Passport vs. birth certificate for minors

MaiTaiMary

Do you have documented proof of this or is this your opinion?

The DHS regulations specifically state that the passport requirements may be waived in an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. The CCL ship that let everyone off in St Marten was well discussed on the CCL board.

Double the cost of a child's passport since it has to renewed every 5 years. And I said if you have no plans to travel via international air in that time period than it's money down the drain. Obviously if you are traveling with it then it's not a waste of money. I agree that no on can judge another for what they choose since the choice is personal to them, whether they decide to get passports or not. Your choice is your choice and mine is mine, all is good.

And I said:

"DD(10) still has a year left on her current passport, her second. We bought her first when she was just 10 months old for an international flight. Last month, I renewed my DD(14)'s passport for our upcoming cruise, even though we don't have plans to travel internationally by air with our children in the next 5 years. And I wouldn't have done it if it was a waste of money."

So, you were indeed judging my expenditure on my DD's passport to be a waste of money.

But, yes, it's all good.:cool:

And I said:

"DD(10) still has a year left on her current passport, her second. We bought her first when she was just 10 months old for an international flight. Last month, I renewed my DD(14)'s passport for our upcoming cruise, even though we don't have plans to travel internationally by air with our children in the next 5 years. And I wouldn't have done it if it was a waste of money."

So, you were indeed judging my expenditure on my DD's passport to be a waste of money.

But, yes, it's all good.:cool:

You are right, the way that I wrote it sounds judgmental which wasn't my intent. What I should have written was if I have no plans to travel via international air with them within that window then it's my money down the drain.

You are right, the way that I wrote it sounds judgmental which wasn't my intent. What I should have written was if I have no plans to travel via international air with them within that window then it's my money down the drain.

Thank you.:)

• 2 weeks later...
How so?

We just hand them the birth certificate, they look at the info, and handed it back. Not sure how a passport would be easier than that.

At the Galveston port, the lines are divided between passport and not - passport lines are much shorter and take about 1/3 the time that the other lines take.

And another wrinkle, my wallet was stolen last weekend at a local store with all my ID in it - took my passport to the Driver's license bureau today and my wait was about 1/10th of what the others' waits were who had to have an enormous amount of doumentation.

Edited by isaiahsnana

This thread is chock-full of wrong information. Go to the cruise line and check their document requirements; after all, they're the ones who'll check your documents as you board.

Perhaps you should read the original post as to the question being asked. There was never an issue as to documentation NEEDED. The question was whether or not something else offered additional benefits.

People tend to bring other things into a conversation.

The actual INFORMATION is correct as to the documents needed.

OPINIONS may vary as to how beneficial they are if circumstances change.

Edited by Bookbug53

For instance? Just curious.

The most incorrect information in this thread was given by OP, who stated more than once, you only needed a BC to fly internationally. And, saying for a minor having a BC was pretty much the same thing as a passport. Or, that travel to Mexico or Canada might be different, implying it doesn't require a passport, which is incorrect

See posts #3, 8, 15, 17, 30, etc.

Most of the rest of the comments are pretty accurate.

Edited by 6rugrats

The most incorrect information in this thread was given by OP, who stated more than once, you only needed a BC to fly internationally. And, saying for a minor having a BC was pretty much the same thing as a passport. Or, that travel to Mexico or Canada might be different, implying it doesn't require a passport, which is incorrect

See posts #3, 8, 15, 17, 30, etc.

Most of the rest of the comments are pretty accurate.

I am curious how a first person account of some experience can be considered incorrect/inaccurate?

Is there any reason why it would be advantageous for a child to travel with a passport vs. a birth certificate? We will be in the Caribbean.

The simple answer is that it would be for exactly the same reasons as an adult. International law does not make exceptions for minors when it comes to situations where a Passport is required. That being said, you do not need a Passport to do a Closed Loop Cruise. But if you had a family emergency where you needed to jump off the ship in another country and fly home....you are out of luck without a Passport.

Hank

I feel like I'm not helping the thread stay on track by staying this :cool: but...

you're absolutely correct. You can show up at the US border and as a US citizen, they are required to let you enter, even if you have ZERO ID. Of course it could take hours and going through multiple chains of command, but they have to let you in if you are a US citizen.

Whether or not other countries let you in, is a whole other story...

You are correct that CBP cannot deny entry to a US citizen, however, the problem comes, in your scenario, of proving you're a citizen. They won't just take your word for it. They will have to search back through databases to find not only your birth certificate but also a photo ID as well.

Someone mentioned that they had additional scrutiny because the names on the BC and ID didn't match, but the OP thought it was a family with different names. I know that thousands of cruisers every year pass through CBP with a BC and ID that don't match the last name (adoption, marriage, divorce), but CBP rules are quite explicit that they can request the "bridging document" (as the poster mentioned, her marriage certificate) to prove the name change. Can you get through without it? Yes, and even if asked, it only means a delay while they search the databases. But a passport does all the "bridging" needed when you apply.