tuesday of every month seniors get 15% off at The Bay;)

I'm the first one to jump on an amazing sale, but I also buy at retail. Right now I'm searching for a super automatic espresso machine. Ours died recently and I'm not willing to pay retail. So I watch the sales, and drink crappy coffee. My choice totally. Your mileage may vary...

Mo

Costco has them. Have been very happy with a Saeco and the current one is a Jura Capresso. I bought a Gaggia and did not love it.

Right after we booked our next Oceania cruise the new promotion came out. There is one person on the roll call

Don't forget that on the 1st tuesday of every month seniors get 15% off at The Bay;)

Not sure I qualify.......

Have been stalking a small Jura that just makes espresso. I use the Nespresso milk foamer and it's so much easier than using the steaming wand that we don't need that function as we never use it. The one that just died was a Saeco, one before that Delonghi. I think the Delonghi made better coffee, but the Saeco was much quieter. Good to know about the Gaggia.

As for sales, we took a Caribbean cruise last Nov that was on a large reduction. It was our first 7 day cruise and I was worried it would be over before it started. But it was a very pleasant interlude and I would do again in a heartbeat at the right price.

Mo

What it boils down to is you pick the cruise you want at the price point you are happy with.

If it's there at release, that's great. If you wait for a sale, you may get it , but the cabin you want may be gone. It's like everything else we buy. Somethings we pay full price, some we get a bit of a discount and then there are times you score something at a large discount.

Stores will often price match for a couple of weeks, but not up to the bitter end. So why do people expect cruise lines to do that?

Our first few cruises were all full early on, and as Lyn says, the prices went up. The marketplace has changed and we now have to choose the price point we are content with, and then forget about the price and enjoy the cruise!

Mo

I think there is a difference one needs to consider. If my coffee machine breaks down I want a new one fairly soon, not 18 months from now, whereas a cruise 18 months away isn't something I need right this minute. I do think the market has changed and Oceania are still trying to get people to book on a best price promise that doesn't work for me. The price of our last cruise dropped so I asked for and received a "complimentary" upgrade, but I'd rather have had the difference in cash back. They offered free internet as a bonus but refused the free drinks package that was also on offer to new bookings.

Although I agree with booking a price you're comfortable with and not looking again at prices this was made impossible by Oceania who kept sending me both emails and flyers with new deals on the cruise I'd already booked and paid for months previously. That's what really annoyed me. Yet they continued to insist that it was best for me to book as early as possible!

I did think that the fact that they offered me the upgrade and internet was a very decent thing to do, I was fully paid up so they didn't have to do that, but I'd still have saved thousands of dollars by waiting.

Not sure I qualify.......

Have been stalking a small Jura that just makes espresso. I use the Nespresso milk foamer and it's so much easier than using the steaming wand that we don't need that function as we never use it. The one that just died was a Saeco, one before that Delonghi. I think the Delonghi made better coffee, but the Saeco was much quieter. Good to know about the Gaggia.

As for sales, we took a Caribbean cruise last Nov that was on a large reduction. It was our first 7 day cruise and I was worried it would be over before it started. But it was a very pleasant interlude and I would do again in a heartbeat at the right price.

Mo

All you need to be is 55 plus.

One more time... there must be a server problem. :rolleyes:

I took a shot at this a while ago...

A Luxury Cruise Line is one that delivers an adult vacation experience with class and dignity, one that exceeds your normal real life experience. One that delivers excellence at all levels and provides delight in every aspect of your trip, without logistical stress.

Both RSSC and O meet this definition. ..one all prepaid, the other ala carte.

...pretty simple

Yes, but it seems your definition would be more about the perception of the cruiser. For some, Celebrity, Carnival or even Princess would fit that bill, and we know that ain't right.

Edited by ORV

Just wanted to say "bravo" to ChatKat and Horndoner, very well put!

Although all of us are Armchair Admirals to a certain extent, from what I have seen on the two Boards, the people who are most resistant to the two lines amalgamating are the Regent Old Guard who have a horror of Oceania muck contaminating "their" Cruise Line.

I can also play clairvoyant here and point out that the first three people who INSIST that this is not so will also be the people who are most guilty of it. :D

In my experience it's the Oceania crowd who think of Regent with horror, because of the all-inclusiveness. Ironic that that's the subject of this thread, as Oceania tries it on. I for one would welcome included alcohol, above all else, not because I myself drink very much any more, but because it "oils the wheels" in the lounges, and makes everyone more friendly. This is in my experience when Regent went all-inclusive for alcohol. I found the lounges on Rivieria either incredibly packed because there was a happy hour, or so empty you could shoot a canon through them

Agree. Very frequently the average O cruiser is described as "well traveled", which is generally not the type of cruiser that wants the hand-holding ashore, or at least not in every port.

And Regent cruisers are not "well travelled"? They are definitely not the type to want hand-holding, although after a certain age, some want to be coddled a bit, granted, but that's true on both lines I think.

I must say that based on a single crossing on Riviera, and something like ten or so on Regent, I didn't connect that well with fellow pax on my O cruise. But that's an anecdotal data point. Looking forward to trying again--Regent is too rich for my blood these days.

All you need to be is 55 plus.

Whew! Then I make the cut!

I have a friend who is very up on all the senior discount days.

Funny story: I got a discount at Shoppers several months ago without asking or being asked. My friend tells me they give it to everyone because they don't want to "offend" by asking, and they don't want to miss anyone who is "entitled".

DD was home from Africa and she always loads up on essentials while here so I told her we would go to Shoppers on seniors day and get the discount. Cranky woman asked for ID, informed me I didn't qualify, that I had to be 60, no ifs and or buts. Makes quite a scene. Then she gives me the discount, and insists that Katelyn's purchases be put through on the discount as well. I'm thinking that the Loblaws ownership may have changed the policy. In any case I won't be back until I'm 60, if then. ;-)

Mo