Thinking About Cancelling Alaska and Replacing with Bermuda

disneygirl10

I have been to both Alaska and Bermuda each twice. Next summer, my husband and I are taking our grandson (by then he will be 9 1/2 years old to Alaska). I think, for him, he will find it more interesting. However, when I went to Alaska the first time I went from Whittier to Vancouver and saw some fantastic glaciers. I wasn't impressed as much with the r/t from Seattle the second-time we went. I'm not sure if you mentioned which cruise line you were going on. We went both times on Princess, but the first one was a cruise-tour of Alaska. Next summer, we are doing another cruise-tour with our grandson. Also, with global warming, the glaciers may not be around forever.

Bermuda is also wonderful. But that can be done at another time in my opinion.

Thanks,

Arlene

I feel so unprepared. I am currently knee deep in WDW/DCL planning, and then this opportunity to sail Norwegian fell into my lap about 2 weeks ago. I know absolutely nothing about NCL, besides what I've googled and read here since, and I feel like I made a rushed decision.

The draw with Alaska is obvious. The draw with Bermuda is twofold- first the ship. The Getaway has a lot more "bells and whistles" than the Pearl, and I don't want my son to be disappointed, especially since it will be a relatively short time after coming off of a Disney cruise. Secondly, because I do think that the snorkeling would be great- especially with the shipwreck stories. I'm an avid diver, but have to stick to snorkeling when traveling with kiddo for a few more years.

Ha ha! I don't think Alaska on NCL (where OP is currently booked) = Nordstrom.

OP wants to go to Alaska in 2017. She's already taking a Caribbean cruise, which will have better beaches, IMO, than Bermuda, so an Alaska experience would be a good choice.

Is NCL that bad?

With no context or reasoning, I would discount any replies that just say one is good and the other is bad.

Bermuda=bad

Alaska= good

Does that really help?

I would lean toward Alaska simply because it has experiences you and your son can have almost nowhere else in the world. No videos or photos can fully prepare you fro the amazing sites and views in Alaska. Bermuda is lovely and a great choice, but since you have a Caribbean sailing also booked I would stick with Alaska for the sake of variety.

Thank you for this!

Good point -keep the Alaaka, then do beaches anywhere.

Of course, if someone stays around the Dockyard tourist trap, Bermuda is awful. If you get around - a bit of Hamilton, more of St. George, perhaps a dinner at Tom Moore's, try different beaches - you will see that Bermuda blows away every other island. To really appreciate if, learn how to ride a motor scooter - and get a lot of practice before you go, then you can REALLY experience the island, which is unlike any other.

I lived in Key West in my very early 20s, I had a Vespa so the scooter isn't a problem. Having my kid on the back is though.lol Hamilton looks incredible, we definitely like to explore while we're traveling!

Total nonsense! :cool:

I'm from Boca Raton!! Moved away from SoFla 3 years ago..oh how I miss it!

I have been to both Alaska and Bermuda each twice. Next summer, my husband and I are taking our grandson (by then he will be 9 1/2 years old to Alaska). I think, for him, he will find it more interesting. However, when I went to Alaska the first time I went from Whittier to Vancouver and saw some fantastic glaciers. I wasn't impressed as much with the r/t from Seattle the second-time we went. I'm not sure if you mentioned which cruise line you were going on. We went both times on Princess, but the first one was a cruise-tour of Alaska. Next summer, we are doing another cruise-tour with our grandson. Also, with global warming, the glaciers may not be around forever.

Bermuda is also wonderful. But that can be done at another time in my opinion.

Thanks,

Arlene

Thank you! I agree about the glaciers not being around forever.

What didn't you like about the R/T Seattle cruise? The one we are currently booked on, Norwegian Pearl, does include Glacier Bay, was that also in your itinerary?

Context is important - Alaska here means NCL, read WALMART.

Great. Now I'm really worried. What is so bad about NCL?

Our original summer '17 vacay was doing an 11 night MSC to Germany/UK/Iceland, spending a few days in Hamburg first. I didn't know much about that cruise line either, but I liked what I heard about a very diverse group of people traveling.

The main thing was the itinerary.. and I was not about to pay over $13k for 2 people in a regular balcony room with Disney to do Iceland.

I cancelled (postponed) that trip once this opportunity came up with NCL, it seems too good to pass up.

Edited by disneygirl10

Thank you! I agree about the glaciers not being around forever.

What didn't you like about the R/T Seattle cruise? The one we are currently booked on, Norwegian Pearl, does include Glacier Bay, was that also in your itinerary?

Our R/T from Seattle did not include Glacier Bay. It included Mendenhall Glacier, which was nice, but not as exciting as College Fjord and Glacier Bay, IMO.

Arlene

Hmm, as a retired teacher, my thoughts are these- at 6 can he truly remember the awesome experience of Alaska??? Soooo much to see, experience, remember for a life time... My first thought was Alaska, but then I began to think about a six year old... Bermuda would be more visceral for him- warm sand, warmish water, etc.

Alaska, mountains- not always a big deal to kids, snow like wise- ice bergs YES a big deal... the glacier bay experience may be boring after a bit... etc.

Save Alaska for when the child is older (early 30's) unless the child is real unusual and LOVES nature and can truly understand the magnificence of Alaska... Good Luck!

There is nothing wrong with NCL, it's just that people may have a bias against them and have loyalties to other lines. NCL is just not their cup of tea.

We've cruised on five different lines and although NCL is not our favorite, we found nothing wrong with them. We didn't compare to our favorite and saw NCL as different. I don't feel the need to trash another line.

I know any number of people who cruise only on NCL. Could it be that bad if they keep going back?

If you book Haven (essentially first class fare for first class accommodations and dine in specialty restaurants), there is nothing "so bad".

If you go regular, you will experience the reasons why everyone who can afford Haven pay extra to get it. You will also see why NCL is so much less expensive than Disney.

If you book Haven (essentially first class fare for first class accommodations and dine in specialty restaurants), there is nothing "so bad".

If you go regular, you will experience the reasons why everyone who can afford Haven pay extra to get it. You will also see why NCL is so much less expensive than Disney.

I'm not spending $19k (I think that's what it was) for the Haven. I was considering upgrading to a non Haven penthouse with large balcony suite (cat SF), but have decided against that, and am in a regular balcony room. I just don't see the value in the extra price. We will be doing 2-4 speciality restaurants though.

Every non luxury line is cheaper than Disney, some itineraries I can justify their extra cost, some I can not. The 11 night Northern Europe/Iceland, Southern Caribbean and Alaska are included in the "not" category.

The NCL cruise, certain itineraries, are "complimentary" to me as of this month.

Obviously I have to pay all other fees and upgrades above my included oceanview category, so it comes out to about 55% off. Like a said, that's too good (in my opinion) to pass up...but at the same time, the savings wouldn't be worth it if it's a horrible experience.

Edited by disneygirl10

My 2 cents -- Alaska!!

Bermuda is okay -- did it a couple of times.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises and loved everyone of them. Did them on HAL, Princess and NCL.

I decided to keep the current reservation, still back and forth about if I will be changing the category.lol,,but I'll deal with that later.

Thanks all for the input!!!

who you get your information from. Some people who slam certain cruiselines have a high loyalty status on a competitor (read perks). I went on two NCL cruises to Alaska and my last was on HAL. I was expecting to be wowed on HAL but it wasn't that way at all. The food was just a tad better but the service in the MDR was horrible, although I think it was our particular team that was the problem. I had a balcony on HAL and an outside cabin on the Pearl. The Westerdam was on par to the Pearl in many respects but the Pearl's clientele was more "lively", in a good way.

The Haven is WAY out of our league. We have been in the Haven as a guest and it is a different world but not one that I can afford!

The day at Glacier Bay on the Pearl and the HAL Westerdam was almost identical except HAL gives you warm pea soup on deck... The ranger presentation was the same.

Don't let people tell you that HAL or Princess does Alaska better because they have been there longer. The only benefit is that are given seniority to be one of the two ships in Glacier Bay. NCL also has some of the precious permits. Hopefully, that silly rule will change when it expires in a few years.

So, don't let cheerleaders from other cruiselines worry you. I am thrilled to be on ANY cruiseship and have cruised enough to not let the naysayers influence my decisions.

who you get your information from. Some people who slam certain cruiselines have a high loyalty status on a competitor (read perks). I went on two NCL cruises to Alaska and my last was on HAL. I was expecting to be wowed on HAL but it wasn't that way at all. The food was just a tad better but the service in the MDR was horrible, although I think it was our particular team that was the problem. I had a balcony on HAL and an outside cabin on the Pearl. The Westerdam was on par to the Pearl in many respects but the Pearl's clientele was more "lively", in a good way.

The Haven is WAY out of our league. We have been in the Haven as a guest and it is a different world but not one that I can afford!

The day at Glacier Bay on the Pearl and the HAL Westerdam was almost identical except HAL gives you warm pea soup on deck... The ranger presentation was the same.

Don't let people tell you that HAL or Princess does Alaska better because they have been there longer. The only benefit is that are given seniority to be one of the two ships in Glacier Bay. NCL also has some of the precious permits. Hopefully, that silly rule will change when it expires in a few years.

So, don't let cheerleaders from other cruiselines worry you. I am thrilled to be on ANY cruiseship and have cruised enough to not let the naysayers influence my decisions.

Thank you so much for your post! I read, almost daily, DCL loyalists saying that "you get what you pay for" and Disney is the "only way to go". I take that with a grain of salt..I think I said earlier in the thread that I chose MSC, In a suite, for several thousand less than the cost of a midship balcony on DCL for UK/Iceland. I've postponed that trip to do Alaska next summer due to this available discount with NCL. I do think we would have been fine on MSC though. Don't get me wrong, im looking forward to our DCL Fantasy Christmas cruise this year, but I've started to get just as excited about this Alaska trip with NCL. I was worried for a moment, but realized that everyone just has different opinions, and I've been reading several trip reports on the NCL board that are extremely encouraging :).

But aren't you doing the same things and being a naysayer. You've never sailed Princess but are you are saying that just because they have been there/done that longer doesn't make them better. What if they really are better and you just haven't tried them? And you've only had one HAL cruise. You had one bad experience with HAL so don't try them either.

Maybe for many the "only benefit" of Glacier Bay is what makes the trip better. Don't bash it before you try it.

Edited by notentirelynormal

IMO not much in Bermuda for your son except swimming and snorkeling. I did Pearl in an Aft minisuite deck 10 last July and it was amazing. It will be something he remembers hopefully. Bermuda is beautiful but quiet and just another beach to a kid. Alaska for sure.

Edited by CRAustin

Simply saying that if you are going on an Alaskan cruise you are going for ALASKA. Once you step off the ship, the towns and independent tours are all going to be the same. No doubt the ship experience is different with different cruise lines or ships. I'm talking about the reason we go on Alaskan cruises is to see an amazing part of our country.

I wouldn't hesitate to go on a Princess or another HAL cruise, but it is unfair to dismiss some of the cruise lines that may be a bit less expensive. I was surprised that the food, service and entertainment were very good on my one and only Carnival cruise. I think these lines are more similar than different.

Why don't you ask your son what he prefers. Since he has an interest in Glaciers & getting the chance to see whales & knowing he is going on beach cruise with Disney later I bet I know which one he would choose. If it was me I would sit down with him & explain what he would be seeing and doing & get his opinion. Let us know.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all of the advice!

So..months later.. I just made the switch from the Pearl to the Escape. Yesterday. I think he will have more to do on the Escape..I chose a Western Caribbean. Kiddo is a huge fan of waterslides, I think we'll have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so torn and would appreciate any input!I currently have an Alaska cruise (rt out of Seattle) booked for June '17. I am now considering if Bermuda would be the better choice. Travel party is myself and a 6 year old boy.

All plans need to be finalized by 8/31 or I lose my discount.

Thought on the 2 itineraries?

My child loves Glaciers (from what he's learned about them, never has seen one), and doesn't mind cool weather (originally I had planned on Northern Europe/Iceland itinerary before receiving this offer from Norwegian). He also loves the beach and we have never been to Bermuda.

We will be doing a Western Caribbean on Disney this winter, so if it were you- would you stick with Alaska for something 'different'?

I have been to Bermuda. The best thing that I can say about the place is - boring - and that is being kind to the place. I would not go back there again if the cruise was free. On the other hand, I have been to AK 5 or 6 times and I love the place.

DON

I have been to Bermuda. The best thing that I can say about the place is - boring - and that is being kind to the place. I would not go back there again if the cruise was free. On the other hand, I have been to AK 5 or 6 times and I love the place.

DON

Thank you. Alaska does look amazing.

As a retired teacher, thinking of your son, the sights in Alaska will last him a lifetime and he will also get some fascinating history and sociology lessons!

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. This trip was planned to be 2 nights Seattle, the cruise, and then 6 nights doing a road trip on the Olympic Peninsula. I've been researching like crazy.

The Pearl itself has me concerned, but even more so are the excursions that he would be limited on due to age, as well as hiking that I'm not sure if we'll be able to do alone.

I think this specific trip is better to hold off on until he is 9 or 10.

Kayaking in Orca Bay is a must do for us, I'm not quite sure that I'm comfortable with a just turned 7 year old on that kind of excursion. The recommendation is 2 adults with a child in the kayak, when he's a little older then it won't be as big of a deal.

Same with some of the trails in Olympic National Park.. there's an 11.5 mile one which looks incredible. I don't know how comfortable I am with that either. My plan was to practice hiking before we went, I don't think that will be enough though.

With all of those factors combined- I think that a ship like the Escape is a better fit this year.

Unfortunately, he's still limited on a few excursions on the Western, but it's an easy place to do again. Alaska is more of an "experience once" destination for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO not much in Bermuda for your son except swimming and snorkeling. I did Pearl in an Aft minisuite deck 10 last July and it was amazing. It will be something he remembers hopefully. Bermuda is beautiful but quiet and just another beach to a kid. Alaska for sure.

If you think there is nothing to do in Bermuda, check out the list here.

SBtS